Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

captacc6a6382f7c401cb71134c24b56637.jpg

A pro-Thaksin Shinawatra supporter throws punches at police as Thai legislators attempt to leave Parliament Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, in Bangkok, Thailand following the formation of a new government. Parliament chose Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva as the nation's new prime minister following months of political chaos.

Associated Press

captbdb5a8417c6f48959172520b17b1317.jpg

Protesters attack a car coming out of parliament with rocks after the voting for the country's prime minister in Bangkok, Thailand Monday, Dec. 15, 2008. Parliament chose opposition party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva as Thailand's prime minister Monday following months of political chaos, as supporters of the former government tried to blockade lawmakers in the building.

Associated Press

captc5773d7f8fa140639c7f6b57dfb0905.jpg

Pro-Thaksin Shinawatra supporters hurl barricades at the front of Parliament Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, in Bangkok, Thailand following the formation of a new government. Parliament chose Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva as the nation's new prime minister following months of political chaos.

Associated Press

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Abhisit proposes to fix that by amending the constitution should he assume the PM post. That could mean yet another referendum." Time magazine interview.

His thoughts from when he thought he was going to walk into power on the back of the last military set up.

Hope he has the balls to tell PAD and the generals/elite clique where to go and change the constitution back to the agreed 97(?) model. If he can achieve that and deliver his promised education and other reforms to the Isaan people then he maybe a very good solution for the present mess. I wish him the best of luck.

Well said +++1

He might have a chance as from what I can see, he is the only one in Politics that has never worn a uniform of some type. Except in his school days. :o

This is a good day for the country, in my opinion. That they finally managed to put a politician in office who is educated and articulate, with a clear passion for developing education in the country, is one of the best things Thailand could hope for. I wish him nothing but success, as he has a huge and difficult job in front of him.

Here here! I agree

BTW, I watched the news from a rural noodle shop in northernmost Thailand, while sitting with two women who are Thaksin fans. I had to stiffle my glee - so as not to offend - though doubtless my satisfaction showed.

Also: with PTP allegedly promising serious money for votes or no-shows, ....is PTP managers (and/or Thaksin or Ms Pojaman) going to follow through with their promises of tens of millions of baht to the MP's who complied - even if PTP didn't get the result they hoped for? In other words, is the payment predicated on the result of the vote?

Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand,

Elected by who? Certainly not the people

Elected by MP's, who were elected by the people.

When no Party has an absolute majority, coalitions must be formed and whatnot.

It's called a Parliamentary Zystem.

Name one Thai PM who has been elected by the people.

globalj, I think pammy will be working on that one. In case he hasn't heard, I believe prime ministers are elected by the parliamentarians themselves, as was Abhisit elected today.

capt414c7d8d3d9c4f36b7f97923e1bcfed.jpg

A pro-Thaksin Shinawatra supporter hurls stones at Thai legislators as they leave Parliament Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, in Bangkok, Thailand following the formation of a new government. Parliament chose Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva as the nation's new prime minister following months of political chaos.

Associated Press

capt16c86ddcb37144b4a12fe4beb0a2e68.jpg

capta8b7c6154bb84c67832a71fd80d5a5c.jpg

Pro-Thaksin Shinawatra supporters clash with riot police as Thai legislators attempt to leave Parliament Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, in Bangkok, Thailand following the formation of a new government. Parliament chose Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva as the nation's new prime minister following months of political chaos.

Associated Press

capt414c7d8d3d9c4f36b7f97923e1bcfed.jpg

A pro-Thaksin Shinawatra supporter hurls stones at Thai legislators as they leave Parliament Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, in Bangkok, Thailand following the formation of a new government. Parliament chose Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva as the nation's new prime minister following months of political chaos.

Associated Press

capt16c86ddcb37144b4a12fe4beb0a2e68.jpg

capta8b7c6154bb84c67832a71fd80d5a5c.jpg

Pro-Thaksin Shinawatra supporters clash with riot police as Thai legislators attempt to leave Parliament Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, in Bangkok, Thailand following the formation of a new government. Parliament chose Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva as the nation's new prime minister following months of political chaos.

