Rental Regulations In Thailand?

Since we have a 'few' problems with our current apartment, about not getting the deposit back and charged way to much on certain things. I would like to know a few things about renting rights in Thailand.

Does the "Owner" and "Renter" have to be together in one room face to face and agree both on paper ( as the contract ) and by mouth confirmation and then sign the rental contract? I think it should, or it is not valid. Our "Owner" was not present when singing the contract, but did it later? I think this cannot be seen as legal?

Also we have on our contract that they both ask for a witness autograph from both "Owner" and "Renter" , this was not signed at all? :D

I've called the "Owner" several times to ask for a man to man conversation, but he refuses, or always has an excuse ready :o

What are my rights here?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Well, I don't know anything about any "renter rights" here in Thailand.

In both of the apartments that I've lived in since I've been here I never ever saw or met the owner that I can recall. I signed the rental agreement with the building manager and all dealings about the apartment were through this person. I noted on both of my contracts that there was an extra signature spot that we never used.

The first place that I stayed the contract was in Thai, I had a trusted Thai person with me at the time to help me understand the contract. It seemed that there was not anything out of the ordinary in the contract and in that building I was the first person to stay in that room that I rented. Yes it was brand new! The manager was helpful but only "OK" in that her English ability wasn't that great. Overall it was a good experience. I'd have stayed there except that it was a 1 hour commute (approx) each way to work. Not my bag, so to say.

The place where I stay at now, the contract was in English. The location is much closer to work, the rent is more, and the building is older but the top floors were "re-built" approx 2 years before I moved in. The lady that manages the place is great, speaks English well (we can have conversations), and problems are addressed and not ignored. I have no plans to move unless I switch jobs or find a better deal.

So in summary, I guess that "renter rights" here consist of the right to "move on" when you don't feel that you're being taken care of to your satisfaction. I've been lucky to this point, sorry to hear you've been less so...

Your rights should be clearly spelled out in your contract. These can be found in the sections which describe the covenants (promises) of the Lessor and Lessee, although they may not be clearly labeled as such.

It is not necessary (or indeed practical) for the owner and tenant to be physically in the same room to execute the contract, which will have a clearly defined lease term, usually for twelve months.

If you choose to leave early, because you are no longer happy, that's your choice, but strictly speaking the landlord has every right to retain your deposit because it would be you who is in breach of contract for early termination. So the onus would be on you to prove that the Lessor failed in some way to deliver on their promises first. Even if you can prove that, is it worth the legal fees to pursue it?

I guess not, so write it off, and walk away, unless you want to gamble and test to see if the landlord is also not willing to pursue a legal case against you by committing another breach the contract by not paying rent as the poster above suggested.