One-way Tickets

booma

I am currently trying to get to Thailand!

At the moment flights are pretty full and very expensive, I was contemplating buying a one way ticket, and sorting my return out when I wished to come home (UK?) as this would be much cheaper (my last flight from BKK cost 11000B, very cheap).

Would I get into the country? My return ticket seems to've never been checked before!?!??!

At the moment flights are pretty full and very expensive, I was contemplating buying a one way ticket, and sorting my return out when I wished to come home (UK?) as this would be much cheaper (my last flight from BKK cost 11000B, very cheap).

Would I get into the country? My return ticket seems to've never been checked before!?!??!

Although you're suppose to have return ticket, they never check - i'd just get the one way.

It's usually the airlines who want to implement the system. In my own experience I am asked for ticket or visa about 50% of all flights.

A much better solution, of course, get a visa for Thailand and you can fly on a one-way ticket.

It's usually the airlines who want to implement the system. In my own experience I am asked for ticket or visa about 50% of all flights.

Yes, it is the airline that asks, but you can just tell them you plan on leaving the country by train or bus, or any excuse - the airlines are not going to stop you from flying.

Yes, it is the airline that asks, but you can just tell them you plan on leaving the country by train or bus, or any excuse - the airlines are not going to stop you from flying.

They are a lot tougher nowdays. If you are refused entry they are fined and have to carry you out at airline expense. Just get a visa.

I may be wrong, one way tickets used to cost 80% of a return ticket. This may have changed with all the discount travel available. There are so many different ticket codes available now.

I assume you have looked at some of the cheap airfare sites like Lastminute and Zuji.

The airlines usually check you have a valid Visa and return ticket at check-in. Your carrier is responsible to return you to your country of departure if you are rejected at the destination.

Cheers

NL

One way tickets are always expensive. Alternatively, you may try to get a return ticket with a 6 month open return or a one year open return which is better.

If your ticket agent doesnt know what they are, then they are useless......use someone else!!

Good Luck!

One way tickets are always expensive. Alternatively, you may try to get a return ticket with a 6 month open return or a one year open return which is better.

If your ticket agent doesnt know what they are, then they are useless......use someone else!!

Good Luck!

You/ll still need a visa with an open ticket or alternatively a return flight date within 30 days of arrival in Thailand which could be changed upon arrival to a later date thus avoiding any potential problems with your carrier.......probably far easier just to get the relevant tourist visa before leaving home. :o

Some airlines have stopped me travelling from UK-BKK on a one-way ticket even with a visa , they insist on evidence that you have a ticket out of the Kingdom.

British Airways and Philippine airlines are 2 that forced me to buy a ticket out of the country (Penang) and they would not let me board without this.

Some airlines have stopped me travelling from UK-BKK on a one-way ticket even with a visa , they insist on evidence that you have a ticket out of the Kingdom.

British Airways and Philippine airlines are 2 that forced me to buy a ticket out of the country (Penang) and they would not let me board without this.

Yes, it happens all the time. Guess lack of training, a real problem when the supervisors neither have any glue.

To avoid it, if possible, I print out some relevant rules and show them during check-in, if required.

Yes, it happens all the time. Guess lack of training, a real problem when the supervisors neither have any glue.

To avoid it, if possible, I print out some relevant rules and show them during check-in, if required.

Where can these rules be found ?

Yesterday I checked in with Thai air ways. I showed them my visa and was confirmed this was enough. I then asked if she was "just being nice to me or she really was following the rules". I was confirmed the rules were being followed. I then offered to show my ticket out of Thailand and to my surprise she wanted to see my ticket. However obtaining a visa might require a ticket out of the country, so there you go again.

International Air Transport Association (IATA) provides and manages a search engine and database which the check in staff or ticketing staff can call up.

This, however, is limited to the easiest situation. Like: EU-passport-holder to BKK, visa not required up to 30 days, but needs return/out bound ticket.

For safe guarding IATA as well suggests:

You may wish to double-check foreign entry requirements by contacting your local Embassy or Consulate.

The only way I found, is trying to apply for common sense. For ex. I was stopped at Heathrow for going to Bahrain w/out visa. They only let me board after showing my stamps from previous trips, also w/out visa.

Or in Singapore had a bit of an argument, my passport was valid for just 4 more months, I had a re-entry-permit but no return ticket. Not in the book, but finally accepted by the supervisor.

Could go on endlessly. But one thing I should add. When going into a new area, I ask the airline to check the rules for me and to print it out. Example that happened, top page in the computer said, "nationals of ...... country need visa",

3 clicks deeper down came the remark: "visa can be applied upon arrival, however, we do not advise as very time consuming". Asked for a print out of this and succeded to board after showing it at check in.

Flying without return/out bound ticket but visa, I did not find a clear rule in any data base. As said, common sense, but not always available.

I was stopped a few years ago coming from Gatwick with Garuda (i think), Anyway they wouldn't let me board the plane without a return even when I showed them all my Thai entry/ exit stamps. Luckily I was very early checking in and had to go to another terminal and buy a fully refundable tickect on to Hong Kong. (took about an hour) Have been asked by Quantas recently, coming from Perth if I had an ongoing ticket, I said i had an e-ticket back to europe with another airline which they seemed happy enough.

99% they won't bother asking so but I think the best answer is to say you have an e-ticket ( not a partnership airline) .