Arrest Warrant Out For Santika Nightclub Owner

george

The more I read things like that, the more I keep thinking I wanna pack my bags and move.

How does Thailand actually get away with all that? Where is the morality? Are foreign press so closely monitored here that there's no way to open this publicly untill the bottom? I'm just stunned sometimes ...

They deserve death penalty after 10 years in filthy jail as an example.

People who don't mind other people's lives do not deserve that we mind theirs.

After the he_ll thoese people in the club went through, I hope they do get these people and give them the justice they truly deserve. Death is too quick and easy.

So should the owners of this club bet executed because they blatantly disregarded the safety of their customers, or because they were unlucky enough to have a disaster occur on their turf?

Let's execute every Thai business owner that loads too many people into their club, hotel, pickup, boat, restaurant etc and execute every business owner that locks their fire exits to prevent customers from skipping out on their bills. While we are at it, let's execute all the government officials that allow the regulations to be bypassed. We'll soon have the population of Bangkok down to that of Nakon Nowhere.

I did have medical insurance but due to the 'small print' and typical loopholes it will only end up covering about 50-60, 000 baht. One of the shareholders from Santika came round and gave me a measly 10,000 baht with the promise that they are organizing a fund raiser with thai pop stars to come up with more - I wont hold my breath.

I am 90% sure the fire was started by the band who were doing indoor pyrotechnics, as soon as the fire started the band escaped through an exit in the back only they knew about. After the incident the band did many interviews on Thai TV and appeared to be unscathed.

Having been in Thailand for 4 years i know that trying to take these people to court is futile, it will probably be tied up until 2050.

I read in either Nation or Bangkok Post that some some public Thai Ministry department said they were going to cover the expenses for the injured- might be worth a try to do a search and followup. It would have been a paper in past 7 or 8 days I believe.

Yes I heard something similar about some government body picking up the tab but i cant find anything concrete. If you manage to find out more please let me know.

Btw, I tried one of the 'fire exits' when the blaze broke out and surprise surprise it was welded shut.

Let's face it, business owners in Thailand will do whatever they can to make maximum profits. But that's not only true of Thailand -- profit-oriented people everywhere are generally greedy and will try to get away with whatever they can. That's why more civilized countries have government agencies that set regulations (like having suitable fire exits in entertainment venues) as well as other sensible safety measures. This type of government activity barely, if at all, exists in Thailand, and where it does, it can be easily circumvented with a bit of money. The owners of Santika should certainly be made accountable for the New Year's Eve tragedy, but so also should the Thai government. This horrible event could likely have been prevented if the BIB and government officials weren't so easily bought off.

China policeman jailed for nightclub fire disaster

BEIJING, Jan 21 (Reuters) - China has jailed a senior police officer for 11 years for taking bribes and dereliction of duty in connection with a night club fire that killed dozens of people last year, local media said on Wednesday.

Fireworks set off during a dance show at an illegal night club in Longgang, a blue-collar area just across the border from Hong Kong, sparked a blaze that killed 44 people and injured at least 64 last September.

Investigations later found the club was unlicensed but had been allowed to stay in business despite being a den of prostitution and drug-taking, the Southern Metropolitan Daily said in a report posted on its website (www.nddaily.com).

Chen Xuming, deputy chief of the Longgang Public Security Bureau, had been "seriously irresponsible in his work, and had made no effective crackdown on the unlicensed venue," the paper quoted the Yantian District People's Court in the southern city of Shenzhen as saying.

Chen had also received perks and taken 60,000 yuan ($8,800) in bribes from the club's owners, the paper said.

China's night clubs have a grim record of fire safety and often act as fronts for prostitution and drug-selling under police protection.

A fire at a karaoke club and bath-house in Tianshifu township in northeastern Liaoning province in 2007 killed at least 25 people and injured dozens. (Reporting by Ian Ransom; Editing by Nick Macfie)

Source: China policeman jailed for nightclub fire disaster - Reuters

One can only pressume that the Thong Lor police won't end up going through anything like this.

The more I read things like that, the more I keep thinking I wanna pack my bags and move.

How does Thailand actually get away with all that? Where is the morality? Are foreign press so closely monitored here that there's no way to open this publicly untill the bottom? I'm just stunned sometimes ...

TIT

Santika blaze survivor sues for damages

Bangkok Post Jan 21, 2009 LINK

First consumer case to seek B6m from owners

In what is seen as a test case, a survivor of the New Year nightclub fire yesterday filed the first consumer suit against the owners of the Santika pub, demanding six million baht in damages.

As the first case against the owners after the fire claimed 66 lives in the early hours of New Year's Day, survivor Santisuk Marongsri said he wanted to set a precedent for future cases.

The Bangkok Civil Court accepted the case and scheduled mediation for Feb 16, said lawyer Chairat Sang-aron, who represents Mr Santisuk, 30.

