Cancel Retirement Plans

PaddyThai

With the current situation in Thailand so bad, I wounder how many expats are re-considering their retirement plans. I also wonder how many retirees are feeling they may have made a mistake moving to LOS.

Many were moaning before the current crisis about inflation, exchange rate, crime etc. The recent developments and some forecasts for the future must be preying on most peoples minds.

My wife and I always planned to return to Thailand, hence my interest. We are not as keen as we were. My own view is that there are few 'perfect' places to spend your retirement. Where we live now is in economic meltdown with a rising crime rate.

Is the situatation really that bad?

I am thinking Thailand will suffer from the current political issues as well as the global financial situation. Some people will leave, some will stay but house prices etc will fall and the political situation will get back on it's usual bumpy way. There are some hot spots but the rest of Thailand is carrying on as normal, so unless you need to use the closed airports it really would not effect you that much. There airports are still airports open in Thailand.

With the current situation in Thailand so bad, I wounder how many expats are re-considering their retirement plans. I also wonder how many retirees are feeling they may have made a mistake moving to LOS.

Many were moaning before the current crisis about inflation, exchange rate, crime etc. The recent developments and some forecasts for the future must be preying on most peoples minds.

My wife and I always planned to return to Thailand, hence my interest. We are not as keen as we were. My own view is that there are few 'perfect' places to spend your retirement. Where we live now is in economic meltdown with a rising crime rate.

We stay! (farang couple from Belgium, living for 3 years in Los). Moaning people are everywhere, specially in Thailand it seems. Inflation, crime, ...: this is a international problem.

Exchange rate: at 45 TB/1 Euro now I leave the money in Europe, 6 months ago at 52 Tb/ 1 Euro we get enough for 2 years, because we know that was a good rate.

We live in Chiang Rai and here you would not know that there any problems in BKK. It's peaceful, the weather is pleasantly cool, and the people still smiling. One bright spot is that my language school boss is stranded in Ubon where she went for a wedding, no flights back and the daily bus fully booked.

The current troubles will not last, and in my opinion we still live in one of the safer places in the world. Remember Laos is a communist country and a lot less free.

It really depends on how wide a picture you are looking at. Sure right now isn't the best time to be viewing Thailand as a retirement home but, as in all of life, you have to take the long term view. I would say it's too early to be cancelling your plans just put them on ice while you consider your options. Six months time all the current mayhem may be but a distant memory.

We have been here in Chiang Mai for 6 years and also is relatively peaceful . There are still flights out of the airport to a number of destinations.

The always changing political/ economic situation has caused us to revise the here forever scenario and prior to this latest debacle had put our house up for sale and then to rent with a view to reducing our financial liability to LOS which would give us the ability to cut and run in the event of anything worse than we are seeing at the moment.

I would think the chances of selling anything for a half decent price here has now long gone for the foreseeable future. So we stay and make the best of it, which ain't too bad is it? :o

Golf is cheap so no doubt with the lack of tourists for the coming months/ years there will be even more deals around.

------------ Six months time all the current mayhem may be but a distant memory.
Yep we will probably have a new round of mayhem to consider. For me? I stay! No reason for change, this is just another one of lifes events along with the ecconomic situation, global warming etc. Edited by bdenner

The current troubles will not last, and in my opinion we still live in one of the safer places in the world. Remember Laos is a communist country and a lot less free.

And if another coup happens, who knows when the military will just decide for permanent control, and we'll become a carbon copy of Burma? Do you think it's possible in Thailand?

------------ Six months time all the current mayhem may be but a distant memory.
Yep we will probably have a new round of mayhem to consider. For me? I stay! No reason for change, this is just another one of lifes events along with the ecconomic situation, global warming etc.

exactly,the only reasons i can think of to leave thailand would be if it became a very dangerous place to live or i ran out of money,or if the immigration rules changed so much that it became unviable to stay here,i cant think of a better place to go in asia9for the same costs).

And if another coup happens, who knows when the military will just decide for permanent control, and we'll become a carbon copy of Burma? Do you think it's possible in Thailand?

