Hoy Plakang Town: Mistaken Identity

brahmburgers

Hoy Plakang is a village located 3 Km NW of Chiang Rai town. Within the past week, a farang drove up to the new wat here and complained vociferously about the temple's announcements - which started at 5:30 am. He was angry about the noise at such an early hour. He drove up and drove away, so no one saw him up close.

I've resided here for 10 years (1st farang resident) and people know me as a complainer about loud noise. However, I haven't complained for 12 months. Even so, the recently complaining farang matched my description (thin) - so when the head monk told his flock to chasten the complainer, they thought it was me. Later that same morning, a group of seven dour-faced men showed up at my door. None waied (as they usually do). I don't speak Thai very well, and they didn't speak English, but after a few minutes the message was conveyed to me. The strange part is, I didn't understand (until later) that the disturbing complaint happened recently, so I thought they were angry at me about my complaint of one year ago. So I apologized and we all shook hands (some waied) and parted company.

Now that I know the scenario (that it was a recent and very rude complaint by someone else), I'm trying to clear my name with the locals. It's not easy to clear such a perception - it's like trying to correct a bad rumor.

My request here: I WANT FOR THE FARANG WHO COMPLAINED RECENTLY TO CONTACT ME !

He could also go and speak civil manner to the head monk, 'Pra Achan' ...he's approachable, like-able, and speaks English.

It's very important for me - to set this straight. Even if he doesn't contact me, then he should at least know that complaining rudely at a temple premises is serious offense to the people here. It's comparable to offending the monarchy. Not only that, the complainer risks bodily harm. If you don't believe me, ask any Thai person whether that's so. There are those who would 'defend the dharma' (or 'damma', in Thai) and it's akin to defending your family if someone breaks in your house and threatens them. serious stuff.

I visited the head monk and (before I figured out the mistake) I apologized for the disturbance - essentially I apologized (and took the blame) for someone else. Now I'm having to drive around to talk to the 'pu yai ban' and anyone else in my village - in order to try and set things straight. It would help immensely if the actual perpetrator stepped forward to admit what he did. ...not just to take the heat off me, but to get his own sh!t together - about what's entailed with living in a foreign country.

BTW, the morning announcements will happen every 7 to 8 days - and there's nothing any farang can do to change that.

Edited by brahmburgers

Are there that many farangs living within hearing distance of the wat?

I'm surprised someone wouldn't have known him if he was close enough for them to hear him complaining. If it's really p!ssing him off he may come back for another whinge so it may be an idea to lay in wait at the scene of the crime.

I've been meeting with some of my Thai acquaintances in my village, and trying to do damage control.

I found out the farang who rudely complained (I think it was early Sunday morning, the 20th) drives a red pick-up truck. My p.u. is white - when it's not covered in dust.

There are about 15 farang who reside in this sleepy little village - but there's scant little interaction between us - especially now that first one, then another little eat place closed down recently.

I find it hard to believe that the monk would send a group of guys to see you and give you a hard time.

I know Huay Plahgang very well as I`ve had some land up in Soi 9 for quite a few years.

If you are who I think you ae then people in the village are familiar with you also. I also have met the monk on a few occassions and, although fairly young, still find it hard to believe he would take this course of action.

I hope your situation is resolved quickly.

My guess is that the culprit is more likely to be one of the newer residents of the village.

MERRY XMAS,

chang35baht

Hoy Plakang is a village located 3 Km NW of Chiang Rai town. Within the past week, a farang drove up to the new wat here and complained vociferously about the temple's announcements - which started at 5:30 am. He was angry about the noise at such an early hour. He drove up and drove away, so no one saw him up close.