Mr Chairat asked the court to consider it as a consumer case, not a normal civil suit, so court procedures would be handled within the new framework of the Consumer Case Procedures Act which took effect on Aug 23 last year.

The new law allows consumers to file cases, verbally or in writing, at any civil court against business operators without hiring legal representation.

The process is much faster and less expensive than in other types of civil suits. The burden of proof also falls on the business operators, not the plaintiff.

The court ruling will set a precedent for other Santika suits if they are filed by survivors or victims' relatives.

The court will let it be known in three days whether Mr Santisuk's case will go ahead as a consumer suit, Mr Chairat said.

"Mr Santisuk is demanding 5.4 million baht to help him recover mentally and about 700,000 baht for physical damage," said Mr Chairat, a member of the Lawyers Council of Thailand.

The plaintiff has named 33 shareholders and the directors of White & Brothers (2003) Co, which operated the club, as defendants, he said.

The case specifies that Mr Santisuk suffered physical and mental damage due to "negligence by the club's operators" who failed to put in place sufficient fire exits and safety standards as required by law. It accuses the club of admitting more customers than the pub could legally hold, and of not having a fire insurance policy.

Mr Santisuk, a host with the satellite TV station ASTV, said he was demanding compensation on mental grounds because he was still suffering insomnia and psychological problems.

On the night of the blaze, he said he had to climb over bodies lying on the club's floor before finding a light that led him to an exit.

"I could have died if I had made a slightly different decision to follow other signs of light," he said. "The incident still haunts me every day. I keep feeling guilty for surviving the blaze while many other people died."

The lawyer said his client had not yet decided whether to file other cases with the Administrative Court against state authorities, the police and Watthana district administration for failing to enforce the law on safety standards.

He urged other survivors and victims' kin to file consumer cases against the club's operators.

Three execs of fire-gutted pub summonsed to hear charges

BANGKOK, Jan 22 (TNA) - The Thai police have issued summonses for three executives of a Bangkok club to acknowledge charges of recklessly causing other people's deaths in a club fire in the early hours of New Year's Day, killing 66 people, a senior police officer said on Thursday.

Deputy police commissioner Pol. Gen. Jongrak Jutanont, said the trio, identified as Thawatchai Thumma, general manager in charge of the Santika Club's premises, Putthipong Wilakkree, marketing manager and Pongthep Chinda, entertainment manager, must appear at Bangkok's Thong Lor police station to hear the charges on Friday, otherwise warrants will be issued for their arrest.

Gen. Jongrak said Mr. Thawatchai was accused of violating safety standards by allowing too many customers to enter the venue, while Mr. Putthipong was accused of sending instant short messages (SMS text messages) inviting customers beyond the capacity allowed. Mr. Pongthep was responsible for the special effects and pyrotechnics display on stage.

Recklessly causing other people's deaths is punishable by a 10 years jail term in Thailand and a fine of up to 20,000 baht.

Police investigators earlier ruled out speculation that the fire may have been started by 'sparklers' used by party-goers, saying there was no evidence pointing to that cause. Investigators instead were focusing on the special effects and pyrotechnics display on stage.

The deputy police commissioner said police are now trying to locate Suriya Rit-rabue, the club manager, who was accused of allowing under-aged customers to enter the entertainment venue. He failed to appear to acknowledge the charge after being summonsed twice.

The fire raced through the two-storey Santika Club, engulfing many in flames. Others died of smoke inhalation or in a stampede as revellers tried to escape through the club's single apparent exit.

Foreign victims included three Singaporeans, one Myanmar national, one Japanese and one Sudanese. (TNA)

General News : Last Update : 13:24:38 22 January 2009 (GMT+7:00)

Club disaster execs deny charges in New Year's tragedy

BANGKOK, Jan 23 (TNA) - Three executives of a Bangkok club on Friday denied police charges of recklessly causing other people's deaths in a club fire in the early hours of New Year's Day, killing 66 people.

Thawatchai Thumma, general manager in charge of the Santika Club's premises, Putthipong Wilakkree, marketing manager and Pongthep Chinda, entertainment manager, appeared at Thonglor police station to acknowledge the charges, but denied their own responsibility. They will be released after being questioned by police investigators.

Mr. Thawatchai was accused of violating safety standards by allowing too many customers to enter the venue, while Mr. Putthipong was accused of sending instant short messages (SMS text messages) inviting patrons beyond the capacity allowed by building inspectors and codes. Mr. Pongthep was responsible for the special effects and pyrotechnics display on stage.

Recklessly causing other people's deaths is punishable by a 10-year jail term in Thailand and a fine of up to 20,000 baht.

Police investigators earlier ruled out speculation that the fire may have been started by pyrotechnic 'sparklers' used by party-goers, saying there was no evidence pointing to that cause. Investigators instead were focusing on the special effects and the more elaborate pyrotechnics display on stage.

