Dental Problems Plaguing Students

george

Dental problems plaguing students

Over half a million 12yearolds have skipped school because of toothaches.

BANGKOK: -- "Recent records show that about 57 per cent of children aged 12 and studying in primary school are suffering tooth decay," Public Health Minister Wittaya Kaewparadia said yesterday.

The number of primary school students missing classes due to dental caries has increased from 422,000 in 2001 to 515,000 in 2007.

"Rotten teeth have threatened our young children and disturbed their daily lives," he said.

Tooth decay is a disease where bacterial processes damage hard tooth structures. These tissues progressively break down, producing dental cavities (holes in the teeth).

If left untreated, the disease can lead to pain, tooth loss, infection, and, in severe cases, death. Today, caries remains one of the most common diseases throughout the world.

In a bid to improve young children's dental health, Wittaya has instructed the Health Department to work closer with the Education Ministry.

Dr Narongsak Angkasuwapala said his department has introduced a "School with healthy teeth contest" to promote a dental care programme at the grassroots level.

"Schools and communities should team up to control the consumption of soft drinks and candy more strictly," he said.

Schools should teach children good dental care, such as how to brush their teeth with fluoride toothpaste every time after breakfast and lunch.

"We want teachers to implant healthy dental habits in student's minds to take care their teeth and mouths," he said.

-- The Nation 2009-01-09

Why doesn't the goverment introduce fluoride into the drinking water,this would reduce the instance of dental caries and help with the problemthis was done in Australia over forty years ago and it seems to have helped.

Why doesn't the goverment introduce fluoride into the drinking water,this would reduce the instance of dental caries and help with the problemthis was done in Australia over forty years ago and it seems to have helped.

What water?

Nobody drinks tap water here.

ohh, maybe the aussies. :o

My wife can break almost anything with her teeth,never had a filling,bought up in the contry,where u dont see many fat kids or many with bad teeth.

but even that is changeing,5 yrs ago i left my 2 yr old with her familyfor a few months came back from OZ and half her baby teeth were rotten, too much rubbish and not shown how to clean.[damage done,] i soon change her back from a little spoilt brat to now a beautifull little girl.

their diet is changeing for the worst,now instead of sticky rice with whatever for a snack,now chips and coke etc.

it up to the parents to teach their kids the right way to clean.but help from anywhere is welcome.

cat

My wife can break almost anything with her teeth,never had a filling,bought up in the contry,where u dont see many fat kids or many with bad teeth.

but even that is changeing,5 yrs ago i left my 2 yr old with her familyfor a few months came back from OZ and half her baby teeth were rotten, too much rubbish and not shown how to clean.[damage done,] i soon change her back from a little spoilt brat to now a beautifull little girl.

their diet is changeing for the worst,now instead of sticky rice with whatever for a snack,now chips and coke etc.

it up to the parents to teach their kids the right way to clean.but help from anywhere is welcome.

cat

Hi catwho --- yes you are right. I realize that the reason is obvious but I am constantly surprised at jusy how perfect my (40 yo ) wifes teeth actually are. Excellent formation -- white and she has never had a filling!! Your comment re tooth strength also fits.

Our 17 yo daughter has already had several fillings in her short existance.

You can put most of the blame for this on parents , as in most things to do with life , they should be taught and instilled at a very early age so they become automatic , so what happened in the years between 4/5 and 12 ? Now it has become the schools problem , what else is to become the schools problems ? :o

You can put most of the blame for this on parents , as in most things to do with life , they should be taught and instilled at a very early age so they become automatic , so what happened in the years between 4/5 and 12 ? Now it has become the schools problem , what else is to become the schools problems ? :o

Sadly I think this is the most accurate. My thai GF's family and cousins eat sweets like there is no tomorrow. I'm talking 4 cans of coke a day + sweets whenever the craving hits. People just eat non stop. Even the adults.

You can put a lot of blame on the schools that give concessions to snack stands selling uniformly sugary drinks and snacks, too. They'd be sued in any civilised country.

This is total BS and you know it , there is no excuse for parents not to make healthy snacks for thier children to take to school , a child taught from an early age would not indulge in that type of junk food because they would know that it is unhealthy .

Why would anyone sue the SCHOOLS ? They would (If they won) be taking money away for the education of THIER CHILDREN , far better to protest the vendors , but then , that would entail parents getting actively involved in thier childs welfare which they do not do even in the confines of thier own home . The government should sue the parents for not taking proper care of thier children , in my country that is called CHILD ABUSE , stop making excuses for parents , children came by thier choice or activity , not the childrens . :o

What changed Ozy tooth habits was the very vocal anti fluoride push and the education of the masses to the alternatives ...not every city or town has added this poison to the water supply. Thai parents feel that they have to spoil their children soooooo lots of sweets and soft drinks, the bread tastes as if it's 90% sugar and all of the so called "fruit drinks" have as much sugar as soft drinks!! There is no hope for change unless there is a total push by the health dept. to change the eating habits across the generations. :o

I am afraid that any advice given to many Thai falls on deaf ears , the sterio typical response one gets is "WHY we do dat " . They seem to believe what has been okay for 100 years is still okay today , Buddha will provide , so swing in your hammock and watch the world go by as it most assuredly is doing , mai pen rai , you show them a brand new product "Yeah I know , I know " . Even with the latest crisis they will not admit thier policies are incorrect , put up the prices because Farang stupid , " Yeah , yeah " says he getting on a flight outa here , see you whenever , mai pen rai .

cat

Hi catwho --- yes you are right. I realize that the reason is obvious but I am constantly surprised at jusy how perfect my (40 yo ) wifes teeth actually are. Excellent formation -- white and she has never had a filling!! Your comment re tooth strength also fits.

So what is your excuse for the state of your daughters teeth ?

cat

So what is your excuse for the state of your daughters teeth ?

While I might not agree with him in much I must say it is not always as easy as just to 'control the kids'. Especially as a foreigner you are constantly being outmaneuvered and overruled on decisions regarding health and food in any way there is, for no other reason than that your advice isn't from a local person and it's 'not how we do things'. It's fun being a parent and a having to work 11+h per day and trying to argue what ones kid should and should eat, should and should be allowed to do and knowing that everyone along the way, be it the extended family, nurses or maids or the staff at the daycare is going to do their way when you step outside the door... </rant>

Should you have a family with chidren , it can be very difficult to instil good habits in them when the old folk are not prepared to budge from the old ways , move the children away from the old folk or allow your children to pay the consequencies , does not sound such a difficult problem to me . The children are responsible to you and your wife for thier behavior , once you have that out of the way I cannot see a problem unless you allow the grandparents to rule the roost , that is your choice and perogative , up to you to enforce it , put your foot down with a firm hand .