Fireworks Shop

• 5 months later...
im sure i have seen one, but i dont remember where exactly. does anybody know?

I'm a bit of a firework nut myself, and over the last couple of years have sussed out most of the shops selling f/wks. The following is my opinion....

the guy in Lamai has decent prices, but hasn't the faintest idea about fireworks! He is obviously just selling them as an extra 'bit' to his antiques. Most of the fireworks he has are from Thailand, and wouldn't pass even the Chinese safety laws, never mind American!

There is also an Aussie guy based in Lamai... same comment as above, but much less likable. Hard sales job etc... I found him too aggressive.

There has recently been a f/wk shop opened in Chaweng. It looks good until you start asking staff for advice! Again, they havn't a clue. No safety advice, no advice on how to shoot etc. How the h_ell do these people get licences?

There are numerous supermarket-type shops all over Samui selling f/wks along side tissues, jam, bread, and beer. These are essentially Thai, and, although cheap, you don't know how long they have been on the shelves. You won't get any advice either... even if you speak Thai, because they don't know much about them!

Not a decent or safe place to buy fireworks on Samui? Well... yes there is...! I don't know why they don't push themselves more, but The Firework Shop in Bantai (next to LemHoy school) is a bloody oasis in the desert! They sell almost exclusively Chinese stuff (the best!), they give advice on every aspect of setting up and shooting your f/wks... they give a safety leaflet pushing the same points, and they obviously know what they are talking about! It is owned by a Thai woman and an English guy. The guy was there when I went, and we spent a good 30 mins chatting about f/wks (joy for a f/wk nutter like me!). They even shoot FREE if they have a concern that you arent happy shooting your own stuff! The guy (sorry... forgot his name... but i think it was Adam) loves his f/wks, and apparently they shoot most of the shows on the island.

These are the ONLY people I would buy from... ask them ANYTHING about f/wks! Real Pro's!

When it comes to fireworks, dont buy cheap... buy GOOD! Fireworks are bl**dy dangerous. My personal reccommendation? The Firework Shop in Bantai! an easy winner!

... and before you ask... No! I am not being paid for this lol (good idea tho... maybe I should ask them! ) :)

I never understood people who come to a very quiet tropical island and then decide that everyone in a radius of several kilometers have to listen to their explosions. It seems a bit contradictory, and i always wondered what kind of idiots are doing this. Arn't there enough war zones in this world where you can go to and enjoy the thrill? It seems a very selfish deed. But hey not everyone has enough brains to consider other people and not to speak of wildlife/animals who are horrified by this crazy act.

Edited by Obiwan

I never understood people who come to a very quiet tropical island and then decide that everyone in a radius of several kilometers have to listen to their explosions. It seems a bit contradictory, and i always wondered what kind of idiots are doing this. Arn't there enough war zones in this world where you can go to and enjoy the thrill? It seems a very selfish deed. But hey not everyone has enough brains to consider other people and not to speak of wildlife/animals who are horrified by this crazy act.

Jesus !!!! or Bar Humbug is more appropriate !!!

You cant have New Years Eve without fireworks....... everyone loves fireworks at that time of the year dont they ????

and since when is Samui very quiet??? you aint been to chaweng in a while then mate :)

Edited by 1927

Yeah, the fw are really dodgy. I would not recommend lighting them with a handheld lighter, especially if you enjoy having all of your fingers. Get a 1-hour punk and tape it on the end of a 1-metre stick, best advice.

We are not talking about New Year or even Christmas here. This is about random very heavy expolosions that seem to go on every night .

No public holiday whatsoever just a selfish showoff of too much money and probably alcohol by some dumbass toursists who better should go to places like pattaya or even better stay in their homecountry!

Mark Wolfe said in the thread below:

As for the complaint, we do live on a holiday resort island and fun is permitted. Frankly, the fireworks are generally few and never continue very long (look at the cost of some of these things and you will know why).

Oh come on! Even the night before last, when someone or other was blowing his wad big time (a very rare display of sustained firepower), how long did it go on? I think the last salvo was no later than 1am if that.

How long was this horrible breach of etiquette? Five minutes? Ten? Fifteen? Certainly no more than that.

Why not complain about the full moon shining into your bedroom and disturbing your sleep?

Unbelievably petty!

Occasionally in the nearby resorts, there is a wedding party where they fire off some pretty big fairground-sized fireworks. I can just see you guys marching over there...

"Hey! What the hel_l do you think you're doing? Don't you know some people are trying to watch TV over here? What? Wedding? You think that matters to me? Go get married in your own fcking country! Try disturbing your own neighbors; don't come halfway across the world to do it!"

See "Fireworks/crackers Lamai" thread

The fireworks are sporadic at best. Since they are readily available here, what do you suggest? Shooting them off in the daytime?

im sure i have seen one, but i dont remember where exactly. does anybody know?

i own a firework shop ,we are located in lamai,you can check out the website at ........Removed.... we offer,the best prices and service guarenteed,free delivery on orders over 3000 bht,can set up/fire using remote controll-you can fire it yourself if you want.even on smaller fireworks ,we have the best prices with friendly advice/service.have fun but be safe,cheers,

Please PM poster for more details.

What a boring person you must be! Good grief man... get a grip! Asking people who like fireworks to go to a war zone (where people die) to get their 'thrills' is a comment that defies belief! You must be a real fun guy to be with on a night out! lol

Not to speak about the injuries it can cause to other people and your self