Cost Of Gold Jewelery/buy

WilliamCave

Hi, was woundering were I could buy a few pieces of gold jewelery in bangbotong or bangpo area or the mall area. want to buy a christmas present for the wife and am looking at spending about 40 to 50 thousand baht...

what could I get for this money, looking at a necklace.

thanks ahead

Hi, was woundering were I could buy a few pieces of gold jewelery in bangbotong or bangpo area or the mall area. want to buy a christmas present for the wife and am looking at spending about 40 to 50 thousand baht...

thanks ahead

how much is gold jewelery in bangkok now. does anyone know

thanks ahead

Price of gold on 6th December is 13,300 baht per 15.2 grams but you have to pay always extra charge (goldsmith charge) I am not sure how much may be 1,000-2,000 baht more for 15.2 grams.

What is the price of a gold bar [not jewelery]?? is it the same as the world gold price per oz?/ or are there comissions added by the shop......if so, then how much??

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want the wife to wear big gold, as it is an invitation for theft in these unstable times.

thanks ahead

Price of gold on 6th December is 13,300 baht per 15.2 grams but you have to pay always extra charge (goldsmith charge) I am not sure how much may be 1,000-2,000 baht more for 15.2 grams.

thanksCMCB u have helped, so for about 45,000 baht I can get a nice peice of jewelery

There are approx. 20 million peices of jewelery in the shops for around that price. It would probably be an idea if you knew what your girl likes and what you like. People on this forum don't know your tastes and therfore any decisions concerning taste are best made by you! :o

I am not a professional on this but:

With the money you have looks like you could buy a 3 baht gold piece, approx 1 1/2 troy oz. A 500 baht charge per oz or piece will be added on also. A necklace is best as it does not need to be sized for the person etc.

From what I have been able to estimate the profit made above the spot price is 10%. This includes the 23 carot, exchange rate$, 500 baht shop charge, grams per baht/troy ounce included in calculation.

The necklace thiefs are out in force so beware it could be 100% loss.

:o

OZ....

I'm a little confused by the numbers on that site you passed on to me http://www.goldtraders.or.th/index_en.php

They quote gold bullion [bars?] at a higher price than ornamental gold. Why would that be??

and how does that compare with the world gold price [in oz's]. What I'm wondering is what is the best way to buy gold here in LOS for investment??

Gold 96.5 % Buy Sell

Gold bars, Bullion (THB) 12800 12900

Gold Ornaments (THB) 12613.12 13300

A couple of weeks ago my wife invested in a total of 5 baht of gold. She went to four different shops. The shops all had a buy and sell price posted. There is no negotiation as far as price. All the shops were selling for 12,400 baht. The price changes daily.

Well I would advise to buy your lady a nice 3 bt bracelet, wearing a bracelet is a lot safer than wearing a chain around the neck. If you buy her a chain, she may be scared wearing it, and also risking someone ripping it from her neck.

If she wears the bracelet, she can easily cover it up with a wristband if she needs to.

There are some beautiful bracelets in the gold shops, plenty to shoose from.

The price of the gold changes every day, as i purchased some last week, and the price changed a little bit each day........

good luck.

With the money you have looks like you could buy a 3 baht gold piece, approx 1 1/2 troy oz. A 500 baht charge per oz or piece will be added on also. A necklace is best as it does not need to be sized for the person etc.

From what I have been able to estimate the profit made above the spot price is 10%. This includes the 23 carot, exchange rate$, 500 baht shop charge, grams per baht/troy ounce included in calculation.

I know more than a few Thai people who have had their gold jewellry stolen --snatched off their body or mugged. A bracelet is no guarantee of not having it snatched and personally, I think wearing a 3 baht bold chain is an invitation to be robbed.

Edited by LadyHeather

I know more than a few Thai people who have had their gold jewellry stolen --snatched off their body or mugged. A bracelet is no guarantee of not having it snatched and personally, I think wearing a 3 baht bold chain is an invitation to be robbed.

It is no guarantee, I agree, but to wear a bracelet rather than a huge chain on view around your neck might be a bit safer, i bracelet can easily be hidden if the lady was to see a gang of thugs.

thanks for your info all. I am going to buy here it when I get back to thailand for christmas, and it will be in the bangpo area were I have bought before. good to know the average price when I get there. it will be a necklace, she only wears the gold when we go out to nice restaurants or events.

That is how I picked my wife up after we were together for a month i bought her a friendship bracelet and she was floored by that because no one had ever give her a present like that before she told me later. (when she learnt better english)And my wife never asks me for anything all year and even our wedding her family paied for it and got all my dowery back (2000 people at the wedding) so buying gold for my wife is a romatic thing between us. we have every thing else we need so gold is for a present not an investment purpose, we have a few million bt in gold and her eyes still light up when I give her jeweler because she reminds me of when I gave her her first piece of jewelery. So for the romance part it is priceless.

thanks all be back in thailand soon.

Standard Thai 23K gold is about like cash here. The difference between buy and sell is only a couple hundred baht per baht weight. Buy gold in the US and when you have walked out of the shop, it is worth less than half of what you paid. That's NOT the case here. Bars may be fine for an investment but jewelry can be bought and sold anywhere in the country. We are not talking about jewelry shops that have a 300 or 400 percent mark up. Just avoid fancy jewelry shops and only buy from government approved shops.

Gold Baht Biscuit (ingot) here is the listed price on the link I provided earlier, some shops will charge nothing but the list price, but only have 5Bht biscuits. If you are looking to buy 1 or 2 baht, then china town. 100 baht commission for the shop. ie at present 1Bt 12900, so you pay 13000 for your 1bt ingot. 2 bt, you pay 150 commission, so the larger amount the less they charge you. Don't put up with these shops that put too much commission on, just move on to the next. The ingots are branded for their shop, so a large affair is safer if you intend to trade them for wealth, but in the end they are 96.5% and will be valued at an international gold weight price in any country. Lets do some math

Buy one Baht pay 100 commission, next time take your 1 bt ingot in, trade up to a 2bt ingot, if you do this at the same shop, pay the extra 50 Bt as you already payed 100 on the first one, and so on. In the end of course if you want to buy 5 and 10bt ingots, then just find a shop that has been there a long time, with no commission, and go plant your gold in the garden, with backwardization of gold happening at now, it seems like a good time. This is why you see now the buy price higher than the sell price on the site. The demand is outstripping the supply as more and more people look to 'physical' wealth protection.

IMHO, buying baht chains and jewelery is a waste of time, high commissions (which are never returned). You buy your 1Bht chain, pay well over its gold value for 'craftsmanship', then when try to sell it, get only the weight value minus any commission back.

My 2 cents

Oz

• 2 weeks later...
Standard Thai 23K gold is about like cash here. The difference between buy and sell is only a couple hundred baht per baht weight. Buy gold in the US and when you have walked out of the shop, it is worth less than half of what you paid. That's NOT the case here. Bars may be fine for an investment but jewelry can be bought and sold anywhere in the country. We are not talking about jewelry shops that have a 300 or 400 percent mark up. Just avoid fancy jewelry shops and only buy from government approved shops.

Spot on Gary,

I just bought (@ 13,000/one baht) a bag full of rings, mostly 2 salung or 1/2 baht weight and paid the same price as the small 1 baht ingots/biscuits. The gold content is the same @ 96.5 / 23 carat; after the increase of $60 an ounce overnight, I may go and get some more...,.,,.

Edited by excaliber