Thai Social Welfare & Insurance Scheme

brianbrain

Can anyone provide a list of benefits, policy limits, etc. for the Thai social security scheme? ประกันสังคน My employer pays my monthly fee (about 1,500 baht I’m told) but I have no paperwork or information about the policy. I have got absolutely nowhere by asking a Thai colleague / supervisor for help on this matter. I’ve come to a dead end and I’d prefer not to press her any more. So, can you help?

What medical cover is available under the scheme and which hospitals can I visit? Are other benefits available? I heard a rumour about pension entitlement – is that serious?! Is any of this information available in English? Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, I intend to leave this scheme and open a Blue Cross medical insurance policy (Platinum 5,000,000 but no OPD cover). OPD cover seems overpriced with 25,000 baht of cover costing an additional 13,302 baht premium (age group 31-35). I can afford to pay a doctor for routine matters; I just want full cover for emergencies.

You can get a summary of the Bupa policy here: http://www.bupathailand.com/Platinum.asp#

One last thing – are these Bupa prices fixed or negotiable? Will I need to declare any previous health issues or are premiums fixed and based on age alone?

Many thanks and good health to all :-)

Also, I could not find any information on AIA personal health insurance. I was very much unimpressed by their web site, lack of information, and this quote in particular...

http://www.aia.co.th/mn12_eng_summary.html

Warning :

This English translation is provided for courtesy only. Should there be any

discrepancy between English version and Thai version, you are required

to refer to the Thai version as governing language.

The BUPA web site is far more informative.

Edited by brianbrain

try the royal sun alliance (thailand) global health ultracare expat policy

contact

nick helms....02-207-1023

[email protected]

or tony walin 092138320

you get a good health insurance package and can tailor it to your own needs to a certain extent by picking or deleting certain benefits from a menu.

have to declare previous health probs (2 years) but i dont see how they can check these things in thailand unless the insurance companies have access to a central health record database from all the doctors and hospitals. does such a thing exist here ??

Edited by taxexile

try the royal sun alliance (thailand) global health ultracare expat policy

contact

nick helms....02-207-1023

[email protected]

or tony walin 092138320

you get a good health insurance package and can tailor it to your own needs to a certain extent by picking or deleting certain benefits from a menu.

have to declare previous health probs (2 years) but i dont see how they can check these things in thailand unless the insurance companies have access to a central health record database from all the doctors and hospitals. does such a thing exist here ??

That's very useful. Still looking for info on the Thai social welfare scheme. If I can't get any details I'll assume it is a dead end...

I seem to recall there was a thread discussing the Social Welfare Fund in the Teachers Forum. I think the thread was something about tax, but went off topic. Have a look around and see if you can find a thread called 'tax -should I be paying it?'. This may not be the correct name, but it's pretty close.

If you're unsuccessful send a 'pm' to AJARN or SUMITR MAN. They know a lot about this subject. I hope this is of some help. Sorry I can't search myself, I have a class in 5 minutes.

I am quite familar with the social program as I have been on it for a few yers now. Basically, you can choose a hospital from a list of government or private hospitals. All out and in patient care including any operation, hospital stay is covered 100% including all medicine. You just show them your card. There is also an unemployment benefit and if you are out of work sick for a period of time the fund will pay.

It's not first class care but more like second class care as it's a government program where all workers must be enrolled in the program. But, if you choose a decent hospital it's not bad. If you have any more questions I can tell you any details about it.

I am quite familar with the social program as I have been on it for a few yers now. Basically, you can choose a hospital from a list of government or private hospitals. All out and in patient care including any operation, hospital stay is covered 100% including all medicine. You just show them your card. There is also an unemployment benefit and if you are out of work sick for a period of time the fund will pay.

It's not first class care but more like second class care as it's a government program where all workers must be enrolled in the program. But, if you choose a decent hospital it's not bad. If you have any more questions I can tell you any details about it.

Thanks Jowels and Steveb. Strange my employer can't give me that list of hospitals or benefits available. Well I'm off travelling for the weekend now, but on Monday I'll follow up your ideas and quiz my employer again.

The fund only will support you, not your spouse. Your employer should have a list of the hospitals on the program and if he doesn't I can get you a number to call. I recommend a private hospital as the service is much better. They do not cover dental but you can get 400 baht back from the fund for your dental. I am not as lucky as you and have about 700 baht taken out of my check every month. I think it's 5% of your salary. If you need any help or have more questions I think I can tell you as I know the program quite well.