I've resided here for 10 years (1st farang resident) and people know me as a complainer about loud noise. However, I haven't complained for 12 months. Even so, the recently complaining farang matched my description (thin) - so when the head monk told his flock to chasten the complainer, they thought it was me. Later that same morning, a group of seven dour-faced men showed up at my door. None waied (as they usually do). I don't speak Thai very well, and they didn't speak English, but after a few minutes the message was conveyed to me. The strange part is, I didn't understand (until later) that the disturbing complaint happened recently, so I thought they were angry at me about my complaint of one year ago. So I apologized and we all shook hands (some waied) and parted company.

Now that I know the scenario (that it was a recent and very rude complaint by someone else), I'm trying to clear my name with the locals. It's not easy to clear such a perception - it's like trying to correct a bad rumor.

My request here: I WANT FOR THE FARANG WHO COMPLAINED RECENTLY TO CONTACT ME !

He could also go and speak civil manner to the head monk, 'Pra Achan' ...he's approachable, like-able, and speaks English.

It's very important for me - to set this straight. Even if he doesn't contact me, then he should at least know that complaining rudely at a temple premises is serious offense to the people here. It's comparable to offending the monarchy. Not only that, the complainer risks bodily harm. If you don't believe me, ask any Thai person whether that's so. There are those who would 'defend the dharma' (or 'damma', in Thai) and it's akin to defending your family if someone breaks in your house and threatens them. serious stuff.

I visited the head monk and (before I figured out the mistake) I apologized for the disturbance - essentially I apologized (and took the blame) for someone else. Now I'm having to drive around to talk to the 'pu yai ban' and anyone else in my village - in order to try and set things straight. It would help immensely if the actual perpetrator stepped forward to admit what he did. ...not just to take the heat off me, but to get his own sh!t together - about what's entailed with living in a foreign country.

BTW, the morning announcements will happen every 7 to 8 days - and there's nothing any farang can do to change that.

Even though you are trying to be a local, after 10 years you can't speak good Thai??

Tell me, is this the Baan at which, on the south entrance road, the is a large catfish(pladuk) with huge red eyes, located on the sign for the road? Not really a fish, it is a rendering in concrete of a fish to be exact (so I wont get flamed for being an imprecise farang idiot).

Tell me, is this the Baan at which, on the south entrance road, the is a large catfish(pladuk) with huge red eyes, located on the sign for the road? Not really a fish, it is a rendering in concrete of a fish to be exact (so I wont get flamed for being an imprecise farang idiot).

Ron, the fish represents the name of the village.

yes. And to the poster who says, "I find it hard to believe that the monk would send a group of guys to see you and give you a hard time." ...I say; this is a big world, and strange things happen. Actually, I didn't report that he 'sent a group', I merely conveyed that he expressed annoyance, and a group of local men (apparently took it upon themselves) to come to me - as I've been known to complain about loud noise in years gone by.

As for speaking Thai, yes I admit I should be a lot farther along than I am - though am working on improving my handle on Thai. Even so, I wrote and published a little book called, "700 Thai Words Taken From Thai" that the most comprehensive list of 'tap sap' words available.

