Day At Yamaha Dealer

Bard

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you guys do test them Yammies. Remember to ride em like you stole em!! :)

Yamaha has a one piece racing suit for us to borrow so I will be trying to get my knee down If I can. The bikes are insured so dropping them doesn't seem to be an issue. Any tips on getting knees down travelmate?

First of all, you guys scored bigtime!

A track day with no fear of wrecking the bike, and a free suit rental!

To me that is just crazy, I remember some dealers in the US wouldn't even let you test ride their bikes on the street.

All you could do is sit on it and then decide to drop thousands of dollars on it.

Thought I'd just chime in on laying the knee down.

It sure looks cool and it feels even better, but don't try too hard to do it if you don't feel comfortable.

Everyone rides differently and you don't have to lay your knee down to go fast.

In fact if you go too slow in a turn and you're hanging off too much, you're making the bike more unstable than if you just fully sat on the seat.

Keeping one cheek on the seat makes good sense as it keeps weight on top of the tire and not to the side of it.

I learned of this advice when I did a one-on-one track day at Willow Springs with Doug Polen who has 4 WSB Champion titles to his name.

He literally followed me around the track and radio'ed me advice as we lapped the track.

I was doing up to 100 mph in the turns and he suggested to not hang off the bike.

In fact, he would fly by me at 120mph on the long sweepers sitting straight up and with one hand on his hip as if he was taking a turn at 40 mph.

During the 6 sessions I was on the track I managed to scrape my toe sliders, use all my rear tire, but just couldn't get my knees down.

It's just the way I prefer to ride I guess, no knees.

Too bad for me because scraping the knee sliders is fun (I'm restricted to scraping knees on pocketbikes since you have to on those little clown machines).

With the lack of safety concerns here I can only hope Yamaha provides a tech to set up the suspension for you and have the recommended air pressure for the type & brand of tire you're riding that day.

During my track day with Doug, I had my suspension setup by race techs, the tires were new BT016 street tires and at the recommended pressure.

Still, midway through my day the front tire slipped out on me as I was leaned over.

Scared me for a sec as I had to ride the bike 100 miles home later.

I'm no racer or wealth of knowledge, but I wanted to pass on my little experience as it could save you from wrecking yourself.

Have a blast and post pictures up so we can be jealous.

The ever elusive and 'holy grail' of getting your 'knee down' eh?

Can't say it really sucks me in that much, biking is so much more than ultra-rapid cornering and scraping you knee armour...

It's the buzz and energy of the ride itself rather than the all-out corner that is the true quest for answers! :)

First of all, you guys scored bigtime!

A track day with no fear of wrecking the bike, and a free suit rental!

-snip-

I'm no racer or wealth of knowledge, but I wanted to pass on my little experience as it could save you from wrecking yourself.

Have a blast and post pictures up so we can be jealous.

Interesting post, but please check the dates before posting.

HI can someone post the contact details to this Yamaha dealer

Thanks

RCP

Trent and myself had a great day at Yamaha dealer in Bangkok, great bikes, great service.

[...]

Are you talking about the one on Ratchada? Went there and was also impressed with their service, especially with their mechanics who seem to be totally addicted to bikes. Wonderful!