Associated Press

Not many wearing RED in these pictures, a lot of blue must be a new party. :o

As for Mr Thaksin and his new PR man Sam Moon's 23 years of experience with 'The Economist' group (among others) hopefully this platform may be used to foster unity rather than divisiveness or negative/deflective PR from afar.

are you still post your copypasta BS of that lunatic The Nation conspiration theory on the Economist comment section?

did you check the "International Recognition" Abhisit seems to have. from his CV: "• One of 6 up and coming leaders for Asia, Time magazine 6 October 1997, New Voices for New Asia"

just google "New Voices for New Asia". or look into the TIME archive, than rethink.

and nobody wants to play with the Dem's, beside the army, PAD and Newin Gang. they are alone and admit allready that the have no clue.

However, Suthep (Thaugsuban, Democrat secretary-general) admitted to difficulties in persuading non-MP economic experts to join a new Cabinet, which he blamed on the volatile political situation.

"We may need some outsiders to work in the Cabinet, particularly in the field of the economy, but it is not easy to persuade people due to the ongoing political uncertainties. That's a big worry for us," he said. *

that the Dem's admit on the weekend. we lack of Experts, economy - no idea what to do. but okay, let's run for office, abhisit have such a nice smile.

and all what is said about his education, eton and oxford, means nothing. Abhisit has no clue what TO DO and much worse - he also don't know what he should NOT DO. he is a failure.

7901912o005805dsc01211wn7.jpg

He hasn't even been confirmed and you declare failer... silly bunny.

Considering the redshirts were throwing bombs into court judges homes at night,

I can imagine this gives family men pause to consider joining a Dem government...

Most economists prefer safe places to work.

The economic choices will get smaller and more difficult,

most any trained economist will see that writing on the wall.

It will be failer world wide before it is success,

Abhisit will have to ride that wave as all other leaders will.

But you can't call the game lost before the 1st pitch...

Oh wait, this is P_D, alternate universe, reversal of fortune, nothing is good.

What WAS I thinking.

Those of you who believe it is undemocratic for Abhisit to become Prime Minister would do well to study Thai history, where you will find any number of instances when the PM came from a minority party. Indeed, even Thaksin's 2001 win did not give him an absolute majority until he "bought up" some minor parties and persuaded them to merge with TRT.

The most notable Prime Minister from a minority party was M.R. Kukrit Pramoj who became PM in 1975. His party, the social Action Party, held only 18 seats in parliament, and he formed a coalition of no less than 16 political parties.

His government lasted just under a year, and he was preceded by his brother, Seni, leader of the Democrat party, who also led a minority coalition government, which lasted only a few weeks.

If you study this period in Thai political history, you will see there was just as much vote buying, parties jockeying for power and changing alliances, and interference from the military as there is today. Indeed it was the military who persuaded Kukrit to dissolve parliament as they weren't happy with the governemnt's percieved leftish drift.

Both Seni and Kukrit Pramoj were products of the English public school system, and both obtained degrees at Oxford University.

I wonder if history is about to repeat itself?

Can't beat an Oxford or Cambridge education, has to be good for the country.

Going to college or a good college does not make him a good leader, time will tell about his abilities to be a good leader or not….

For reference:

USA: Bush went to Yale and Harvard

Cambodia: Pol Pot went to a French college

N. Korea: Kim Jong-il went to college

Zimbabwe: Robert Mugabe went to college

Sudan: Omar al-Bashir went to college

USA: Abraham Lincoln did not go to college

USA: George Washington did not go to college

I think in all countries you will find good leaders that did and did not attend colleges, and you will find bad leaders that did and did not attend college.

George W got into Yale and Harvard as a legacy student-meaning because daddy Bush and grampa Bush went there and gave lots of money to them. Pol Pot went to University on a scholarship where he learned to hate all the rich kids he went to school with. Don't know about the rest.

