Love Of Thai Food Discussed Over Lunch At Burger King

wayfarer108

Love of Thai Food Discussed Over Lunch at Burger King

“The way they combine salty, sweet, bitter, spicy and fruity flavors is unlike anything you find in European food,” says expat.

BANGKOK, DEC 5 2007 - The various merits of Thai cuisine were espoused at length by two expatriates yesterday while dining at the Silom branch of British-owned fast-food chain Burger King. “Thai food is my absolute favorite,” said Marcus Bigg, a 32-year old Australian national currently teaching at Shrewsbury International School. “The way they combine salty, sweet, bitter, spicy and fruity flavors is unlike anything you find in European food,” he went on, in between bites of his Western Whopper With Bacon. “It’s also good for you, and low in calories,” he observed, possibly inspired by his own concurrent consumption of 788 calories and 46 grams of fat. His friend and dining companion, Alan Fellner, a 29-year old Canadian working in publishing, couldn’t agree more. “I especially admire the way Thai dishes mix in ingredients that you don’t eat but which add flavor, like lemongrass, or even bits of fermented crab leg. You watch the way Thais eat it, and it’s so slow, so delicate,” he noted while finishing an extra-large carton of onion rings in under 6 minutes. Both Bigg and Fellner agreed also that one of their favorite things about living in Bangkok was the wide availability of cheap Thai food, or what Bigg calls the “30 baht lunch” – 178 baht less than his Super Value Meal.

--Not The Nation

Burger King is British nowadays. The chain was owned by Pillsbury USA till 1989, when the latter sold the burger company to British alcoholic beverage manufacturer/distributor Grand Metropolitan PLC.

Ironically, Grand Metropolitan then bought most Wimpy's - the quintessential Brit burger - outlets in the UK and rebranded them as Burger King :o

Another famous chain everyone assumes is still US-owned is 7-Eleven, now controlled by its majority stakeholder, Japan's Ito-Yokado.

When I read the Not The Nation satire above, I imagined our own UG sitting there :D (said with great affection).

When I read the Not The Nation satire above, I imagined our own UG sitting there :o (said with great affection).

That would not be far off in any regard. I love fine foods. I love ethnic foods, but I do not mind fast food every once in a while either. For all I talk about burgers, I only eat one every blue moon. I have to admit if they were better or more reasonably priced (I'm thinking of those 300 baht ones at Hard Rock and Tony Romas), I might have one more often. :D

Edited by Ulysses G.