The fund only will support you, not your spouse. Your employer should have a list of the hospitals on the program and if he doesn't I can get you a number to call. I recommend a private hospital as the service is much better. They do not cover dental but you can get 400 baht back from the fund for your dental. I am not as lucky as you and have about 700 baht taken out of my check every month. I think it's 5% of your salary. If you need any help or have more questions I think I can tell you as I know the program quite well.

Steve,

My employer should do many things but, well you can guess the rest... Anyway, the good news is I now have this web site address which answers most if not all of my questions:

http://www.sso.go.th/eng/services_en/social_en.html

(I've copied and pasted a list of the topics below.)

Main Menu >>>

1. What is the Social Security ?

2. What is the Act that the Social Security Scheme has to follow ?

3. Who is the insured person ?

4. Time of Registration ?

5. Who can submit the Registration Form ?

6. Documents for registration ?

7. How to register with the Social Security Fund ?

8. What is the contribution ?

9. How do you pay the contribution ?

10. What will you do when you can't pay contribution in time or underpayment ?

11. What will the insured person receive from SSO after registration ?

12. What benefits does the registered employee claim ?

13. Details of benefits ?

14. When will you recevice the benefits ?

15. What will you receive in case of sickness ?

16. Documents shown for receiving medical treatment

17. Can the insured persons seek medical care outside registered hospital ?

18. If the insured persons seek medical care outside registered hospitals, how can they receive medical services fee ?

19. How much does an insured person receive from maternity benefit ?

20. How much does an insured person receive from invalidity benefit ?

21. How much does an insured person receive from death benefit ?

22. How much does an insured person receive from child allowance ?

23. How much does an insured person receive from old-age benefits ?

24. Contact Address

I recommend a private hospital as the service is much better.

I agree. Unfortunately I cannot persuade my employer to change from the government social security scheme to a private scheme, even if I pay the excess. Apparently, they as a goverment organisation must enter all employees into the social security scheme whether they want it or not. Well, that's what they said. Hmm.. so what about all those teachers working for Thai goverment schools with no insurance?....... :o

Hopefully my last post on this matter. For those of you who can read Thai I should have typedสังคม which in Thai means social / society. For those of you who are learning to read Thai, don't read my posts.

Can anyone provide a list of benefits, policy limits, etc. for the Thai social security scheme? ประกันสังคน My employer pays my monthly fee (about 1,500 baht I’m told) but I have no paperwork or information about the policy. I have got .........

If you (or anyone reading this post) can locate a list of registered hospitals please let me know. I am trying to find out which private hospitals are registered. Currently spending a fortune monthly helping out a Thai neighbor who has the coverage but requires a drug not available in government hospitals for a chronic illness. Thanks!!

Steve,

My employer should do many things but, well you can guess the rest... Anyway, the good news is I now have this web site address which answers most if not all of my questions:

http://www.sso.go.th/eng/services_en/social_en.html

(I've copied and pasted a list of the topics below.)

Main Menu >>>

1. What is the Social Security ?

2. What is the Act that the Social Security Scheme has to follow ?

3. Who is the insured person ?

4. Time of Registration ?

5. Who can submit the Registration Form ?

6. Documents for registration ?

7. How to register with the Social Security Fund ?

8. What is the contribution ?

9. How do you pay the contribution ?

10. What will you do when you can't pay contribution in time or underpayment ?

11. What will the insured person receive from SSO after registration ?

12. What benefits does the registered employee claim ?

13. Details of benefits ?

14. When will you recevice the benefits ?

15. What will you receive in case of sickness ?

16. Documents shown for receiving medical treatment

17. Can the insured persons seek medical care outside registered hospital ?

18. If the insured persons seek medical care outside registered hospitals, how can they receive medical services fee ?

19. How much does an insured person receive from maternity benefit ?

20. How much does an insured person receive from invalidity benefit ?

21. How much does an insured person receive from death benefit ?

22. How much does an insured person receive from child allowance ?

23. How much does an insured person receive from old-age benefits ?

24. Contact Address

• 4 weeks later...
I seem to recall there was a thread discussing the Social Welfare Fund in the Teachers Forum. I think the thread was something about tax, but went off topic. Have a look around and see if you can find a thread called 'tax -should I be paying it?'. This may not be the correct name, but it's pretty close.

If you're unsuccessful send a 'pm' to AJARN or SUMITR MAN. They know a lot about this subject. I hope this is of some help. Sorry I can't search myself, I have a class in 5 minutes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but despite my apparent halo ( :o:D private joke from another thread) ) I must say that I used to know more than I know now. I've been out of the loop too long to advise on such things... sumitr man is very clued in to everything, it seems. One of the best resources here in these forums- for me, too :D