Cost Of Honda Crv/toyota Rav4

thaiaan

I have a Honda Pilot which I am planning on selling this coming year and can probably get $25-30,000 for it.I would like a new small all wheel drive SUV in Thailand like a CRV or RAV4 and was wondering if the price for one would be covered by what I sell my Pilot for.

Do people buy cars in Malaysia,Singapore,etc.,and drive them into Thailand?Don't want to delve into my investment egg which I would want to use solely for business and living expenses.

Importing cars

Expensive to Import!!!

CRV top of the range is about 1.2M Baht, same as the Ford Escape etc.

Toyota have a now SUV due out in the new ywear called the "Fortuner" looks a bit like the Lexus Harrier!! top price is 1,219,000 Baht!! Looks very nice.

Depends what you want it for, but I wouldn't buy a normal car again the roads here kill the suspension!!!

Importing cars

Expensive to Import!!!

CRV top of the range is about 1.2M Baht, same as the Ford Escape etc.

Toyota have a now SUV due out in the new ywear called the "Fortuner" looks a bit like the Lexus Harrier!! top price is 1,219,000 Baht!! Looks very nice.

Depends what you want it for, but I wouldn't buy a normal car again the roads here kill the suspension!!!

Wow!1.2 M for a CRV there would be over $30,000 when I can get one for $20,000 new here in the states.Would think as Japan is closer to Thailand it might be cheaper.The Lexus RX is very popular here but never heard of the Harrier.

Maybe I should get a hybrid?Honda is coming out this month with their hybrid Accord and hybrid SUV's are coming out soon.How is the price of gas there?Hope being next to Malaysia,Indonesia,etc.,it would be inexpensive.

Edited by thaiaan

I have a Honda Pilot which I am planning on selling this coming year and can probably get $25-30,000 for it.I would like a new small all wheel drive SUV in Thailand like a CRV or RAV4 and was wondering if the price for one would be covered by what I sell my Pilot for.

Do people buy cars in Malaysia,Singapore,etc.,and drive them into Thailand?Don't want to delve into my investment egg which I would want to use solely for business and living expenses.

Imported cars have very high taxes. Financially better to stick with something made here (as opposed to imported or assemlbed from a kit) such as the CRV. Anythign made by Toyota, Honda or Issuzu has rock solid residual value. The upside is that the residual value for any of the above is generally higher than most other markets if you sell in say 5 yrs. CRV will be worth around 60% of what you paid versus say, 40% in Europe or USA.

One note to be aware of the RAV4 is not officially imported - you need to buy from a grey importer such as SEC. They are very expensive at around 2,500,000 baht and thats before any increase that comes into effect from the end of the year when the taxes go up.

...would like a new small all wheel drive SUV in Thailand like a CRV or RAV4 and was wondering if the price for one would be covered by...

I own a CRV that I bought new. The price included nearly all options and incl'd first year insurance and registration. Price was 1.2m Baht two years ago. CRVs are made in Thailand so CRV taxes are relatively low compared to other cars such as Harrier or Lexus. Servicing is very cheap (vs US prices) at the Honda dealer.

I would not buy another CRV primarily because the 2000 cc engine can't handle acceleration when the a/c is on (most of the time). I would opt for a Ford Everest next time around which several of my friends own and think highly of. I have seen several Lexus SUV-type vehicles around Bangkok but suspect they are 3-4M baht.

Make sure you really really need a car in Thailand before you buy one. :o