Police investigators said they have located the whereabout of Suriya Rit-rabue, the club manager, who failed to surrender to police after being summonsed twice.

The fire raced through the two-storey Santika Club, engulfing many in flames. Others died of smoke inhalation or in the stampede as revellers panicked and tried to escape through the club's single apparent exit.

Foreign victims included three Singaporeans, one Myanmar national, one Japanese and one Sudanese. (TNA)

General News : Last Update : 14:03:54 23 January 2009 (GMT+7:00)

As pointed out previously, it's important this keeps in the public eye - despite the seeming lack of progress. Thanks to TV news mods for the updates and may others also continue to keep an eye on the news and continue to contribute updates as well.

Edited by baht&sold

Three more Santika bosses come forward

Published: 24/01/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

Another three managers from the Santika pub reported themselves to Thong Lor police yesterday, denying any involvement in the New Year pub fire that killed 66 revellers.

Police on Thursday summoned the pub manager in charge of the location, Thawatchai Srithumma, marketing manager Wutthipong Waialakkree and entertainment manager Pongthep Jinda. They are accused of recklessness leading to death and injury, but deny the charges. They were released without bail.

Chief investigator Pol Col Kachornsak Pansakorn said police were still searching for Suriya Ritrabue, managing director of White & Brothers (2003) Co which operates the pub.

Investigators had concluded findings into the cause of the blaze but could not make it public for fear of the negative impact on the case.

From Bangkok Post today.

"fear of the negative impact" ????

Three more Santika bosses come forward

Published: 24/01/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

Another three managers from the Santika pub reported themselves to Thong Lor police yesterday, denying any involvement in the New Year pub fire that killed 66 revellers.

Police on Thursday summoned the pub manager in charge of the location, Thawatchai Srithumma, marketing manager Wutthipong Waialakkree and entertainment manager Pongthep Jinda. They are accused of recklessness leading to death and injury, but deny the charges. They were released without bail.

Chief investigator Pol Col Kachornsak Pansakorn said police were still searching for Suriya Ritrabue, managing director of White & Brothers (2003) Co which operates the pub.

Investigators had concluded findings into the cause of the blaze but could not make it public for fear of the negative impact on the case.

From Bangkok Post today.

"fear of the negative impact" ????

Well certainly looks like Suriya has done a runner, what a piece of shit he is. I hope when they find him, they lock him up, and throw away the key.

Not sure, what the "negative impact" would be, but I suppose we will have to wait and see what the findings are in court. This should start moving, if Santisuk Marongsri gets his case heard. Refreshing to see that he is directing his legal action against all of the sharholders of Santika, which IMO is exactly what should happen.

3 Executives of Santika Pub Turn Themselves in to Police

UPDATE : 23 January 2009

Three executives of Santika Pub who have been summoned by the police for recklessness causing death, have turned themselves in to police enquiry officers. However, they deny all charges against them.

Three managers of Santika Pub including Resident Manager Tawatchai Sriphumpa, Marketing Manager Putthipong Wailukri, and Entertainment Manager Pongthep Chinda travelled to Thonglor Police Station to turn themselves in earlier this morning after they were summoned by the police.

The police stated that Marketing Manager Putthipong Wailukri was the person who sent text messages via mobile phones to about 15,000 clients, inviting them to join the party, which aimed to gain profits without concern for the clients' safety.

The police also added that Entertainment Manager Pongthep Chinda was responsible for the entertainment acts and the installation of effects on stage on the night of the blaze.

The three Santika Pub managers have been charged with recklessness causing death. However, the three accused parties have denied all charges and said they will only testify in court.

Deputy Commander of the Region 5 Metropolitan Police Division, Police Colonel Kajonsak Tunsakorn said the police released the three managers without bail because they reported to the police when they were summoned.

Colonel Kajornsak added that currently, the police know the general whereabouts of the managing director of Santika Pub, Suriya Ritrabue, who has been on the run since an arrest warrant was issued against him. It has been reported that Suriya is still in the country and the police are now waiting to nab him.

Arrest warrant? Why weren't they under lock and key already?

Club disaster execs deny charges in New Year's tragedy

BANGKOK, Jan 23 (TNA) - Three executives of a Bangkok nightclub on Friday denied police charges of recklessly causing other people's deaths in a fire in the early hours of New Year's Day which killed 66 people.

Thawatchai Thumma, general manager in charge of Santika Club's premises, Putthipong Wilakkree, marketing manager and Pongthep Chinda, entertainment manager, appeared at Thonglor police station to acknowledge the charges, but denied they were responsible. They will be released after being questioned by police investigators.