These guys didn't do Oxford though.

There are colleges and there are COLLEGES. Oxford is in the latter.

Foreign students typically must have very good grades, not connections, to get in a school of this level.

If Bush never had the name and the cash behind him he would NOT have been in EITHER Harvard or Yale.

You can't argue a diminished achievement onto Abhisit , but listing the names above.

Another brain dead post. "W" was not an outstanding student. He was an above average student. Most liberal news media repeat your false claims. If you bother to check his college transcripts, you will discover that he was much above the average for even the Ivy League schools. He also had a great social life while in college.

Oxford is a great school. Does anyone know what area Abhisit's degrees were in?

Good luck to the new Thai government. The Thai people deserve to see a little peace and prosperity.

I saw copies of W's transcripts during the 2000 election,

just average and not Ivy League by any standard.

He was a legacy and nothing more.

Fair and balanced eh? Right and pigs fly too.

Calm down ladies and gentleman.

Over the last few pages that I have read, there are enough flames and name callings to hand out holidays to half the board.

Please discuss the topic in a rational manner & respect other board member's views.

Sorry but if you dont stop people start to insult the other when they dont have the same idea or view its impossibile dont replay.

Pls delete all my post in this tread so i can stay quite and some people can use only for themself.

I finish to replay and post.

tks

bye

ThakkyDiplomaticPassport.jpg

Thaksin diplomatic passport revoked

The Foreign Ministry announced Monday that it has revoked the diplomatic passport of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra since last Friday. It said in the statement that it has considered this matter carefully because it concerns some legislative issues. It said that it has proposed the past three government the revocation of Thaksin's red passport, but was able to do it only after the land deal case against him has been proceeded till the end. On his ordinary passport, the ministry said it has forwarded the case to the

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=135422

capta74709d86b96477885861e28ec2c736.jpg

A pro-Thaksin Shinawatra supporter hurls stones and kicks at Thai legislators as they leave Parliament Monday, Dec. 15, 2008, in Bangkok, Thailand following the formation of a new government. Parliament chose Democrat Abhisit Vejjajiva as the nation's new prime minister following months of political chaos.

Associated Press

captad0500106ade4fb5b9feae625530b24.jpg

Protesters attack a car coming out of parliament with rocks after the voting for the country's prime minister in Bangkok, Thailand Monday, Dec. 15, 2008. Parliament chose opposition party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva as Thailand's prime minister Monday following months of political chaos, as supporters of the former government tried to blockade lawmakers in the building.

Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

Yes, by the people. In the same way as Somchai for sure,

and as a second rounder compared to Samak.

But legitimate none the less.

Samak was elected as an MP BY THE PEOPLE directly, via party list,

not directly as a PM, he was then chosen as PM by EXACTLY the same type of vote as today chose Abhisit.

If at that time the legislature had not voted for Samak as a clear majority,

it would have waited 2 weeks and done a winner take all vote.

BUT before that they HAVE to form a coalition to do it with enough to elect.

Failing that coalition formation, as we just have witnessed,

the NEXT largest party winner can try and form a government,

and pass that through a vote, we just saw THAT happen today.

Constitutionally correct for now and '97 charter too.

One man one vote applies to the MP's who THEN try

and make a colalition and vote in a executive department.

Thaksin's crew failed making or keeping a coalition together,

the baton passed to the Dems. Somchai COULD have called elections,

but didn't, so to late for un-needed general election, the IS a government now..

Calm down ladies and gentleman.

Over the last few pages that I have read, there are enough flames and name callings to hand out holidays to half the board.

Please discuss the topic in a rational manner & respect other board member's views.

Sorry but if you dont stop people start to insult the other when they dont have the same idea or view its impossibile dont replay.

Pls delete all my post in this tread so i can stay quite and some people can use only for themself.

I finish to replay and post.

tks

bye

Oceano the moderators can't really keep up on days like this.

I'm not getting on your case, but your english skills I suspect

make you sound 'more absolutist' that you are...

so you get jumped on. Don't take it too personally.

