Thai Driving Licence

Hi People.

Pardon me if this is in the wrong forum, there seem to be the most knowledgeable crowd here.

Question:

I've read on a couple of sites that if I have an International Driving Permit (IDP) issued OUTSIDE Thailand I can get a Thai licence without the pain of the two tests.

Can anybody confirm or deny this? I will be in Thailand on a Non-O (marriage) visa.

Cheers

Dave C

Hi Crossy, I come into Thailand on a Non- immigrant visa carrying an international driving permit also and what I was told was to go to Bangkok and file with the police and immigration on a place of residence. There would be no driving test involved they said and was confirmed with two other Thai nationals Einglish speaking family members.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, i will have a non imm O Visa and IDP. Just need confirmation from the Australian embassy of my address in Bangkok then i can get my Thai driver's Licence.

just one question.... what do i need to take with me to the Aussie embassy to get this letter?

OK, i will have a non imm O Visa and IDP. Just need confirmation from the Australian embassy of my address in Bangkok then i can get my Thai driver's Licence.

just one question.... what do i need to take with me to the Aussie embassy to get this letter?

Nothing except cash.

Inform them that you are seeking proof of address. They will have a form for you to fill out with your details including address which basically states that you swear that the information given is correct.

Then they will get one of the aussie staff to come to you and ask again if the information is correct and once you have said that it is he/she will place the government stamp on the form and you are on your way

How much cash are we talking?

usually it's about 1.800 bt.

But this only applies if you are living countryside. Then you will have to bring this embassy paper to the nearest immigratyion, and they give you a paper with which you get your drivers license.

Living f.e. in Pattaya, it is much easier:

you go to the place where you stay, asking them to make a letter, that you have rent a condo, bring this to immigration, next day tyou get the letter for the driving license (free!!)

just before my international licence expired - I went to the local transport office in Phitsanulok where they issue licences - filled in the forms to apply for a licence - sat a simple A, B, C, test in English and a very basic driving test round a test cicuit and was given a licence, this has been renewed a couple of time and is now a 5 year licence.

Easy, no hassle, no tea money - everyone was polite and helpful.

The only problem you have is all the forms are in Thai - so you need a hand to fill them out

But this only applies if you are living countryside. Then you will have to bring this embassy paper to the nearest immigratyion, and they give you a paper with which you get your drivers license.

you go to the place where you stay, asking them to make a letter, that you have rent a condo, bring this to immigration, next day tyou get the letter for the driving license (free!!)

Didn't bother with the rip-off consulate part in Chiang Mai, just went straight to immigration and told them my address, provided a photo and they then did the letter for 300 baht.

Didn't bother with the rip-off consulate part in Chiang Mai, just went straight to immigration and told them my address, provided a photo and they then did the letter for 300 baht.

:o luchy you, but no chance in Isaan - although immi people are friendly, they adhere to the letter!

My own research:

IDL can't be accepted as drivers license because this is only translation of your drivers license according convention.

You must represent IDL and your current drivers license and it will be accepted.

Edited by Stock Man

my idp expired last dec, can i still use this to apply a local dl? can i present this with my dl from my home country or do i have to get new idp first before applying for a local dl?

No, you cannot use the expired one.

Yes, you must get a new one:

Thai Driver License

The paper documents needed to apply for a driving license

1. Passport with non-immigrant visa (original, before the visa expires)

and photo copy.

2. Present resident address certified by the applicant's Embassy and photo copy or work permit or Immigration officer and photo copy.

3. 2 photos 2.5 inches.

4. Doctor report of doctor treatment (not over 1 month).

5. For the driving license that a foreign government has given

(the same type of vehicles that asking for the driving license)

and it is not expired yet, the embassy can translate and guarantee the

translating documents into Thai language.

6. International Driving Permit (convention on international road traffic of 19

September 1949) original and photo copy which is not expired.

Look here:

http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport/#applying

Why get a Thai driving license when we can drive with the IDL?

IDL can't be accepted as drivers license because this is only translation of your drivers license according convention.

You must represent IDL and your current drivers license and it will be accepted.

Why get a Thai driving license when we can drive with the IDL?

I would be very interested if anyone could show me something called an "IDL".

RDN- I have an IDL. I needed it in Japan to rent a car.

Is it actually called an "International Driving - or Driver's - License"?

I have an "International Driving Permit" and that is the term used by the Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office web site. I just want to get the terminology right :o