Growing Vegetables

bulbous

Anybody have experience or can give advice about growing vegetables in the North East?

I was thinking spuds, onions and cabbages alongside usual local varieties.

Anybody want to give it a try?

Have never done anything like this but we have land and are serious about having food even after collapse of world financial markets

Anybody have experience or can give advice about growing vegetables in the North East?

Have never done anything like this but we have land and are serious about having food even after collapse of world financial markets

We have grown tomatoes, onions, chilli, lettuce, cabbages and sundry herbs in Si Sa Ket with great success. Tried to grow spuds but it was a complete failure.

Veggie garden now is a bit destiute....many excuses but probably getting lazy in my old age so better pick up my game..

I tried to grow the LARGE varieties of juicy tomatoes with dismal results. They blossomed and fruited well but the plants died when the tomatoes were about golf ball sized. I did try 5 different varieties including Beefsteak and hybrids. The cherry tomatoes and Thai rubber ball varieties do fine. I had the same results from potatoes but those sprouted plantings came from the local market and were not proper seed potatoes. Since we are now in the cold dry season, I want to try potatoes again with good seed potatoes.

We visit the Asoke village near Ubon, they grow loads of vegetables, and at new year you can buy young plants from them in trays, very cheaply. They also will give advice on planting, sunny/shady, etc. We have grown tomatoes and chillies from there; we also grow pak boon, some cabbage-like stuff, and a few other vegetables, quite succesfully. The tomatoes are a local variety that do very well in this climate. The Asoke village grows huge cabbages too.

Here my wife is showing off her harvest.

post-21307-1228395579_thumb.jpg

Edit> I forgot to mention, onions and garlic do very well too. Also sweet corn, and of course lemon grass.

Edited by phibunmike