In Thailand anything is possible, always expect the unexpected. But I think the people are a little too advanced for the country to follow Burma, they know all too well they've too much to lose.

However there is the overwhelming calming influence about which we can not comment and long may it stay that way.

anythings possible,always have an exit strategy if possible.

Fortunately for those of us staying, when this all gets sorted out, and the government pushes for some serious regulation changes to bring back the lost expats and tourists, we'll be here to reap the maximum benefit. Woohoooo

I don't think you will find that foreigners living here will be a priority. :o

I am thinking Thailand will suffer from the current political issues as well as the global financial situation. Some people will leave, some will stay but house prices etc will fall and the political situation will get back on it's usual bumpy way. There are some hot spots but the rest of Thailand is carrying on as normal, so unless you need to use the closed airports it really would not effect you that much. There airports are still airports open in Thailand.

Yes, where have you been? . I mean it's not Zimbabwe, but the foreign money doesn't go nearly as far, and you have to fend for yourself out here. Choosing to come to a place with rank problems is not very sensible, it's different when you have to live somewhere.The political situation is not short lived. Postponement is the best option.

Certainly many people are predicting a crash in the baht, and falling house prices.

If it wasn't for the newspapers and the internet I wouldn't even know what is going on in Bangkok. As far as I am concerned it could be another country.

The only effect I've noticed is that there are fewer tourists walking around. Which is bad for the local businesses.

A much bigger effect has been the politicians in the "stable" democracies. In particular the Labour party and the Brown/Darling inspired BOOM and BUST. In spite of being out of the UK for more than 30 years, those two are causing me more worry than any political circus in Thailand. A few examples

- A substantial capital loss due to the Icelandic financial system collapsing

- A substantial income drop due to the GBP sinking

- A gradual eroding of my pension, as the UK doesn't index link pensions paid to Thailand

And for anybody still paying tax in the UK there is a nasty tax increase on the horizon to pay for Brown's spending.

Over my ten years in Thailand things have been steadily improving, for me and for the Thais.

And to take an unpopular view (depending on which colour your shirt is), Thaksin, in spite of all his selfish aspects, managed to provide a direction and, if he came back, would STILL get elected, due to overwhelming support in the rural areas. He also successfully built up a massive international telecommunications company (in comparison to all the career politicians in Farangland, who mostly couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery and make a profit). The IMF debt was paid off and the country was basically doing alright.

So, who would you really want? An astute and successful businessman who, in the process of successfully governing the country made some money for himself, or a couple of career politicians (Brown and Darling), who, in the process of failing miserably to govern a country, made a lot of money for themselves as well?

Hubby and I moved to Chiang Mai about three weeks ago with our new retirement visas. Haven't had any problems and we've had many rental options for housing. Many properties we looked at had been empty for several months. We've settled on a condo rental and found the process of opening bank account, getting money from US into that account, setting up phone, mobile, internet, cable TV, etc to be much easier than in the US. Maybe it's because all those offices are at Central so it's easy to visit them in person vs. trying to do things over the phone.

The exchange rate for the US dollar is good. The weather is beautiful in CM. The people are friendly and the food is good, cheap and plentiful. Sure we haven't sold our house in the U.S. yet, but we figured it was more fun to live frugally here vs. in our home in the cold, grey, depressed Great Lakes region of the U.S. waiting maybe years for the house to sell.

Hubby and I moved to Chiang Mai about three weeks ago with our new retirement visas. Haven't had any problems and we've had many rental options for housing. Many properties we looked at had been empty for several months. We've settled on a condo rental and found the process of opening bank account, getting money from US into that account, setting up phone, mobile, internet, cable TV, etc to be much easier than in the US. Maybe it's because all those offices are at Central so it's easy to visit them in person vs. trying to do things over the phone.

The exchange rate for the US dollar is good. The weather is beautiful in CM. The people are friendly and the food is good, cheap and plentiful. Sure we haven't sold our house in the U.S. yet, but we figured it was more fun to live frugally here vs. in our home in the cold, grey, depressed Great Lakes region of the U.S. waiting maybe years for the house to sell.

good for you hope you enjoy for a long time,a good post for those who still sit on the fence re "will i wont i come to thailand"

If it wasn't for the newspapers and the internet I wouldn't even know what is going on in Bangkok. As far as I am concerned it could be another country.

