Thai Airways Operates Special Flight For Haj Pilgrims

george

Thai Airways operates special flight for haj pilgrims

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International (THAI) arranged a special charter flight Friday to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, from Had Yai Airport to accommodate hundreds of Thai-Muslim haj pilgrims who were stranded in Bangkok by the airport closure.

"So far we have managed to arrange just one charter flight, with a capacity for 250 passengers," said a THAI spokeswoman.

The TG8534 flight, departing from Had Yai Airport Friday afternoon will use an Airbus A300-600 aircraft to fly direct to Jeddah.

-- The Nation 2008-11-28

============

Stranded Muslim pilgrims seen crying inside Bangkok airport

BANGKOK: -- Many aged Muslims, who have been left stranded inside the Suvarnabhumi International Airport, were seen Friday morning crying.

They apparently lost hope that they would be able to travel to attend the Hajj in Mecca in time.

Many were seen sitting absent-minded with tears running down their cheeks.

Some came outside the passengers terminal to sit under the sun, apparently because they were not used to the cool weather inside the building.

About 450 Muslim pilgrims were left stranded after Iran Air cancelled its flight to pick them up for Hajj following the besieging of the airport by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

-- The Nation 2008-11-28

What's missing from this story is how THAI moved these passengers from Bangkok (where they are claimed to have been stranded) to Hat yai (from where their special flight departed). Everything else being equal, wouldn't it have been easier to fly them from U-Tapao? :o

From today's Bangkok Post:

Pridi Chueaphudee, adviser to the Chularatchamontri, the leader of Thailand's Islamic community, and the Central Islamic Committee of Thailand, said the annual pilgrimage to Mecca was spiritually important to all Muslim people. An airport blockade could send a wrong message of religious intolerance to Saudi Arabia.

:o:D:D

And who would they have been flying with anyway.

Both Orient Thai and "one 2 go" (who have been traditional carriers of pilgrims to haj for some years) have been grounded since early July 2008 due to poor safety standards.

It is possible that they might be back in the air next week :o

Another airline "Kamphuchea" (a subsidiary of Orient Thai) has also also carried out haj charter flights. Whether it is still flying I really do not know.

All come under the umbrella of Udom Tantiprasonchai.

I would not set foot inside the hatch of any one of them :D

Crying?

God this event is on every year isnt it?

Just go next year or watch it on TV.

Maybe you should rethink this. The Haj is considered a pillar of Islam. Some people save up for years in order to make the trip because they just plain don't make that much money. Comparing it to a TV show rather trivializes it, don't you think?

Having said that, I am still bewildered how they can pull this off if there really is a blockade of protesters at the airport? How that translates into religious intolerance is beyond me as well. How giving travel to one group of people over the others who also just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time is supposed to appear tolerant just tells me how far political correctness has eroded the world's common sense. Why aren't they giving everyone at the airport a ride to another airport where they can change their tickets at least instead of leaving them stranded? How are they any less worthy than those traveling to Mecca?

Crying?

Maybe you should rethink this. The Haj is considered a pillar of Islam. Some people save up for years in order to make the trip because they just plain don't make that much money. Comparing it to a TV show rather trivializes it, don't you think?

Having said that, I am still bewildered how they can pull this off if there really is a blockade of protesters at the airport? How that translates into religious intolerance is beyond me as well. How giving travel to one group of people over the others who also just happen to be at the wrong place at the wrong time is supposed to appear tolerant just tells me how far political correctness has eroded the world's common sense. Why aren't they giving everyone at the airport a ride to another airport where they can change their tickets at least instead of leaving them stranded? How are they any less worthy than those traveling to Mecca?

They're not stranded. They're now hostages of PAD and their financiers- uh ... maybe Thai airways?? :o

Crying?

:o Thai Airlines doesn't run buses do they? As far as I know thw bus stations in BKK are still open. It is posible to take a bus to Malaysia or some other place where a flight is available. Or you can take the train down to Penang, and leave from there. You could also leave from Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam. Or I understand there are flights out of Phuket to nearby countries where you can pick up international flights back to Europe or the U.S.

The reason that the Haj is treated differntly is due to that fact that by Islam at least one trip to Mecca for a Haj is a pillar of the Islamic religion. Their is enough discontent and hatred by the Moslems in the south of Thailand already, the Thai government takes the Haj flights seriously for that reason. Also, to be fair, Thai Air and the other airlines that provide Haj flights make a good profit on those flights (the Saudi government often subsidises Haj flights for all needy all moslems who desire to make the Haj trip, and the Saudis have oil money).