It's just olife in an english language forum.

We ALL must grow thiker skins.

Must be worse for a Thai who isn't used to

direct in your face confrontation.

Write it off as Fahrangs are ting tong....

If it's any consolation i get the same or worse daily.

The upcoming Thai recession is unstoppable, due to the fall in exports, the reversion of the current account into deficit and the fall of the Trade Balance into negative territory.

Also the level of Government debt to GDP is very high.

Prognosis not good. Doesn't matter whether Abhisit is his own man or just a puppet.

that are terms and definitions, values of a 'capitalist' world. under the Dem's thailand will not play that game anymore.

those people think they have found something better than money. the puppet players in the background just gave out their directions.

"People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) coordinator Suriyasai Katasila on Monday warned newly elected prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva not to be preoccupied with power and advised him to study cases of the Thaksin regime. Referring to the Thaksin Shinawatra regime, Mr Suriyasai claimed that the regime collapsed despite its vast capital and state powers because it lacked righteousness. ...

He suggested that the new cabinet line-up should comprise individuals who are outside the political ring and have high credibility. ...

The PAD coordinator also called on the government to implement self-sufficient economic plans rather than following the capitalist economic system as before. If the government does not dare to reform the society, Thai people would still suffer from poverty and violence, he said."

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...abuses-of-power

if Abhisit want gain confidence he must prove that he has the power and not somebody else. legal action against the PAD leader, blame them, sue them, jail them. i doubt that this will happen. okay, an economy could also run smooth when some old elite, a not so-democratic power rules the country as long they are interested in business and understand the principles. but over the talks about the value of democracy and blaming PAD for being reactionary. one point got not enough attention. PAD are some strange moralists. moralists who think money is the root of evil. they are not only against corruption but also against consumerism and it's a anti-globalisation movement. anti-globalisation is nothing else than nationalistic and xenophobic fanaticism. and there are the Dem's. the current worldwide recession is welcomed by them to blame capitalism or imperialism for it and in a reform process thailand have to be protected from foreign influence, foreign money and investment.

and sooner or later, when the deals at the SET are done, people cashed in, Abhisit will say the bad 'good' word - nationalisation.

Prognosis ↓ ↓ ↓

But weren't enough MP's not favorable to a Dem PM thrown outta making the election considerably easier. Were they replaced? or the election held without a full parliament.

The Sydney Morning Herald has an interesting <snip> of the election of Abhisit as PM.

Hard-hitting article - and IMO well-balanced, considering its length (i.e. before the usual suspects jump in - no, it doesn't try to list every single factor).

But weren't enough MP's not favorable to a Dem PM thrown outta making the election considerably easier. Were they replaced? or the election held without a full parliament.

There are only about 30 seats missing, to be voted on in early January.

There was a healthy quorum available for the vote.

13 PPP seats lost for PTP and the rest for Chart Thai.

Chart Thai is now with the Dems, so likely it could gain.

PTP at BEST can gain 13 seats if ALL win,

and that's not close to the 40 lead the Dems have.

If any Chart Thai seats get returned, they likely will

go with the coalition they are with.

Makes little sense to vote against the side

that WILL butter your bread for the near term.

But then sense... is an alternate universe here some days.

Edited by animatic

December 23, 2007

News Desk

As the nation completed the much awaited task of voting for their future, it became clear from the unofficial results that their favorite has been People's Power Party. With 80 per cent of the vote counted, the People's Power Party won 230 seats. Rival Democrat Party won 161 seats.

Guess Democracy does not matter to much to the Democrats.

December 23, 2007

News Desk

As the nation completed the much awaited task of voting for their future, it became clear from the unofficial results that their favorite has been People's Power Party. With 80 per cent of the vote counted, the People's Power Party won 230 seats. Rival Democrat Party won 161 seats.

Guess Democracy does not matter to much to the Democrats.

I really do think that you are mis-understanding how this system works.