Mr. Thawatchai was accused of violating safety standards by allowing too many customers to enter the venue, while Mr. Putthipong was accused of sending instant short messages (SMS text messages) inviting patrons beyond the capacity allowed by building inspectors and codes. Mr. Pongthep was responsible for the special effects and pyrotechnics display on stage.

Recklessly causing other people's deaths is punishable by a 10-year jail term in Thailand and a fine of up to 20,000 baht.

Police investigators earlier ruled out speculation that the fire may have been started by pyrotechnic 'sparklers' used by party-goers, saying there was no evidence pointing to that cause. Investigators instead were focusing on the special effects and the more elaborate pyrotechnics display on stage.

Police investigators said they had located the whereabouts of Suriya Rit-rabue, the club manager, who failed to surrender to police after being summonsed twice.

The fire raced through the two-storey Santika Club just after midnight on New Year's day, engulfing many in flames. Others died of smoke inhalation or in the stampede as revellers panicked and tried to escape through the club's single apparent exit.

Foreign victims included three Singaporeans, one Myanmar national, one Japanese and one Sudanese.

Looks like Sirayu has 'done a Thaksin', and got out before he takes the fall.

1 million Baht is bloody peanuts, considering the amount of deaths and serious injuries that this incident has caused. One poster here has a medical bill for over 500,000 baht. Personally, I think this guy should hae been remanded without bail, but then I guess thats not applicable to people like this scum. :o

Needless to say, the system for exploitation has been, and may remain, in place for decades. Granted, all individuals who pay corrupt police are guilty. I think it prudent however to charge as guilty those who took bribes, those officials who knew/know that it is taking place, and politicians who lead this very debilitating way of self gain. Are there really laws in Thailand? Or are there only laws for the poor. I’ll reiterate AGAIN what a college professor stated: If there is no punishment, there is no crime. And again I’ll reflect on the adage: What we allow, We condone.

Police: Fireworks caused pub fire

AFP/Bangkok Post Published: 25/01/2009 at 09:56 PM (article link)

An investigation has determined fireworks caused a devastating blaze that ripped through a Bangkok nightclub on New Year's Day killing 65 people, a top police official said Saturday.

Police have so far charged five people in connection with the fire at the upscale Santika club in the Thai capital, which also injured more than 200 revellers, minutes after the New Year countdown.

"The fire at Santika pub was caused by fireworks, according to the police investigation," said deputy national police chief Pol Gen Jongrak Jutanont. "There will be more arrests."

He would not reveal whether the fire was started by a pyrotechnics display put on by the club or the sparklers handed out to party-goers, saying full details of the investigation would be officially announced on Monday.

Police earlier this month issued arrest warrants for two men involved in the running of Santika on charges of negligence causing death and admitting under-age people.

On Friday, Santika's general manager, marketing manager and entertainment manager were also charged with negligence leading to death, Pol Gen Jongrak told AFP.

Emergency services have said the death toll was high because there were few exits and the windows on the upper floors had iron bars across them. Some of the dead were crushed to death in the stampede to escape.

Santika had been refused an operating licence since 2004 because of safety concerns but remained open while appealing that decision, raising worries about standards at many bars and nightclubs.

Looks like Sirayu has 'done a Thaksin', and got out before he takes the fall.

1 million Baht is bloody peanuts, considering the amount of deaths and serious injuries that this incident has caused. One poster here has a medical bill for over 500,000 baht. Personally, I think this guy should hae been remanded without bail, but then I guess thats not applicable to people like this scum. :o

Needless to say, the system for exploitation has been, and may remain, in place for decades. Granted, all individuals who pay corrupt police are guilty. I think it prudent however to charge as guilty those who took bribes, those officials who knew/know that it is taking place, and politicians who lead this very debilitating way of self gain. Are there really laws in Thailand? Or are there only laws for the poor. I’ll reiterate AGAIN what a college professor stated: If there is no punishment, there is no crime. And again I’ll reflect on the adage: What we allow, We condone.

Emergency services have said the death toll was high because there were few exits and the windows on the upper floors had iron bars across them. Some of the dead were crushed to death in the stampede to escape.

Santika had been refused an operating licence since 2004 because of safety concerns but remained open while appealing that decision, raising worries about standards at many bars and nightclubs.

As pointed out above, one hopes ALL those found guilty of this horrific and needless tragedy (and applicable officials as well) are punished. However a sceptical public will still be wondering what 'their' (owners) punishment may actually be in real terms. Also, will the officials whom appear to have aided and abetted this tragedy be publicly identified and punished?

Will the current 'alleged' bribe-to-open (and to keep open) system be exposed and countered? Also, regarding the standards of many bars, nightclubs and even malls, factories, offices and dwellings will this be addressed in any meaningful, measured and accountable way?

These are critical questions and this case is far from settled until they're answered. For the sake of those needlessly lost in this (and other tragic cases) this is likely the ONLY way to a sense or even a possibility of closure.

Edited by baht&sold