5 Ways You're Killing Your Metabolism!

FITCORPASIA

Hi again! Today I just wanted to give you guys some insight on the most misunderstood buzz word around : metabolism. Nowadays, it's all about metabolism, no matter where you look (men's health, weight watchers...). Yet people don't really understand why it's the crux of any successful diet or fitness program.

So here are 5 big no-no's about it. Actually, if you do the exact opposite of the 5 points below, you'll be in great shape in no time!

Here's the first :

1. Muscle Loss = Slow Metabolism

The saying "use it or lose it" fits perfectly with this anti metabolism problem. After years of you either doing no strength training or ineffective strength training you actually start losing muscle mass. This becomes a huge anti metabolism agent as your muscle is the foundation of your metabolism and determines the speed of your metabolism. This is why we have developed all our fat loss programs around strength training and not cardiovascular exercise. Strength training is the only way to maintain muscle mass and long term fat loss.

It's also the surest way to look better in the mirror, get compliments from both genders (with one gender being more reluctant to give any at all..), AGE BETTER as well. As you age, you naturally lose muscle mass, and with it, posture, energy, etc... I guarantee that adding a strength training program to any routine will, in the short, medium AND long term be more beneficial to your health than any detox, i-eat-only-cabbage-for-15-days-diet, and all the so called magic dhea pills around. :o

So here the second big mistake :

2. No Breakfast = Slow Metabolism

You already know how important it is to eat breakfast but for some reason you still don't do it. Unfortunately that seemingly simple meal you missed is taking a toll on your metabolism. After a long night sleep your body has been on a very light level of starvation due to no food so your metabolism... has slowed itself to maintain what energy it has left. Breakfast is like jump starting a car but its the jump start for you sleepy metabolism. A big healthy breakfast along will boost your metabolism and keep your energy high and maximize the calories your burn in a day.

Well, this is certainly not a sales campaign :o , rather useful and relevant info that I wanted to share (3rd point btw)

3. Adaptation - Ineffective Exercise

All exercise is not equal! Just because you are exercising does not mean you are being effective. After a short period of time your body adapts to the exercise your doing (3-4 weeks). Once it adapts there is very little effort that needs to be made to create change, the muscle and cardiovascular system have stopped progressing. Over time this begins to effect muscle mass (your metabolism) and your muscle begins to shrink (your metabolism slows). This is why with every session we have with clients the session is different, no two are the same. We never allow the body to full adapt and never give the metabolism a chance to slow down.

this point is for people who think that by eating less they lose weight. Well, it's true to a certain extent but once your metabolism is slow enough, aside from feeling sluggish and lifeless, you'll notice that you losing less and less weight and that the lost weight doesn't seem to be around the waist or the butt but somewhere else... where in the world ?? You've lost lean mass tissue because you didn't exercise during your diet and you didn't feed your body with enough protein to sustain your muscle mass. EAT 6 times per day and feel the difference.

4. Little Food = Little Metabolism

For most when they want to lose that extra fat they start cutting the calories by cutting the amount of food they were eating. They end up having fruit for breakfast, a salad for lunch, and a small meal at dinner. Now if your trying to slow your metabolism this is a great method to do so. Another way our metabolism stays active is by being fed. The energy your food provides each meal are little jump starts for the metabolism all day long. So the goal should not be to minimize food intake but to minimize bad food intake, increase good food intake, and increase the amount of times you are eating a day.

Fitcorpa

Agree with what you have posted in general.

I do weights twice a week and play squash twice a week, eat a good diet but still have a little bit of fat around the gut 36 inch waist.

I was always lean even into my forties but can't seem to shift that bit of middle aged spread.

sorry mate, dont mean to take the piss but would be alot easier if you say. "This is what you do to boost your metabloic rate."

Personally i do both cardio and weights.

With weights I go one week heavy, one week reps. Cardio I mix in fastest pace i can go with leisurely run/bike.

Food wise, I eat everything constantly but never stuff myself.

Edited by mmushr00m

5. No Carb - NO Metabolism

Yet another myth amongst those who want and need to lose weight, cut the carbs! There is a little truth in it but as usual it is taken to the extreme and ends up hurting more than helping. Proteins are great but only provide a little energy to the body and do not keep the metabolism very active. Carbohydrates on the other hand are like putting alcohol covered wood into a fire, instant boost! The goal though is to get the right carbohydrate and avoid the bad ones. This is something we speak extensively on in our MAP (Metabolic Advancement Program), our Grocery Shopping Tours, and Our Fat Loss Seminars.

Now that you get a little more idea of how You Are Killing Your Own Metabolism. You can stop blaming what's not really there and take some action. Truth is though taking action can be hard, working out right can be a challenge, and creating new lifestyle habits on your own prove to have a high failure rate. If you really are sick and tired of dealing with the extra pounds, the low energy, and a slow metabolism let us help you get on track with one of our professionally designed programs made for one thing, results!

Alright, I hope this was useful and interesting (for most of you). I'll come up with much more info and goo stuff for you ! Be sure to check out our pinned topic "a fit hello from Fitcorp Asia", there are free vouchers for personal training to get over there ! Cheers

Yes, this is Daniel also. As a team of experts, Fitcorp is here to support, assist and deliver the facts, to ensure readers have the right information to be successful with their health, fitness and performance objectives.