Hoy Plakang is a village located 3 Km NW of Chiang Rai town.  Within the past week, a farang drove up to the new wat here and complained vociferously about the temple's announcements - which started at 5:30 am.   He was angry about the noise at such an early hour.    He drove up and drove away, so no one saw him up close.I've resided here for 10 years (1st farang resident) and people know me as a complainer about loud noise.  However, I haven't complained for 12 months.   Even so, the recently complaining farang matched my description (thin) - so when the head monk told his flock to chasten the complainer, they thought it was me. Later that same morning, a group of seven dour-faced men showed up at my door. None waied (as they usually do).  I don't speak Thai very well, and they didn't speak English, but after a few minutes the message was conveyed to me.    The strange part is, I didn't understand (until later) that the disturbing complaint happened recently, so I thought they were angry at me about my complaint of one year ago.  So I apologized and we all shook hands (some waied) and parted company.Now that I know the scenario (that it was a recent and very rude complaint by someone else), I'm trying to clear my name with the locals.  It's not easy to clear such a perception - it's like trying to correct a bad rumor.   My request here:   I WANT FOR THE FARANG WHO COMPLAINED RECENTLY TO CONTACT ME !He could also go and speak civil manner to the head monk, 'Pra Achan' ...he's approachable, like-able, and  speaks English.It's very important for me - to set this straight.  Even if he doesn't contact me, then he should at least know that complaining rudely at a temple premises is serious offense to the people here.  It's comparable to offending the monarchy.  Not only that, the complainer risks bodily harm.  If you don't believe me, ask any Thai person whether that's so.   There are those who would 'defend the dharma' (or 'damma', in Thai) and it's akin to defending your family if someone breaks in your house and threatens them.  serious stuff.    I visited the head monk and (before I figured out the mistake) I apologized for the disturbance - essentially I apologized (and took the blame) for someone else.  Now I'm having to drive around to talk to the 'pu yai ban' and anyone else in my village - in order to try and set things straight.   It would help immensely if the actual perpetrator stepped forward to admit what he did.    ...not just to take the heat off me, but to get  his own sh!t together - about what's entailed with living in a foreign country.BTW, the morning announcements will happen every 7 to 8 days - and there's nothing any farang can do to change that.

How do you know the monk conveyed annoyance? You were not there.

As highighted above, you wrote "the monk told his flock to chasten the complainer". Then along came 7 dour-faced men. So the assertion of your text is that the men came to see you at the behest of the monk. You did not say in your post that the men took it upon themselves to come and see you.

In fact, can you even support your claim that the monk instructed his flock to chasten you personally?

That is merely the way that I interpreted your post.

Chang35baht.

Edited by chang35baht

Ron, the fish represents the name of the village.

I thought so, wanted to be sure. Have a friend who lives there. Nice village and new Wat.

Hoy Plakang is a village located 3 Km NW of Chiang Rai town.  Within the past week, a farang drove up to the new wat here and complained vociferously about the temple's announcements - which started at 5:30 am.   He was angry about the noise at such an early hour.    He drove up and drove away, so no one saw him up close.I've resided here for 10 years (1st farang resident) and people know me as a complainer about loud noise.  However, I haven't complained for 12 months.   Even so, the recently complaining farang matched my description (thin) - so when the head monk told his flock to chasten the complainer, they thought it was me. Later that same morning, a group of seven dour-faced men showed up at my door. None waied (as they usually do).  I don't speak Thai very well, and they didn't speak English, but after a few minutes the message was conveyed to me.    The strange part is, I didn't understand (until later) that the disturbing complaint happened recently, so I thought they were angry at me about my complaint of one year ago.  So I apologized and we all shook hands (some waied) and parted company.Now that I know the scenario (that it was a recent and very rude complaint by someone else), I'm trying to clear my name with the locals.  It's not easy to clear such a perception - it's like trying to correct a bad rumor.   My request here:   I WANT FOR THE FARANG WHO COMPLAINED RECENTLY TO CONTACT ME !He could also go and speak civil manner to the head monk, 'Pra Achan' ...he's approachable, like-able, and  speaks English.It's very important for me - to set this straight.  Even if he doesn't contact me, then he should at least know that complaining rudely at a temple premises is serious offense to the people here.  It's comparable to offending the monarchy.  Not only that, the complainer risks bodily harm.  If you don't believe me, ask any Thai person whether that's so.   There are those who would 'defend the dharma' (or 'damma', in Thai) and it's akin to defending your family if someone breaks in your house and threatens them.  serious stuff.    I visited the head monk and (before I figured out the mistake) I apologized for the disturbance - essentially I apologized (and took the blame) for someone else.  Now I'm having to drive around to talk to the 'pu yai ban' and anyone else in my village - in order to try and set things straight.   It would help immensely if the actual perpetrator stepped forward to admit what he did.    ...not just to take the heat off me, but to get  his own sh!t together - about what's entailed with living in a foreign country.BTW, the morning announcements will happen every 7 to 8 days - and there's nothing any farang can do to change that.

