Rash Of Violent Assaults In Nong Khai (mut Mee Area)

nk2008

Just a note to let everyone know about a rash of burglaries and assaults directed against foreigners in Nong Khai, specifically in the Mut Mee / Wat Hai Sok area.

As of late 2008 there have been 3 violent purse snatchings along the road outside of Mut Mee (Tanon Gaew Warawut).

More recently, in October/November 2008 there were 2 more burglaries at the same address, one of which ended in a struggle and an assault by the burglar.

In November 2008 there was 1 more burglary at another house in the Mut Mee area. A burglar armed with a gun entered the house of local Foreigner. After a violent struggle, the assailant was disarmed and fled.

The attached photo is a police sketch of the assailant in the latest 3 attacks, who has not yet been apprehended.

Residents are warned to lock their houses after dark, travel in groups and avoid walking around this area at night.

sketch.bmp

Edited by nk2008
  • Like 1

Yes, because there is no way these thugs could figure

out how to attack people who carry wallets instead of

purses...

[rolls eyes]

Right; how many customers from Nong's Bar, Pek's Bar and Noi's and Brendan's Bar are walking around with purses? Purse snatching? Are you trying to wind people up?
Edited by nk2008

NK 2008, me thinks you been drinking too much houch; you're not making much sense.

Boring post anyway.

And it this were such a problem, why aren't more people writing about it, especially the ones on Soi Mut Mee like Julian or Panxo?

I still think you're trying to stir things up. Shame on you!

I am not trying to stir things up, I'm trying to make people

aware that this area is not as safe as it seems.

There have been at least 3 attacks in this area the last year.

Another user just posted saying she walks around this area,

sounds like this information is useful to her, and probably

many others.

Just because you choose to ignore useful information doesn't

mean others won't find it useful.

NK 2008, me thinks you been drinking too much houch; you're not making much sense.

Boring post anyway.

And it this were such a problem, why aren't more people writing about it, especially the ones on Soi Mut Mee like Julian or Panxo?

Boring post anyway.

Rather shame on you for trying to rubbish what could be a useful post to people walking or living in that part of Nong Khai.

It seems it was sent in good faith as a public-spirited action to give folks a heads-up about possible risks to person and property, with no indication of "trying to stir things up". Unless you have specific information to show that these attacks did not occur, I would suggest you return to drinking your favourite "houch" on your favourite couch. :o

I have no intention of going to Nong Khai in the foreseeable future, but am glad to see posts like this, if they help make people a bit more aware of potential dangers in certain areas at certain times. Well done NK2000! :D

I know far a fact that Brendon himself was attacked a couple years back. While there are nice people and even great people throughout Thailand there are horrible people too and Nong Kai has its fair share as does any border town in the world. Anywhere you go in Thailand as a Farang you are a high profile potential victim for criminal elements. Some on the forum choose to ignore that fact and feel totally secure but it is many times their own self delusion that lets a predictable small crime escalate into horror for themselves and there loved one both in Thailand and abroad.

Travelers best beware, do not depend upon the kindness of strangers in a strange land. Thailand is pretty safe most of the time but it can also be a horror show beyond the western imagination.

• Like 1