Sending Gifts To Thailand

Wolfie

I have a friend who wants to send me a gift for Xmas, and i'm concerned about it being stopped by customs and me having to pay silly import duty.

Can anyone post a link or give me some advice as to what the import duty rates are (the gift is software, stuff i cant get inside Thailand roughly 100usd in value)

Also with Thailands infamous postal service, what would be the best method of delivery? UPS or similar or good old fashioned "Registered post" (aka Signature needed on delivery)

Thanks in advance

Wolfie, my own experience is that stuff that through DHL, et all, is much more likely to get caught up in customs fees.... 90% of the stuff going through the PO come straight to my house without any charges....

From what I've heard and read, a lot depends on where you live as to whether your mail has problems. I get many packages each year, mostly DVD's, and I've never had any problems with my local PO, bar one missing package a couple of years ago.

DVD's and CD's, when I've had to pay, were charged at a rate of 30% at Customs

I might suggest EMS as one way to go...

We've just been stung by the Customs duty on a DHL shipment from the UK. The duty was 20% of the value of the shipment and then there was an additional 7% VAT on the value after duty. So, the total tax was around 28%... First time we've had to pay to get our Christmas presents!

We've also had boxes go missing when coming via the Post Office. I tell people to send anything that looks valuable to my office address - never had a box lost to that address. Now, I'm also going to tell them to undervalue the shipment if they're sending it by DHL to reduce the duty we get stung for... :o

We've just been stung by the Customs duty on a DHL shipment from the UK. The duty was 20% of the value of the shipment and then there was an additional 7% VAT on the  value after duty. So, the total tax was around 28%... First time we've had to pay to get our Christmas presents!

We've also had boxes go missing when coming via the Post Office. I tell people to send anything that looks valuable to my office address - never had a box lost to that address. Now, I'm also going to tell them to undervalue the shipment if they're sending it by DHL to reduce the duty we get stung for...  :o

Unless there is an invoice attached, my experience is that customs makes their own value, independent of what the sender writes. I'm sure they're aware of the various tricks... I use to get some home-recorded videos sent to me, and the customs charge was always more than the value of the $2 tapes...

TiT :D

My opinion, based on experience, is that your chances of escaping duty via the mail service is the best bet. I think FEDEX et. al are cooperative with customs for their own ends.

Keep in mind that value is a difficult thing to assess, especially if the item is not in its original package and the declarant on the duty form is not way off on the value.

Wholesale vs. retail value? I have paid 30% duty on packages of jigsaw puzzles from vendors in the U.K. and the next time nothing on the same merchandise.

There is no duty on items with a value of 2k baht or less. Since most packages are weighed to determine postage, explore breaking up the packages to reduce the "value" to under the limit or close enough to that value so customs won't argue with your valuation. Gift is a good description and unless it is a name branded Japanese Nikon or the like, you have a much better chance.

Good luck.

Can anyone post a link or give me some advice as to what the import duty rates are (the gift is software, stuff i cant get inside Thailand roughly 100usd in value)

My suggestion would be to use the regular postal mail, complete a customs form with some vague wording about the contents and send it on.

I've sent several packages to Thailand in this manner (clothes and other small items, though never software), and have never had any problem with standard postal delivery.

Here is another thought. For whomever is sending you the item, have them make backup copies of the CD (for protection, not for pirating) and any documentation. That way you have a fall-back position if the item is lost in transit.

HTH ...

Get you friend to take the software out of its packaging. Load it in her/his computer, then repackage it to you. It is now second hand and the price or value for duty should reflect this.

When I get books sent to me from a friend, I tell them to have a quick flick through first etc and then make them knock off half the value..

Edited by chuchok

Now here's a topic I'm proficient at!

Please take my advice ONLY for gift-giving purposes (not that any of you would do anything illegal...) :D

Firstly, shipping by express is more likely to incur Tariff fees. More tariff if by DHL than by FedEx, and slightly less by UPS, but generally, they are the same.

:o When sending/receiving a gift in Thailand:

1.) Make sure that all items are gift-wrapped. Whether or not it's going to or coming from a residental or business address does not make a difference.

2.) If you put the words "no commercial value" after the accurate product/gift declaration, you should not be charged. Make sure that the word "gift" is checked in the customs form. If you're sending DVDs, you can put "Digital Video Discs - No commercial value", then check "GIFT".

3.) In Thailand, we charge an "undetermined amount" (this means it can be anything from 3.5% to 200%) of tariff if the cost of each gift is over 1000 baht (or $25). This means you can have 3 gifts declared at 900 baht each and you would not be charged tariff.

:D Sending gifts to other countries

Basically, keeping the declared values down does not guarantee that your gift-receivers will not pay tariff. Canadian customs are the most strict and will charge tariff for even low-cost gifts. Their charges are entirely determined by the content of the package and an accurate customs declaration is always required. Marking an item as "Sample - no commercial value" may be more effective than marking it as "Gift" for shipping to Canada and European countries.

:D Gifts should not be charged at all. It's just sad that to prevent certain people from "importing" an item as a gift and then selling it later, we all must suffer.

I should also add that certain books and printed materials (HS code 4901109) do not incur tariff. If anyone is receiving books, it's safe to use the right harmonized code. Otherwise, Thai customs will determine tariff for the package (if not gift-wrapped) by the topic of the book and its declared price. :o

K.W has been sending small packages to Bangers,Sam.Prat,Trat and C.M almost weekly for about the last 6 months and never had any problems.

Things like Vitamin tabs,cosmetics and the very latest mobile phones which you can get here easily seem to be much sot after by her mates,friends etc.and even her dad and she makes at least 25% profit on everything even after I have posted them.

Ok might not a lot but she is now talking to a company re bulk orders. (vitamins)

They sell off the shelves in Boots here but not over there and bit nig noi Peng ..but if its new and seems to work then the Thais will pay almost any price...MPR :o

I just send by normal post at about £5-£6 stamps,+ customs declaration and addressed /handwritten in Thai.......maybe thats wot does it. :D