As highighted above, you wrote "the monk told his flock to chasten the complainer". Then along came 7 dour-faced men. So the assertion of your text is that the men came to see you at the behest of the monk. You did not say in your post that the men took it upon themselves to come and see you.

In fact, can you even support your claim that the monk instructed his flock to chasten you personally?

That is merely the way that I interpreted your post.

Chang35baht.

chang35baht, you're a classic sort of ThaiVisa poster who can crab about anything if you so choose. If I said I had a blue bike, you might come back and write, "How do you know it's really a blue color? Did you have a professional color analysis done? It could be azure or sky colored, for all we know. Are you trying to pull one over on us?"

Just relax chang35baht. I'm not trying to float a lie here. I'm simply telling a simple story of what happened in my neighborhood a week ago. If I wanted to spin a yarn, I assure you, I could add a lot of intriguing embellishments (note: I have a novel in Asia book stores). You don't have to take my word - that I have a book in a bookstore, but I'm sure if you wanted to dispute that, you'd have no trouble doing so.

Perhaps you could write a letter explaining your situation, then have it translated. The letter could be presented humbly at the temple, and would be handy in your trip around your village to explain yourself as well.

The many helpful and knowledgeable members who frequent the Thai language forum here seem to be keen on lending a hand...and could give insight on the proper wording and "feel" of the letter ....as opposed to a literal translation, which may seem cold...or worse.

Good luck.

Look, Brahms, yes I am classic, maybe even unique. Just like everyone else. You wrote one version in one post, then another in a different post. I`m just after a little clarity here and would,of course, like to see your situation resolved amicably.

Chang35baht.

Non dour faced :o

Perhaps you could write a letter explaining your situation, then have it translated. The letter could be presented humbly at the temple, and would be handy in your trip around your village to explain yourself as well.

The many helpful and knowledgeable members who frequent the Thai language forum here seem to be keen on lending a hand...and could give insight on the proper wording and "feel" of the letter ....as opposed to a literal translation, which may seem cold...or worse.

Good luck.

I like this advice, and I'd thought of it a few days ago, but got sidelined in implementing it. Thanks for the reminder.

BB, first you wrote

so when the head monk told his flock to chasten the complainer, they thought it was me. Later that same morning, a group of seven dour-faced men showed up at my door. None waied (as they usually do). I don't speak Thai very well, and they didn't speak English, but after a few minutes the message was conveyed to me.

Then you wrote

Actually, I didn't report that he 'sent a group', I merely conveyed that he expressed annoyance, and a group of local men (apparently took it upon themselves) to come to me - as I've been known to complain about loud noise in years gone by.

Then when caught in an apparent contradiction you wrote

chang35baht, you're a classic sort of ThaiVisa poster who can crab about anything if you so choose.

1 - Seems to me like chang35baht is spot on.

2 - Aditionally, bb, as I recall several of your posts .. you have lived pretty much full-time in Thailand since '98, "acquired" land, operated a real estate company, sold nuts, given business advice, written a mini Thai dictionary, lived with a Thai woman, and "published" a novel ..

.. yet you can't speak enough Thai to tell a monk, "I'm not the person who caused the problem." Amazing. :D

3 - And this goes to the point of "having a novel in a bookstore".

chang35baht wrote

He makes a very good point .. it's called "person - point of view" and any novelist worth his best seller list knows what that is and how to use it.

Maybe you should apologize to chang35baht .. perhaps even hire him as an editor. :D

4 - And in closing

I'm not trying to float a lie here. I'm simply telling a simple story of what happened in my neighborhood a week ago. If I wanted to spin a yarn, I assure you, I could add a lot of intriguing embellishments

You actually were trying to distribute some manure here in this forum a few months back, if I recall. :o