North & South Thailand

Ricardo

The majority of people on the North-West & North-East support Thaksin/TRT/PPP, whereas the majority in the South & Bangkok support the Democrats, notice I leave aside mentioning the UDD/PAD as both are non-parliamentary fringe-groups.

Other countries have split into two, Ireland & Korea & Iraq spring immediately to mind.

So wouldn't it be better just to draw a line, somewhere just north of Bangkok, and let them both get on with it ?

Thaksin could come home, and be welcomed in the North, the Dems could form a government for Bangkok & the South, don't know who'd draw the short-straw & get Pattaya, but that's just a detail.

I know there is a very strong cultural feeling, against giving away any land to another country like Burma or Cambodia, but in this case it would still all be in Thai hands, just with two different political administrations, so that need not apply.

The division is more rich/not rich than north/south. I think a better idea would be to send all the royalists, Thai-Chinese Bangkokians, and violent Southern separatists to Mumbai and Thailand would be a wonderful country again! I'll chip in on the airfare for them - coach fare!

The division is more rich/not rich than north/south. I think a better idea would be to send all the royalists, Thai-Chinese Bangkokians, and violent Southern separatists to Mumbai and Thailand would be a wonderful country again! I'll chip in on the airfare for them - coach fare!

Hit the nail on the head with that post.You missed the farang teachers in bangkok though hehehehehehhe.

It certainly would be an excellent opportunity, to do the unthinkable, and solve that one too. :o

Yep....draw the line, put up a big wall like that between Israel and the West Bank, no crossing...done

BTW, that wall between Israel and the West Bank is an ugly, depressing thing to see...but you cannot argue with the effectiveness.

Pattaya - or include its Chonburi hinterland - would emerge as a Singaporean-style city state in such a disintegration. Currently it makes Bangkok look like the dangerous, failed state it is, and Pattaya would emerge powerfully from such a carve-up. Sadly it will never happen.