Where Can I Get A Swimming Pool Heater?

Ajarn

Well, the cold season has arrived, and, because the sun is so low, none of the warming sunlight hits my pool, so no swimming is possible because the water is too cold. The pool is my only form of excercise because I can't walk well enough for other excercises. I would love to find some form of gas heater for my pool, but as yet, nothing from any searches...

Any thoughts from anybody?

I was going to make a lame joke revolving around just farting under water but chances are you'd just get grumpy at me so I thought better of it. :o

I think you know the answer though, with swimming pool equipment being relatively rare in Thailand, and most swimming pools being in the tourist areas down south (who wouldn't typically need heaters) I think you're looking at importing something.

One more thought: (sorry if this is lame again, just thinking out loud), what you CAN get is those solar water heaters that go on the roofs of fancy houses. Pump the pool water through a couple of those and it'll heat up for far less energy than a pool heater would consume. Of course that does mean that the water is still pretty cold in the morning, but afternoons should see a good improvement?

Edit: Ah look at that, it even exists ready-made: http://www.h2ofun.co.uk/swimming_pool_solar_heating.asp But if you feel adventurous you could try to rig that from regular solar water heaters.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I built a solar heating device myself for my pool at my home that I owned in Los Angeles using parts readily available at Home Depot. I put it on the roof of the cabana and like WTK said, the water was still pretty cold in the mornings but it did a nice job of heating the water by the afternoon.

Is the needed heating option in addition to the solar water heater you had built a few years ago? I had seen your pix and it looked great; not sure on what website now. Good luck there Ajarn.

Take a look through the housing/DIY forum, I think, there is a thread probably started by Naam about setting up his aircon to heat the pool. He does have a larger than average set up. Personally I would look at using a pumped direct solar water heater system * and then use a foam/expanded latex rubber sheet to insulate the pool overnight. * Home built with a frame of the cheap plastic water pipes - won't last forever but will give you an idea of if it is practical in your situation.

HTH.

Yeah Ajarn, My pool is cold too and it gets full sun exposure. In fact, no one goes in the pool until feb, but the maintenance contnues.

As far as a gas heater......it could be done, but to heat the volume of water in your pool, it would take a lot of heaters [and gas]....then most of the heat would be lost thru the non insulated sides and floor. some could be preserved with an insulated floating cover as mentioned above.

A couple of ideas off the top of my head.....

Cut the trees blocking the solar heater absorber to increase effeciency. or relocate the absorbers to get full exposure??

or the easiest [cheapest] would be use a wet suit?? would have to be custom made to fit your large frame.

Good luck and keep up the excercise.....

JDG

Ajarn,

I just did a quick google and many wetsuits in many sizes available from $56 and up. Sounds like a lot cheaper than the cost of gas to set up and maintain.

If you are still wanting to go for gas heaters, I would recomend that you insulate the walls and floor of your pool to retain heat. Could [maybe] be done with that new insulating block for building, as it has a high 'r' factor. I think it is called Q block and made by cepac. then you would have to re-tile, re- plumb etc.....

JDG

• 1 month later...
Well, the cold season has arrived, and, because the sun is so low, none of the warming sunlight hits my pool, so no swimming is possible because the water is too cold. The pool is my only form of excercise because I can't walk well enough for other excercises. I would love to find some form of gas heater for my pool, but as yet, nothing from any searches...

Any thoughts from anybody?

Ajarn, did you find a pool heater? I was just doing a search on the same subject and found this thread, I would be interested in the solution for my pool.

Yesterday I swam at the 700 year old studium. My wife sat up in the stands and watched me jump in. Showing her I am a tough guy I did not flintch and acted like all was well. It was chilly but in less then a minute it was rather nice. I don't think it will get much cooler then this but a heater would be nice and understand why you would like one.

Can I come over? :o

Try this website....I know you probably don't want to pay shipping/duties but at least it will give you an idea or two. I have ordered from this company and they are very good. I am putting in a very large jacuzzi and am comsidering an electric heater even though I am located in Pattaya (I have been in SE Asia for almost 12 years and my blood has thinned out).

Anyway...hope this helps a little.

Try this website....I know you probably don't want to pay shipping/duties but at least it will give you an idea or two. I have ordered from this company and they are very good. I am putting in a very large jacuzzi and am comsidering an electric heater even though I am located in Pattaya (I have been in SE Asia for almost 12 years and my blood has thinned out).

Anyway...hope this helps a little.

that might work for a Jacuzzi but it is next to impossible to heat an averaged size pool with electric resistance heating because your main feed is too weak. that applies especially during an (unheard of) cool season which even Pattaya experiences. my pool heating is done by a 36,000 btu airconditioner from which i get approximately 11kW of energy at an input of total ~4kW. but even that is presently not enough to raise the water temperature to our desired comfort level of 28ºC. and as the present unit cools down our whole house more than enough adding a second unit doesn't make sense.

therefore i am considering to import solar roof units (mats) which are not available in Thailand and go through the rigmarole with customs :o but in this case i am facing the problem what contractor will fit the mats on a roof with concrete tiles :D that was no problem with my former home in Florida where the fasteners were fixed by drilling through shingles and plywood. i missed the chance to implement my original idea placing a condenser unit in the attic, using the hot air and cooling down the attic, thus killing two birds with one stone with a minimum input of energy. implementing the idea now is hampered as i have only a small access to the attic, i.e. the consider units would have to be built in modules which are then joined in the attic.

note: the conventional units available in the market for hot water supply cannot be used with rather corrosive pool water!

I enquired about the same thing at Desjoux Pools on Mandihol Road .

They built my pool.

They said they could fit a heater, cost approx 60,000 Baht.

Then there is the cost of using the thing to bear in mind, but since your pool is your only source of excercise you may think it a worthwhile investment in your health.

If you need a number pm me, my wife has it somewhere

TP

I enquired about the same thing at Desjoux Pools on Mandihol Road . They built my pool.

Then there is the cost of using the thing to bear in mind, but since your pool is your only source of excercise you may think it a worthwhile investment in your health. If you need a number pm me, my wife has it somewhere

what kind of heater? what capacity? what power input? :o

I enquired about the same thing at Desjoux Pools on Mandihol Road . They built my pool.

Then there is the cost of using the thing to bear in mind, but since your pool is your only source of excercise you may think it a worthwhile investment in your health. If you need a number pm me, my wife has it somewhere

what kind of heater? what capacity? what power input? :o

I did not pursue it further once I got the price Naam :D

What with the exchange rate as it is for us Brits right now :D

Luckily I have a steam room , so I can build up a good sweat before I dive into a cold pool :D

• 2 weeks later...