Something To Do For 83 Year Old Mom

Larry

My mother, 83, is a well-educated, capable person who moved to Chiangmai to live with us, about four months ago. Now that she is getting used to the place, she really needs something to do. She is a native English speaker, but does not speak any Thai. I've researched a bit, but many of the opportunities I've found (i.e. working with elephants, etc) just does not fit due to her age. Perhaps someone can suggest either volunteering or perhaps another activity that she might enjoy (initially about six hours a week). Please message me through this site, or call me at 053-400228.

There are a couple of orphanges that would probably be happy for some assistance. Vieng Ping orphanage out near Huay Tuang Tao is one. Work permit is normally a requirement even for volunteers but believe this orphanage has "arrangements".

(Ban dek Orn Vieng Ping) No. 63/3 Moo.4 Tambon Donkaew Amphur Donkaew Chiang Mai Tel: 053-211877

At 83 years old, your mother must have a wealth of experience in many areas that could be shared with others. I think it might be useful to prioritise the things she particularly enjoys and is good at and perhaps it might then be easier for others to make suggestions.

Oral history in the form of just listening to an elderly person often has great rewards - sharing childhood memories, teenage life, living through wars, thoughts on life today etc....a valuable education not found in schools or books.

I think it's fantastic to have reached 83 and still want to do something useful - good luck :o

There are a couple of orphanges that would probably be happy for some assistance. Vieng Ping orphanage out near Huay Tuang Tao is one. Work permit is normally a requirement even for volunteers but believe this orphanage has "arrangements".

(Ban dek Orn Vieng Ping) No. 63/3 Moo.4 Tambon Donkaew Amphur Donkaew Chiang Mai Tel: 053-211877

a work permit is ALWAYS required even for volunteers

i admire this lady's intentions but please be careful. get advice from the proper authorities if you are unclear would be my advice.

At 83 years old, your mother must have a wealth of experience in many areas that could be shared with others. I think it might be useful to prioritise the things she particularly enjoys and is good at and perhaps it might then be easier for others to make suggestions.

Oral history in the form of just listening to an elderly person often has great rewards - sharing childhood memories, teenage life, living through wars, thoughts on life today etc....a valuable education not found in schools or books.

I think it's fantastic to have reached 83 and still want to do something useful - good luck :o

yes so do i,how about the local govt.schools,maybe sitting in on an english language class(thai teacher who teaches english,relating experiences to the children and the thai teacher could translate,something like that,maybe just for 1 or 2 hours a day.i did a couple of tours to isaan to a district area english camp,each visit lastes about 4 days.they were desperate to have english speaking(native language) at the camp to take lessons with the thai english teachers,a lot of fun,i did n't have any papers for this,and i got my travelling expenses paid.

yes so do i,how about the local govt.schools,maybe sitting in on an english language class(thai teacher who teaches english,relating experiences to the children and the thai teacher could translate,something like that,maybe just for 1 or 2 hours a day.i did a couple of tours to isaan to a district area english camp,each visit lastes about 4 days.they were desperate to have english speaking(native language) at the camp to take lessons with the thai english teachers,a lot of fun,i did n't have any papers for this,and i got my travelling expenses paid.

What a great idea, relating an 83 year old woman's life experiences in 'farangland', with a Thai teacher translating. Kids would get the best of both worlds, the opportunity of listening to a native speaker and a great life history lesson. Immigration rules are fairly strict, but if something like this is done through a school, I doubt very much that there would be any problem.....the guys at immigration might even send their kids along or request the same at their school.

Just looked through this thread with my mother. The idea of a life history lesson would suit her. Maybe also a little about living in New York City. She got a great laugh out of the discussion about the immigration aspects, especially the "headline". What a wonderful forum this is! If anyone has additional ideas, we are very happy to hear them. Personally, I dont think anyone would object to my mother going to a thai classroom and presenting her story for an English lesson.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Does your mother want to truly help someone, or are you interested in helping her fill her time "productively?" Being an effective volunteer isn't a casual enterprise. I hope your mother, 83 years wise but certainly still young, sees the need to prepare herself.

Just looked through this thread with my mother. The idea of a life history lesson would suit her. Maybe also a little about living in New York City. She got a great laugh out of the discussion about the immigration aspects, especially the "headline". What a wonderful forum this is! If anyone has additional ideas, we are very happy to hear them. Personally, I dont think anyone would object to my mother going to a thai classroom and presenting her story for an English lesson.

the thai children would be intrigued to learn why such an elderley person would travel so far to live in a foreign country,that in itself would be a good start.as another poster suggested though,a good place to start would be thai language classes so she could communicate a little with the locals,that would set a good impression,and while your mum goes to thai language classes you could perhaps find some native english language teachers at your local schools and suss out whether they think schools might be interested.

then let her do it.

but som nam naa

So many Thai's, especially students, want to improve their English conversational capacity, and I am sure if you went to a headmaster of any high school or commercial college, arrangements would be made to tutor students on a one on one basis or in small groups after school hours.

I'm sure it would be rewarding to your mother to help others, as well as the students to have the extra attention of a native English speaker giving them an added opportunity to converse in English.

To be realistic, I doubt whether there are any employment opportunities for an 83 year old Farang lady in Chiang Mai, paid or otherwise.

Perhaps the OP should be looking into finding her a hobby, something of interest, rather than employment.

exactly; those of us who now the ropes here should be giving sensible advice not making dangerous comments

some posters are out of order suggesting illegal activities. do they live on a different planet? or live in some cosy farang moo baan with no contact with the real thais.

In theory, it is a great idea. Good for the OP and his mom, wishing to help.

Regardless of legalities, most Thai children in Thai schools may not want to hear more than two minutes of any English lesson. I question how many school administrators would welcome her with open arms, etc. I worked in the provinces with an elderly, retired woman who had been headmistress of a prestigious girls' school. There was no way for her to fit in. Heck, I was over the hill here, years ago, and I am nowhere near 75. Thais are not overly fascinated with how New York City was in 1943, although my friend did enthrall us farang, once, with a story about San Francisco in 1942.

Back home, there are more opportunities for elder volunteers. This is a whole 'nother world here. Maybe a couple of brief speeches to international school classes who understand native English. Maybe informal tutoring to those who really want it. But generally not much demand for this sort of thing, I think. But I am often mistaken.