I spent 5 years in Saudi Arabia, and I understand Islam better than many westerners do. Not all Moslems follow the true spirit of Islam, but like Christianity, if a Moslem really lived the Islamic faith as it was intended, they, and the world, would be much better off. Of course, some don't do that, but then again that also applies to many so-called Christians,doesn't it.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I have deleted comments discussing moderation. Forum rules prohibit discussion of moderation on open forum, ie. on any of the threads. If you have a concern/question about moderation or why certain posts were deleted - you are free to PM a moderator - be it the ones who took the said actions, or any other MOD you see online. Alternatively you may PM an ADMIN, or email

support[at]thaivisa.com

if you refer to forum rules you will get an idea of what posts get deleted. some of them include:

posts provoking violence, hate etc

posts that are off-topic/trollish

at times posts that are somewhat/slight off-topic, but in good banter may be tolerated. However with events of recent days in Thailand, there are numerous threads running about political situation and news about whats happening. Lots of people are hoping to use the site as a place to get collated update of news. For this reason we will need to apply the off topic rules even more rigorously.

any further discussion of moderation or other violation of forum rules will earn you a posting suspension.

best wishes :o

Easy. The flight in question departed from Hat Yai.

Please remember that not all Thai muslim live in the deep south. We are all over Thailand. In Bangkok, for an example, you can find many of us in NangChok, Prawet, Bangna, Sukhumvit, etc. Have you not seen a big mosque on your right, by the motorway, as you are on the way to the airport?

Will or would there have been exemptions for Christmas aswell then

Seriously doubt that :o

Interesting point, so, if all christians start crying because they want to be in their respective countries for xmas will special flights be put on ?..i wont hold my breath,.

Interesting point, so, if all christians start crying because they want to be in their respective countries for xmas will special flights be put on ?..i wont hold my breath,.

They are doing "special" flights already, or are the flights out of the military airport and extra flights out of Chiang Mai regular flights ??

Edited by Carib

Nice thought GG,however the muslims want to go to pay respect, the farang want to go home to unwrap a pair of socks from aunt alice, there is a difference, :D:D

Crying?

This is a very sensitive insult. I hope you remove such comment. I shall also report you.

Hold the horses GlenOrd,

If this is an insult, (to me it is a half joking remark) than here is your chance to explain why it is so.

Problem with people from different countries/continents /colours/religions is that we sometimes al do speak a same language, but that it doesn't explain the habits and special rites.

:o

Crying?

This is very true.

Any more posts of such nature and the originator will be suspended from the forum.

Please see the Forum Rules and rule 3 in particular... 3) Religious or racial slurs.

Hi All.

Can anyone tell me if the Red Rally called by the PPP Gov for yesterday went ahead? How many attended? and was it peaceful?

phupaman.

This is the wrong forum. This one discuss about Haj. There is another forum ongoing discussing the UDD gathering.

THAI service two speical flights to Mecca from Hat Yai

Thai International Airways will provide two special flights for Thai-Muslim pilgrims to Mecca from Hat Yai airport.

The service came after anti-government protesters shut down the airports since November 25.

Saudi Arabia has authorized the THAI to operate an additional flight to accommodate 500 stranded Thai-Muslim pilgrims to join the haj pilgrimage on December 1 (Monday).

Flight TG 8544, Airbus A300-600 aircraft will depart Hat Yai Airport at 10.45am and arrive Jeddah at 5.28pm (local time).

On Tuesday, THAI will operate flight TG 8540 which will depart Hat Y at 00.30pm and arrive Jeddah at 7.07am (local time).

Source: The Nation - 01 December 2008

Ok my last posting was scrubbed off here...

I read on another blog site that the..how shall I describe them.... 'muslim freedom fighters' of the south, contacted the PAD and said if don't let these people go on their pilgrimage, we'll make trouble for you...and hence the PAD cannot afford to also loose support from the south...ergo

pilgrims were able to fly !!!!

Once again, for the benefit of those who don''t appear to have the ability to digest what has been posted at least three times on this thread, the flight in question departed from Hat Yai airport, not from Bangkok. Sorry to burst the conspiracy bubble but this special flight from Hat Yai did not require some special dispensation from PAD.