We regularly contribute articles to newspapers, magazines and blogs. "5 ways You Are Killing Your Metabolism" has been written to outline the MISTAKES people make. This is a different way for knowledge to be read and understood by the reader.

Your conclusion is correct. It might be easier, but would it make it more effective. probably not.

However, dont you think that everyone writes the same stuff, and they still dont seem to listen.

this way, you might connect with a particular mistake because you associate this action with yourself. hence the message sinks in, is understood, and then you can take the appropriate action to establish a positive, more effective!!

We also wanted to space out the mistakes in order for people to response one at a time, rather than end up with multiple lines of thought for the same topic.

Lifestyle change is a process - it wont happen over night, so there is no rush, there is the need however to establish the facts, understand why and implement a new positive action towards greater health and longevity.

Hope that helps, and please if you have any specific questions, post away!

Committed to your success,

Daniel. :o

Edited by FITCORPASIA

5. No Carb - NO Metabolism

Proteins are great but only provide a little energy to the body and do not keep the metabolism very active.

See here for a far more convincing argument, with a plethora of compelling evidence (rather than mere assertions), in opposition to your own by a recognized expert:

http://www.arthurdevany.com/

If our metabolisms and fitness matched his, especially at his age, I think we'll have done very well indeed.

I rarely ever miss breakfast, but will sometimes skip lunch in favor of playing basketball. What's your view on that?

Of course, I don't really have to worry about my metabolism as I'm young and relatively active. Maybe when I'm older.

Hey Monroe...

Good question.

Remember, food is fuel! In addition to maintain our metabolism, food is used to power our activities. Obviously you don't want to have a full stomach before you play, but certainly having a small complex carb meal along with a lean protein would be a great snack before you play.

Basketball is very anaerobic, very explosive, and very demanding. So you would need to 'fuel' your body to maximise your performance.

Equally, the post training meal/nutrition is important.

Because of the anaerobic nature of the sport, you have probably depleted your glycogen stores, so you need to replace them ASAP to minimize the breakdown of your muscle. Your body will have to replace the glycogen (glucose) somehow, so if you don't 'fuel' your body with simple sugars to replenish your muscle glycogen, whether you like it or not, your body will have to find it from some where. The next best solution and easiest source of carbohydrate/sugars is your muscle. Your body will break down the muscle protein and turn it into a carbohydrate to replace your depleted glycogen stores. So simple sugar within 15 minutes, and a good complex carb/lean protein meal within 60 minutes.

In addition, eating slight and eating often serves multiple purposes. The other benefit in addition to maintain your Metabolism to manage your energy levels through the management of blood glucose. More on this topic later.

Hope that helps and answers your question.

Dan.

Edited by FITCORPASIA

Hi Daniel,

Question: People often say that Thai food is very good for your metabolism because it's easy to digest. However, what's the effect of spicy food on that?

And what would be better in terms of a balanced diet, stuffing yourself with Thai food to make you feel full and get the necessary carbs etc. or sticking to a foreign, western diet?

Thanks in advance,

Anything spicy will certainly 'spice up' your metabolism. It increases your core body temperature, increases your heart rate, circulation and therefore your metabolism.

As for what would be best??? Also depends on the objective!

Best for????

Best for the average invididual looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle, manage and maximise their energy, and to shed fat or build muscle etc...

*5-6 smaller meals per day (eat light, eat often).

*Combine your foods (carbs and proteins combined) Combining your foods will make your body work harder to break down the nutrients, burning more calories in the process and also the protein will minimise the blood sugar spike from the carbs.

*Avoid white everything! White rice, white bread, white pasta. Especially the rice and bread. Highly processed, very little nutrient value, high on the glycemic index which also means it 'passes' through you faster.

Variation comes down to the quantity that is consumed. Meal frequency, food combining techniques all standard.

You actually want your body to work 'harder' to digest your food. Expend calories to digest, release energy slower, manage blood glucose levels and prevent any insulin spikes which will inhibit your body's ability to use fat a fuel source during rest/sleep/inactivity.

Dan.

Anything spicy will certainly 'spice up' your metabolism. It increases your core body temperature, increases your heart rate, circulation and therefore your metabolism.

As for what would be best??? Also depends on the objective!

Best for????

Best for the average invididual looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle, manage and maximise their energy, and to shed fat or build muscle etc...

*5-6 smaller meals per day (eat light, eat often).

*Combine your foods (carbs and proteins combined) Combining your foods will make your body work harder to break down the nutrients, burning more calories in the process and also the protein will minimise the blood sugar spike from the carbs.

*Avoid white everything! White rice, white bread, white pasta. Especially the rice and bread. Highly processed, very little nutrient value, high on the glycemic index which also means it 'passes' through you faster.

Variation comes down to the quantity that is consumed. Meal frequency, food combining techniques all standard.

You actually want your body to work 'harder' to digest your food. Expend calories to digest, release energy slower, manage blood glucose levels and prevent any insulin spikes which will inhibit your body's ability to use fat a fuel source during rest/sleep/inactivity.

Dan.

Thanks you've answered my question!