New Year's Celebrations Cancelled

joebuzzard

In light of the tsunami disaster, the government has ordered a stop to the big celebrations of New Year's Eve. These include the festival around Rama VIII bridge and Central World Plaza.

Please quote your source.

Without a link to your source the information is worthless, anyone can post a topic saying "XXX has decided to do this, that or the other"

I believe this was mentioned on the radio, I do need a confirmation on this matter. Is this only for big celebrations in Bkk or for any NYE celebration in Thailand (in hotels and clubs).

My client insist for the NYE party but my office mate says there was an announcement on this issue.

Anyone got confirmation?

Explorer

Looks as though it may be true, at least according to this snippet from the Nation.

Three-day mourning period for tidal wave victims and no countdown

Published on Dec 28 , 2004

Government spokesperson Jakrapob Penkhae declared three-day mourning period for disaster victims from December 28-30, 2004 after tidal waves killed an estimated 2,000 people in southern coastal regions, and asked the people to wear all black. Moreover, there would be religious ceremony throughout the country on December 30 at 7pm.

Besides lowering the flag at half-staff, the governmental offices canceled all the New Year celebrations and activities while Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra would not attend any New Year countdown or celebrations.

New Years called off

Guess because the PM won't go, nobody can.

Edited by Silvercharm

Information is still sketchy. And no, I don't have a source. What is in The Nation is all I heard and all I have to go on.

But it appears the big public countdown celebrations are cancelled. I am not sure if this includes Bali Hai Pier in Pattaya.

I do not think this affects hotels, restaurants and bars. They are businesses and can have parties if they want.

In general, though, the mood of celebration is definitely subdued, out of respect to the Royal family and the other victims of the disaster.

So its the 28th to 30th. That should mean that NY's is ok. Look this is a terrible thing thats happened. But life goes on. They can't cancel NY. No one can. Its the start off a New Year and that comes EVERY year.

Just now I felt my suggestion that your 1000 posts were crap was a little harsh.However your latest offering reassures me that you are indeed a insensitive prick of the first order.

So its the 28th to 30th. That should mean that NY's is ok. Look this is a terrible thing thats happened. But life goes on. They can't cancel NY. No one can. Its the start off a New Year and that comes EVERY year.

Just now I felt my suggestion that your 1000 posts were crap was a little harsh.However your latest offering reassures me that you are indeed a insensitive prick of the first order.

And what does that make you?

Read the post the way its supposed to be. Its not making light off the unfortunate disaster. But like every other bad thing that happens. Life does indeed go on. What happened was terrible. There is no doubting that. But to cancel NY! Come on! As for me being a prick. What the fukc does that make you? You are the most miserable <deleted> on this forum. I cant believe that you're still here. I guess you will be alone for Ny as you probably were for Xmas. <deleted>!

Whats the problem Boris?

Its a terribe tragedy what has happened but what do you want? to cancel the celebration of a new year and the hope of a better new year?

:o

Boris boy, you are a miserable git aren't you. Why do you think you are superior to everyone else? Whats going on in your head? Are you lonely, have no friends. Had a hard life?

Cant see that Jockstar has posted anything bad in the last 1000 but in your 150 or so posts you just keep knocking people and putting them down.

I think its time you took a good look at yourself and find out what it is that makes you so miserable.

Cheer up, all the best and hope you have a Happy New Year. :o

Whats the problem Boris?

Its a terribe tragedy what has happened but what do you want? to cancel the celebration of a new year and the hope of a better new year?

I think Boris the bore would like to cancel, Xmas, Halloween, birthdays, ramadan, Valentines, Easter and just about anything that people will have a good time at or religious traditions. Must have a very lonely life and hatred off the rest of the world.

Whats the problem Boris?

I think Boris the bore would like to cancel, Xmas, Halloween, birthdays, ramadan, Valentines, Easter and just about anything that people will have a good time at or religious traditions. Must have a very lonely life and hatred off the rest of the world.

So you all want to celebrate the New Year, but perhaps a bit of guilt permeates the conscience, thinking of all the dead and injured.

Well, the solution is at hand- get down to the Red Cross and donate blood tomorrow morning, before the first tipple of the day, apparently they're short of farang blood, never had so many injured farangs at one time.

So all you party goers get on down to the R.C. at first light.Will they check for Aids? I don't know. Mad cows disease? I doubt it.

bannork

I've just heard the countdown party at Central World Plaza will be turned into a memorial gathering, as will RS Promotion's event at Rajamangla Stadium.

Dtac has cancelled its festivities at Rama VIII Bridge and AIS has cancelled its party in Pattaya.

I wonder about the extended 6am closing times on New Year's Eve?

In light of the tsunami disaster, the government has ordered a stop to the big celebrations of New Year's Eve. These include the festival around Rama VIII bridge and Central World Plaza.

in the light of the terrible tradgedy and reading various comments and thoughts I have decided that the New Year Bar-b-q in my pub will go ahead as planned with the exception that I will donate all the profits to the disaster fund

martin farang connection Surin

After the most horrific week in modern Thai History, I would have thought that a bit of fun a gaiety would be what the doctor prescribed....we all know that the Thais love good sanuk and I dont think that even this would stop them having a great time at New Year. S**t.....I think they deserve it.

apparently they're short of farang blood, never had so many injured farangs at one time.

Farang blood? :o

I also am wondering what is "farang blood"? By all means original poster enlighten me/us.

in the light of the terrible tradgedy and reading various comments and thoughts I have decided that the New Year Bar-b-q in my pub will go ahead as planned with the exception that I will donate all the profits to the disaster fund

martin farang connection Surin

Good for you "farang connection". Life does indeed go on. Besides, I can't say that I quite understand these "cancellations". People die, it's sad, but the Thai way of dealing with death has always been a "party" of sorts. I suppose as "world opinion" might go, the Thai government is trying to show "something" here, but it is beyond me what it might be.

Edited by Ken

Read the post the way its supposed to be. Its not making light off the unfortunate disaster. But like every other bad thing that happens. Life does indeed go on. What happened was terrible. There is no doubting that. But to cancel NY! Come on! As for me being a prick. What the fukc does that make you? You are the most miserable <deleted> on this forum. I cant believe that you're still here. I guess you will be alone for Ny as you probably were for Xmas. <deleted>!

I'm sorry but you can't get out of your unedifying position so easily.As a matter of fact I was surrounded by friends and family at Xmas though New Year will be quieter, but this is not really about you and I.As it happens,I don't have a problem at all with people having a good time but you and your like are too second rate to work up much hostility.On this forum like this you will always have a bunch of half educated creeps agreeing with you and this doesn't faze me one iota.But I do nevertheless wish all a great New Year and,on a final note, I was so proud of the Thais who gave everything they had to save both locals and foreigners.Bless them all.

But I do nevertheless wish all a great New Year and,on a final note, I was so proud of the Thais who gave everything they had to save both locals and foreigners.Bless them all.

Well it is nice to see you write something nice for a change. Also a Happy New Year to all. from me also. :o

Did anyone actually have a WILD New Year's Eve? As I drove down Sukhumvit near midnight, the beer bars seemed pretty busy but it didn't seem like previous years. I had been at the Sheraton where saxophonist Ernie Watts was playing, but it didn't exactly have a festive air. More like a regular Saturday night.