Buying A Motorbike

photojourn

I'm looking at buying a motorbike and wonder if anyone can tell me what documents I need to transfer the registration into my name and the cost of it all.

I'm an Australian citizen and have a Non.Immig B visa while my WP is being processed.

Anyone know what documents I'll need and the cost of obtaining them and transferring the rego?

Thanks

I'm looking at buying a motorbike and wonder if anyone can tell me what documents I need to transfer the registration into my name and the cost of it all.

I'm an Australian citizen and have a Non.Immig B visa while my WP is being processed.

Anyone know what documents I'll need and the cost of obtaining them and transferring the rego?

Thanks

If you don't have a WP then you'll need a letter from your embassy showing proof of residency, i believe that's 1,500 to 2,000b. if the bike is currently registered and the green book up to date then the actual transfer cost is minimal, 450b. if the bike is not registered but all invoices and import documents (assuming it's an import big-bike) are in order then you're looking at anywhere from 55,000b to 80,000b to have it registered depending on who you use and how good his connections are at the thai DMV :o

As someone new to the process dont even attempt a new registration yourself (a bike without plate).. Stick to the easy stuff for the first few.. even then theres a whole long list of stuff that can go wrong.

Depending on where you are you can often get the registration of address letter from immigration also for 200 - 500 baht depending on province.

Since the OP mentions transferring the regio, I'm guessing he's talking about a bike already registered (2nd hand).

In that case the above is correct on the buyers side, i.e. copy passport and letter confirming address (which can be had at immigration for a few hundred Baht, bring along a rental contract or a utility bill in your name to prove your address of residency, or at your embassy).

On the seller's side you'll need the green book, signed at the proper place (bottom/middle of the page which has the current owners address), signed copy of his ID card, signed copy of his house book, and in case the seller can't be present a signed power of attorney allowing you to complete the transfer.

If the seller is a foreigner, he also will have to supply you with the form stating his address (immigration or embassy).

If your WP comes through then that can be used in lieu of the proof of residence paper (in both the buyer's and seller's case if he happens to have a WP).

Since the OP mentions transferring the regio, I'm guessing he's talking about a bike already registered (2nd hand).

In that case the above is correct on the buyers side, i.e. copy passport and letter confirming address (which can be had at immigration for a few hundred Baht, bring along a rental contract or a utility bill in your name to prove your address of residency, or at your embassy).

On the seller's side you'll need the green book, signed at the proper place (bottom/middle of the page which has the current owners address), signed copy of his ID card, signed copy of his house book, and in case the seller can't be present a signed power of attorney allowing you to complete the transfer.

If the seller is a foreigner, he also will have to supply you with the form stating his address (immigration or embassy).

If your WP comes through then that can be used in lieu of the proof of residence paper (in both the buyer's and seller's case if he happens to have a WP).

Thanks for the information. The big is not a big bike and is already registered in the name of a foreigner. He has the greenbook and he said he bought it through a dealership last year.

He's selling because he is leaving the country so want to make sure there are no problems with the transfer.

I'm staying in a friends house while he is out of the country so don't have any utility bills, rental agreements, etc., apart from one from the house I was previously renting in Chiang Mai. That rental agreement is still valid though. Is that of any use?

He's selling because he is leaving the country so want to make sure there are no problems with the transfer.

I'm staying in a friends house while he is out of the country so don't have any utility bills, rental agreements, etc., apart from one from the house I was previously renting in Chiang Mai. That rental agreement is still valid though. Is that of any use?

Will an old lease work will depend on your local immigration office.. Also where you are now, I doubt a CM lease is going to help you get a phuket immigration confirm of res letter !! Also some dealers can 'provide' and address for you, they have a contact at the offices and do it as a complete service..

Also be aware when buying a bike from a farang.. At my local DMV you need to have CURRENT copies of thier entry card and permission to stay stamp, so if the person leaves the country and the entry card expires, they will not transfer the bike over.. Meaning you cant sell a bike when the seller is not in Thailand at the time (crazy rule !!).. A mate had a bike where the seller had left and even though everything else was signed and legit, they refused as the entry card had expired, resulting in him having a bike, trapped in someone else's name, and no chance of a legal transfer. Tho a contact and a 1000 baht got it all solved after a few months of hassle.

Will an old lease work will depend on your local immigration office.. Also where you are now, I doubt a CM lease is going to help you get a phuket immigration confirm of res letter !! Also some dealers can 'provide' and address for you, they have a contact at the offices and do it as a complete service..

Also be aware when buying a bike from a farang.. At my local DMV you need to have CURRENT copies of thier entry card and permission to stay stamp, so if the person leaves the country and the entry card expires, they will not transfer the bike over.. Meaning you cant sell a bike when the seller is not in Thailand at the time (crazy rule !!).. A mate had a bike where the seller had left and even though everything else was signed and legit, they refused as the entry card had expired, resulting in him having a bike, trapped in someone else's name, and no chance of a legal transfer. Tho a contact and a 1000 baht got it all solved after a few months of hassle.

Thanks for that. Interesting information.

Also any advice on Insurance? Who to use, what type of insurance, cost, etc?

Thanks

I'm in the middle of the same process, and was told yesterday that my WP (stating my adress) isn't enough.

I have no rental contract of the house (the contract's on my girlfriend's name), so no water or electricity bills as well.

What they are telling me now is that my employer should garantuee me and let me put my residence there.

But maybe that won't be enough either, as they tell me a different story every single time.... it's really causing a headache at the moment.

I'm in the middle of the same process, and was told yesterday that my WP (stating my adress) isn't enough.

I have no rental contract of the house (the contract's on my girlfriend's name), so no water or electricity bills as well.

What they are telling me now is that my employer should garantuee me and let me put my residence there.

But maybe that won't be enough either, as they tell me a different story every single time.... it's really causing a headache at the moment.

Would be useful information if you post how you get on.