The only effect I've noticed is that there are fewer tourists walking around. Which is bad for the local businesses.

A much bigger effect has been the politicians in the "stable" democracies. In particular the Labour party and the Brown/Darling inspired BOOM and BUST. In spite of being out of the UK for more than 30 years, those two are causing me more worry than any political circus in Thailand. A few examples

- A gradual eroding of my pension, as the UK doesn't index link pensions paid to Thailand

And for anybody still paying tax in the UK there is a nasty tax increase on the horizon to pay for Brown's spending.

Over my ten years in Thailand things have been steadily improving, for me and for the Thais.

And to take an unpopular view (depending on which colour your shirt is), Thaksin, in spite of all his selfish aspects, managed to provide a direction and, if he came back, would STILL get elected, due to overwhelming support in the rural areas. He also successfully built up a massive international telecommunications company (in comparison to all the career politicians in Farangland, who mostly couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery and make a profit). The IMF debt was paid off and the country was basically doing alright.

So, who would you really want? An astute and successful businessman who, in the process of successfully governing the country made some money for himself, or a couple of career politicians (Brown and Darling), who, in the process of failing miserably to govern a country, made a lot of money for themselves as well?

give thaksin anytime over brown/darling,a buch of scumbags.

I am years away from retirement but decided before this incident I will not retire in Thailand. I used to have Thailand fever and could think of nothing that would be better than living in Thailand full time. After having lived here for a year on a student visa the exotic charm I used to feel on my holidays is still there but has been paired with the incompetence and lack of accountability in nearly all walks of life. Sometimes this is amusing other times it's a major problem like right now. I would primarily be worried about the lack of competence in medical professionals as my years get advanced. I have confidence the doctors can diagnose and treat your typical illness but if it were something more difficult to understand I have no confidence.

I also do not like the shifting political landscape and what they would mean for any property or other investments I took in Thailand. I feel more comfortable knowing I can leave at a moments notice without any real loss or regrets. If I am able I would prefer to retire in my home country and come here for vacations.

Its not that bad yet, but it has the potential to absolutely explode.

The country is headed into a civil war. Hopefully, it remains a non violent civil war.

PAD is making it rather clear that they will hold the entire country with a gun to their head if they don't get what they want. The entire Northern region is threatening to come to Bangkok if their right to representation is once again taken away.

Suppose the red shirts close down the airport and then the army is not worried about civilian causalities. Then will bombs start going off at Bangkok Banks? Etc Etc...

Hopefully it will all stay peaceful but did you see that Ram Stadium filled with red t-shirts????? Do you think PPP is lying when they say theyll bring 20,000 red shirts per MP to Bkk?

Edited by dave9988

So I guess you are in the UK.

Must admit with this present crisis going on, I dont blame people consider retiring here, thinking this way.

Increased crime and civil unrest is going to be a feature of many if not most economies, if the current economic crisis plays out to conclusion and Thailand is unlikely to escape this. Given that is true I wonder where I would rather be, in Thailand or in another country where there is an effective policing deterrent, not sure yet.

Thailand had so many coups and they were never a problem for farangs.

You go through stages here.

"Oh look, Cedric, that cute monk at that gorgeous wat! And the food here is so aroi mahk!"

"Cedric, don't touch that dog. You don't know where it's been. Watch your step! Those tuk tuks are so smelly!"

"Omigod, Cedric! Aren't these mountain roads breathtaking? Nothing like the moors of Devon!"

"Cedric, if I see one more plate of somtam, I will hurl my guts. Watch out for that motosai!"

You go through stages here.

"Oh look, Cedric, that cute monk at that gorgeous wat! And the food here is so aroi mahk!"

"Cedric, don't touch that dog. You don't know where it's been. Watch your step! Those tuk tuks are so smelly!"

