Bangkok visa extentions / Be aware!

Guest IT Manager
Hi all - question for you: I have a friend who has been in Thailand since July - he used a visa agent in August, on the advice of some co-workers, and was without his passport until yesterday(approx. 2 months).  The agent kept putting him off and telling him he'd get it back "next week".  At some point immigration got a hold of it and it was handed over to the American embassy, where he went and picked it up yesterday.  

The problem is this - his last stamp is from September and is not in the immigration computer.  He is thinking of going through this same visa agent again.  Does he have any other options?  Can he just pay the overstay fee or will he be arrested/deported for having this stamp in his passport?

Any help would be appreciated.

Pet, a word of advice,

Visits to IDC in Bangkok are not pretty. You will get tired of waiting to see him.

Next tme you see him, hit him really hard with a piece of wood, tell him someone told you he was a dummie, and never speak to him again.

Alternatively, suggest he wash his jeans and Oh MY Buddha I left my passport in my jeans.

Next time he crosses the border tell him to pack either 200,000 baht or toiletries for about 84 days. Also have a ticket out of Thailand.

IMHO if he was to go to Don Muang with 20,000 baht and a ticket out, it would be better. Go back where he came from, lose the passport, and hope they do track by pp number not name.

Good luck

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like an amnesty has effectively been declared. This from the Phuket Gazette: http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=3121

Friday, November 7, 2003

Report fake border stamps, expats told

BANGKOK: Some expat residents will be required to present a police document at Immigration border checkpoints in the continuing crackdown on illegally obtained entry-exit stamps in passports.

Foreigners with passports containing fake stamps who do not report to police before leaving Thailand and are caught at the border may be arrested for conspiracy to commit fraud.

The Immigration Bureau in Bangkok has instructed all Immigration offices and border checkpoints not to prosecute foreigners with fake entry-exit stamps – provided that they first file a police report identifying themselves as victims of fraud and check in at their local Immigration office before leaving the country.

Pol Col Montri Kosiyasathit, Deputy Commander of Immigration Police Bureau 1, Visa Extension Division, is also warning foreigners not to turn their passports over to tour operators or other companies offering travel-free entry and exit stamps or visa extensions.

All such services, he said, are illegal.

Col Montri told the Gazette that these services had developed over time from legal companies providing group transportation for foreigners doing “visa runs”.

Unscrupulous operators, together with corrupt Immigration officials, conspired to provide the necessary stamps without the passport holder actually leaving the country or being present at the time of issue, he added.

Some con men had also produced their own fake rubber stamps.

“I’m worried that some foreigners actually believed these services to be legal,” he said. “Newcomers to the country see these services advertised in newspapers, so they assume they are legitimate,” he said.

“I sent the letter to Immigration offices throughout Thailand so that fraud victims [holding fake stamps] will not be prosecuted, but they must first confirm that they were cheated by one of these companies.

“I suggest they first report themselves as victims of fraud with the local police. After that, and before leaving the country, they should bring their passport to an Immigration office where the [fake] stamp will be checked,” he said.

He said that Immigration was now aware that some foreigners who stayed in the country after their permit to stay had expired had been using illegal visa services as a way to remain in the country.

“After we investigated in depth, we found some long-term foreign residents [who] knew that that these services were illegal, yet continued to use them. In cases like this, they need to be charged with conspiracy to forge government documents [along with the party that provided the visa],” he said.

Col Montri admitted that corrupt Immigration officials had been involved. He told the Gazette, “We fired the Immigration officers involved and charged them with criminal offenses in accordance with the law.

“We also use closed-circuit cameras surveillance systems at Immigration offices to help us detect wrongdoings.”

Asked why Immigration police did not close down tour operators and other companies that advertise travel-free visa services, he replied that Immigration did not have authority to do so. He said they were only authorized to investigate the companies to ensure they were properly licensed.

He also said the the number of fake stamps discovered so far was relatively small.

Pol Col Paween Pongsirin, Superintendent of Phuket Town Police Station told the Gazette that he had not received any documents notifying him of this issue, but said that he intended to cooperate fully with the Phuket Immigration Office.

People with questions about the new instructions should call Phuket Immigration at 076-212108.

It seems after all, the immigration people are going in the right direction.

Of course, statements like, we only now became aware... but ok, save face

and let (most) of the culprits get off. Fine with me.

The Immigration Bureau in Bangkok has instructed all Immigration offices and border checkpoints not to prosecute foreigners with fake entry-exit stamps – provided that they first file a police report identifying themselves as victims of fraud and check in at their local Immigration office before leaving the country.
"victims of fraud"

soon IMMIGRATION will have a larger list of fake visas/entry stamps because many hearing about this will come foward now and more new fake numbers exposed. IMMIGRATION may even have more busts on their hands with this new list as many with dodgys without police reports will still be attempting to flow through.

Foreigners with passports containing fake stamps who do not report to police before leaving Thailand and are caught at the border may be arrested for conspiracy to commit fraud.

"conspiracy to commit fraud"

many farangs are still clueless about whats going on and some have made valid visa runs but still have dodgys a few pages back in their tainted passports. if those farangs have run valid visa runs recently without problems do you think they would suddenly say "lets go the police station" ?

In reply to Tomy's question, I'm a Brit.

I personally used the services of a well known visa agent in Silom Road about a year ago. After reading all the horror stories on this website, I simply went down to the British Embassy, told them the truth, had my passport "impounded", got a new one a week later, went to the immigration department, had my visa transferred, and then........was given the choice of clearing a small overstay there and then (and paying 1,900 baht for an extension), or leaving the country at my leisure and getting a "proper" 60-day visa outside of Thailand for 1,000 baht. Surprise, surprise, I ended up having a nice little holiday in sunny Laos.

Simply put, my experience was very positive and I now have much respect for the fine, helpful and very courteous people down in Soi Suan Phlu.

What I would very much like to know is what is happening now to the Thais from Khao San Road who created this problem and who caused so much suffering to those who got stung. I read in the Bangkok Post that the agency issuing the "stamps" was raided a while back, but since then I've heard nothing.

• 2 weeks later...