Dual Boot - Vista/xp

satiariyan

Hi,

I have Windows XP installed on one partition and have lately installed Vista on another. Vista came along with a bootloader with a menu from which I can choose to boot either of them. Everything works just fine. No problem booting either which runs with no problem in utter ignorance of the existence of the other.

The ony thing is that I would like is to change the default bootup partitition from Vista to XP. Anyone who knows how to do this?

Actually, what would suit my needs the best would probably be some 3. party program - that works on both Vista and XP - and from which I can change default boot-OS from within either OS and preferably one which also allows me to choose whitch OS to boot next (without changing default) when choosing "Restart" from the shut-down options in either OS (guys familiar with e.g. SUSE will know what I mean). Any recommendations?

I use EasyBCD. It is mentioned in the article garyh posted above.

Thank You All.

I've had a go with with EasyBCD. Although not the ultimately perfect solution, it comes close enough. It installs okay on XP as well as Vista. Under both OS's you can setup the basics such as which OS to boot by default after how many seconds. As for selecting on the fly which OS to boot next, EasyBCD does not have the option by itself but the package (as I got it) has an optional addon named "iReboot" which installs in the systembar and allows you to do exactly what I (for one) need - placing checkmarks appropiately you can initiate a reboot, take a walk, and come back and rightaway start working on your chosen OS.

FYI all, boot.ini is no more in Vista. Vista bootloader uses a binary database file and a complicated command line tool to set things like the default OS. Took me half a day or research to change my defaults the last time around.

EasyBCD looks like the ticket... :o

One more item to consider when dual booting XP and Vista.

When XP and Vista are installed in a dual-boot configuration, every time XP is booted it deletes any system restore points that Vista created (including "shadow copies" of files) and all but the latest backup, if the Vista application known as Complete PC Backup has been used. Microsoft acknowledges the problem and recommends two workarounds.

Microsoft's solution: No restore points are available when you use Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 in a dual-boot configuration together with an earlier Windows operating system

FYI all, boot.ini is no more in Vista. Vista bootloader uses a binary database file and a complicated command line tool to set things like the default OS. Took me half a day or research to change my defaults the last time around.

This might depend on Vista version. However the version called 'Vista Ultimate SP 1" actually does have a handy graphical tool to set default bootup OS and timeout: --- 'Control Panel --> System --> Advanced --> Startup and recovery --> Settings' is where I find it on my version, which is the one mentioned. So, actually, I wouldn't need EasyBCD if I didn't need the functionality to select which OS to reboot next which is provided by the system tray utility 'iReboot' rather than EasyBCD.

Edited by satiariyan

I had stopped to use an Boot Manager some years ago. Instead I use to install each OS on it's own HDD and disconnect all other HDD's within installing. After that I reconnect the Drives and use the Bios function like F8, F11, F12 or whatever that Bios is using, for to tell the bios which HDD I like to use while startup the computer.

Cheers.

Why do people always give the hard way to do stuff and download utlilities....easy way

Right click my computer on desktop>> properties>>>>3rdt tab(in Vista) advanced>>startup and recovery>settings>>default operating system and change that.

Easiest way didn't mean safe way!

In case you use an Boot Manager like the one from Microsoft, even if you install the second OS on the 2. HDD, there will still some system files on the first drive and if that drive fails, you're NOT able to boot any of that OS's using an Boot Manager. But if I use the way as described in my other post, I can still boot from that HDD which still works and I'm maybe able to recover the bad one.

That was happens for me several times since I use that way while I was having several times problems before using an Boot Manager.

From my point of view, the safe way is more important than the easy way.

Cheers.