Work Permit Question

This sounds to me like a stupid question but i am going to ask it anyway just to make sure i stay on the right side of the law.

I now live in Thailand (BKK at present) and work for myself as a writer and business consultant etc. My clients are based in England and i am paid into my UK bank account. So, effectively i am not working in Thailand, just from Thailand via my laptop back to the UK. Do i need a work permit? When i do need to meet with businesses/clients face to face i fly back to the UK.

Thank you

If in doubt, perhaps you could inquire directly with the Labor Office and explain your situation and ask them if you need a work permit. If they say no, then you're good to go (I'd get that no in writing, btw). And if they say yes, then consider it good fortune that you've avoided the possible consequences of working illegally, with those being a fine, jail, deportation, and blacklisting.

Edited by sriracha john

law says if you are working in thiland you must have work permit,

but your work is diffrent,nobody is going to check your laptop,

if you are selling any product or working in some office or shops etc.. then you should have WP.

your work can not be seen or noticed,

so why have WP and pay for renew it every year.???

Yes, you should have a WP. But the roblem is that the rules are not writen with your case in mind. As a result you can't get a WP.

Correct. The Act creates a Catch 22 for those working in Thailand without a Thailand-based employer. Strictly speaking, a WP is required for any work in Thailand regardless of where the income is received. But only a Thai limited company, partnership or sole proprietorship can apply for a work permit (and in the case of a sole proprietorship, I believe it's only permitted to apply for the spouse of the proprietor). Makes life difficult for agents working in Thailand on behalf of foreign enterprises.

In the situation described by the OP, the best advice has already been given: don't draw attention to yourself and it is highly unlikely you would be the subject of enforcement action.

Yes, you should have a WP. But the roblem is that the rules are not writen with your case in mind. As a result you can't get a WP.

Correct. The Act creates a Catch 22 for those working in Thailand without a Thailand-based employer. Strictly speaking, a WP is required for any work in Thailand regardless of where the income is received. But only a Thai limited company, partnership or sole proprietorship can apply for a work permit (and in the case of a sole proprietorship, I believe it's only permitted to apply for the spouse of the proprietor). Makes life difficult for agents working in Thailand on behalf of foreign enterprises.

In the situation described by the OP, the best advice has already been given: don't draw attention to yourself and it is highly unlikely you would be the subject of enforcement action.

So in other words, risk fine, jail, deportation, and blacklisting in the blind hope that none of them occur. Yep, best advice.