Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

BREAKING NEWS:

Abhisit Vejjajiva elected new Prime Minister of Thailand

abhisit-vejjajiva.jpg

Abhisit Vejjajiva elected new PM

BANGKOK: -- Opposition Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva wins a majority with 235 - 198 votes to become Thailands 27th premier

-- MCOT 2008-12-15 at 10:57

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Democrat Abhisit elected Thailand's Prime Minister

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has been officially voted Thailand's 27th prime minister by a majority of 233-197 votes in Monday's special session of the House of Representatives.

Mr. Abhisit surpassed former national police chief Pracha Promnok, Puea Pandin party leader, who won support from MPs loyal to former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, convicted of corruption charges and now a fugitive at an unknown location.

The new prime minister is expected to be formally named later in the day on Monday.

Hundreds of police were deployed outside Parliament for the session for fear of a street protest as some demonstrators gathered outside the House to protest the vote outcome.

The vote comes in the wake of months of political crisis caused by anti-government protests which saw the country's two main airports seized last month.

Mr. Abhisit, 44, graduated from Oxford University with first-class honour in philosophy, politics and economics, and later earned a master's degree in economics at Oxford.

He first won national election in 1992 as an MP for Bangkok at the age of 28, the only Democrat MP elected in the capital that year.

He served as government spokesman in 1992 and as Minister to the Prime Minister's Office in the government led by the then prime minister Chuan Leekpai in 1997. Mr. Abhisit was elected Democrat party leader in 2005.

However, for some years his party has taken the role as a sole opposition party as it failed to win an outright majority in the House of Representatives.

Mr. Abhisit earlier said building national reconciliation and improving the country's economy would be his first priority were he to be elected prime minister.

"I think it would be good if the government leader would also lead the economic team," Mr. Abhisit said. He expressed optimism that he could improve and restore confidence among investors within two to three months.

-- TNA 2008-12-15

This is a good day for the country, in my opinion. That they finally managed to put a politician in office who is educated and articulate, with a clear passion for developing education in the country, is one of the best things Thailand could hope for. I wish him nothing but success, as he has a huge and difficult job in front of him.

If you hear that banging sound, that was the final nail in Thaksin's coffin. (or was that T's head against the wall, either way...)

Only one of PAD demands can cause an inconvenience to Abhisit - corruption charges against Newin's family (I thought that was cleared with the courts already).

I doubt they will houdn Abhisit with that one, the only other disagreement might be over Preah Vihear, but I trust Abhisit and the new Foreign Minister would work for a solution acceptable to all parties, including PAD.

I just hope he will try to be a PM for all the people of the country and not just his constituency. That is waht Tahiland needs right now. However, it will be a tall order and the red shirts wont make it any easier for him than the yellow dfid for Somchai.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

In worst case we will find out there isn't such a big difference between any of the politicians involved when things come to show.

In best case...the reds and yellows will be disposed of and many, many, improvements will be made in...various arenas. One can dream...

Even if you wished it to go the other way,

it would be in everyones best interest to wish

the New PM, and his government Chok dee krab.

Yes we can expect a likely violent Red Shirt negative reaction.

They don't seem to deal with defeat too well.

And a measured positive response fropm PAD, who will stay cloistered

and go back to talking mode.

The wild card is how Dr. T. takes this,

where will he put his cash and to what end.

He remains the 800lb gorilla in the corner....

what IS his quotient of desperation today?

One way or another

Thailand abides!

Edited by animatic

Here we go.... [from the Nation]

Red-shirted people became angry upon learning the result of PM voting and used metal barriers to block the gates of Parliament at 10:40 am, it was reported.

TNN Channel showed pictures of red-shirted people using metal barriers of police to block the gates.

Police were seen looking on idly.

"Abhisit proposes to fix that by amending the constitution should he assume the PM post. That could mean yet another referendum." Time magazine interview.

His thoughts from when he thought he was going to walk into power on the back of the last military set up.

Hope he has the balls to tell PAD and the generals/elite clique where to go and change the constitution back to the agreed 97(?) model. If he can achieve that and deliver his promised education and other reforms to the Isaan people then he maybe a very good solution for the present mess. I wish him the best of luck.

I wont hold my breath. One thing I have learnt from being here and watching this site.... wait.... things will change very soon. It is rare to find a politician who does gppd for the people over doing good for him/herself. Time will tell if he has the heart of the thai people or the pocketbook as the prime objective

Personally wish him all the best. Probably not a good time to be in office and being PM at this time is going to be very difficult with the wide divisions in society, not a terribly strong or convincing coalition and the general economic climate. A good time to be the opposition party methinks.

Anyone care to speculate as to how the PAD will react? Will this be enough to keep them from causing any more disruptions?

I wouldn't be concerned with PAD reaction, but rather with the Red Team's. I'm afraid they are capable as yellow one, to cause havoc and disruptions.