"Omigod, Cedric! Aren't these mountain roads breathtaking? Nothing like the moors of Devon!"

"Cedric, if I see on more plate of somtam, I will hurl my guts out. Watch out for that motosai!"

yes the love affair with thailand and everything thai usually lasts 2 years and then reality sets in but its not a bad reality.

One of Thatcher's supporters, I expect. Out of UK for more than 30 years and still thinks he has the right to waffle on about what is happening at home. You left the UK beore these guys were ever on the scene and have the right to criticise from afar?????

Brown and Darling are doing what they think is best to solve the problems for the UK, but please remember it is world problem which has hit UK. People like you are a real pain, you wouldn't even look good in some colonial movie. Why did you and your like LOSE the Empire? Maybe because of your attitude??

I like a man who nails his colours to the mast :o:D

One of Thatcher's supporters, I expect.

She provided firm leadership and reduced the power of the unions.

Out of UK for more than 30 years and still thinks he has the right to waffle on about what is happening at home. You left the UK beore these guys were ever on the scene and have the right to criticise from afar?????

I have the right to vote and draw a full pension from the UK. I also have 30 years of observing political systems and politicians outside the UK, so at least I can compare performances and do not have the blinkered "British is Best" opinion. The average Brit does not have a clue about politics or indeed life in other countries and has nothing to compare, the "British Island Mentality".

Brown and Darling are doing what they think is best to solve the problems for the UK, but please remember it is world problem which has hit UK.

The world is taking a blow, but the UK is being hit the worst in the world because of the Labour party and their decisions over the last decade. They did nothing to stop the rampant house market prices, they did nothing to stop the excesses of the banks, they did nothing to develop a productive industrial base. Instead they spent, borrowed, spent and borrowed. After eight years of continuous economic "growth", based solely on credit expansion and rising house prices, the Labour party has left the UK in more debt then ever before. And now intends to remedy the situation by INCREASING national debt.

People like you are a real pain, you wouldn't even look good in some colonial movie.

Sorry for telling the truth. And why am I a real pain? Don't like my opinion? I would look awful in any movie, as indeed does the UK and Brown on the international stage.

Why did you and your like LOSE the Empire? Maybe because of your attitude??

Because we never deserved it in the first place and because it is anachronistic to democracy. However, in its time the Brits did manage to set up infrastructures and political systems which have proven positive to the "ex-empire" members.

One of Thatcher's supporters, I expect.

She provided firm leadership and reduced the power of the unions.

Out of UK for more than 30 years and still thinks he has the right to waffle on about what is happening at home. You left the UK beore these guys were ever on the scene and have the right to criticise from afar?????

I have the right to vote and draw a full pension from the UK. I also have 30 years of observing political systems and politicians outside the UK, so at least I can compare performances and do not have the blinkered "British is Best" opinion. The average Brit does not have a clue about politics or indeed life in other countries and has nothing to compare, the "British Island Mentality".

Brown and Darling are doing what they think is best to solve the problems for the UK, but please remember it is world problem which has hit UK.

The world is taking a blow, but the UK is being hit the worst in the world because of the Labour party and their decisions over the last decade. They did nothing to stop the rampant house market prices, they did nothing to stop the excesses of the banks, they did nothing to develop a productive industrial base. Instead they spent, borrowed, spent and borrowed. After eight years of continuous economic "growth", based solely on credit expansion and rising house prices, the Labour party has left the UK in more debt then ever before. And now intends to remedy the situation by INCREASING national debt.

People like you are a real pain, you wouldn't even look good in some colonial movie.

Sorry for telling the truth. And why am I a real pain? Don't like my opinion? I would look awful in any movie, as indeed does the UK and Brown on the international stage.

Why did you and your like LOSE the Empire? Maybe because of your attitude??

Because we never deserved it in the first place and because it is anachronistic to democracy. However, in its time the Brits did manage to set up infrastructures and political systems which have proven positive to the "ex-empire" members.

Jeez, you do go on, don't you? 30 years away gives you the right to criticise Briatin in a FOREIGN website.?Why didn't you try to change it from within, as was your right in all these 30 years?