Chiang Mai Canopied Walkway To Be Se Asia's Longest

george

Chiang Mai canopied walkway to be SE Asia's longest

CHIANG MAI: -- The Natural Resources and Environment Ministry's Botanical Garden Organisation will invest Bt50 million to build Thailand's first canopied walkway in the Queen Sirikit Botanical Garden in Chiang Mai's Mae Rim district, a senior official said Monday.

The 350-by-20-metre walkway - to help research and stimulate ecotourism - is still at the design process and should be completed by 2010, organisation president Withoon Karuna said.

He added that before the project starts, an environmental impact assessment would be done to prevent damage to the 6,500rai garden, and if completed as planned, the walkway would be Southeast Asia's longest canopied walkway.

-- The Nation 2008-12-08

I think the Sirikit Botanical Garden is one of the best attractions around Chiang Mai. Great location, beautiful facilities, educational. If the walkway is built to the same standard, it will probably only improve the place. Isn't this the kind of government investment in the tourism infrastructure that everyone claims Chiang Mai needs?

I think the Sirikit Botanical Garden is one of the best attractions around Chiang Mai. Great location, beautiful facilities, educational.

Me too. AND they have a lot of plants for sale for your garden at really good prices; lots of tree seedlings and the like for 20-30-50 baht.

Everyone else can take another swig of their vinegar. :o

I think the Sirikit Botanical Garden is one of the best attractions around Chiang Mai. Great location, beautiful facilities, educational. If the walkway is built to the same standard, it will probably only improve the place. Isn't this the kind of government investment in the tourism infrastructure that everyone claims Chiang Mai needs?

Well, it would probably do allot more good to clear the down town streets, such as walking street, Thapae Rd. and the roads around the moat, of all the ad. boards, non-functioning ubersized concrete lamp posts and other garbage. Couple that with ordering the mom and pop car rentals to take there cars of the walk ways as well..........

One more "white elephant" I am afraid.

Well, it would probably do allot more good to clear the down town streets, such as walking street, Thapae Rd. and the roads around the moat, of all the ad. boards, non-functioning ubersized concrete lamp posts and other garbage. Couple that with ordering the mom and pop car rentals to take there cars of the walk ways as well..........

One more "white elephant" I am afraid.

I agree, widen the existing streets, add better lights, maybe even a few crosswalks.... Maybe it would add some safety for the tourists..... Hmmmmm by the way, where are all the tourists? :o

I agree, widen the existing streets, add better lights, maybe even a few crosswalks.... Maybe it would add some safety for the tourists..... Hmmmmm by the way, where are all the tourists?

They have changed vacation plans.

They read about "Southeast Asia's longest canopied walkway" and decided to wait until it was built excited001.gif

Build it and they will come

Edited by PoorSucker