Condo Charges

I own a condo unit in my own name. The annual mtce fee is low, so whenever a major renovation is required each unit is charged a certain amount. I have no problem with that. However I strongly suspect the Juristic person is overcharging considerably and personally pocketing the extra. We do not have a Residents Committee. Should I ask to see the expense bills before paying, should I go see a lawyer or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

I don't know how condos work but I live in a small newer village (about 50 houses) that does not have an office/owner or administrators. We all get together and appoint one home owner to take care of the bills such as village electric, trash collection, etc. which costs each home owner about 800B per year. When it comes to repairing a road or that sort of thing we get bids on the work to be done and we discuss which contractor to go with as a community. The bills are available for all residents to review and in general if you take a bill and divide it by 50 that is how much each of us has paid. I don't know if that helps or not but it works for us.

I own a condo unit in my own name. The annual mtce fee is low, so whenever a major renovation is required each unit is charged a certain amount. I have no problem with that. However I strongly suspect the Juristic person is overcharging considerably and personally pocketing the extra. We do not have a Residents Committee. Should I ask to see the expense bills before paying, should I go see a lawyer or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

frodo77 - all I can say is eek! Your juristic team is in part appointed by you! Read the condominium act use the thiavisa search facility there is tons of information on this. The condominium must keep records by law.

Here is a link to my own quick search on the subject - please look at the posts it is quite obvious which ones are relevent

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...condominium+act

frodo77 - all I can say is eek! Your juristic team is in part appointed by you! Read the condominium act use the thiavisa search facility there is tons of information on this. The condominium must keep records by law.

Here is a link to my own quick search on the subject - please look at the posts it is quite obvious which ones are relevent

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/search.html&...condominium+act

Unless your condo is run by Waterford who ignore the law and do not allow you to have a residents committee. Books are never allowed to be seen and when you do finally go through the courts to get you own committee, you will never see the books they kept. And it will take you years to get you sinking fund back.

One of the joys of living in Thailand is the the courts take so long. But there are too many plusses for Thailand to let this worry me.

Toany

I think they all do... I made a couple of spot checks in my new condo... They claim to pay the gardener 11.000 pr month... casually asked him how much he gets and he replied 6.500... All expenses are documented with copy of bank books and bills, but somewhere between the withdrawal and the gardener getting his money it disapears :-)

I assume this is normal and aren't too bothered about it. But the day it becomes an issue I will bring it up.

As far as I know every condo must have a committee... however they might have set it up so that only persons from the developer are members and do not have a re-election when building is completed... of course not by the book but if nobody raises the issue they will get away with it.

"I strongly suspect the Juristic person is overcharging considerably and personally pocketing the extra."

Why?

Yes indeed why. There's nothing wrong with going down to the office and asking to see the invoices for said renovations. I know the office in our build would provide such documents (may take a few days to prepare/copy the papers so don't stand there demanding them that second)

But having a "You're stealing from me" attitude from the get go could end up badly.