I was quoted 100k to remove a hemorrhoid. Outrageous.

I live in a regional city not bkk. Recently went to a private hospital and told the nurse that I have a large painful hemorrhoid on the outside of my butt near the rectum. How much I asked her. After a few minutes she said 100% and that includes spinal anesthesia. She asked if I wanted to see the surgeon. I said no thanks. 

5 yrs ago in Bumrungrad a dr put local into my butt and cut one out and I think it was 3k to 4k maybe. 2 yrs ago I had another one inside my rectum. Same hospital. They used a rubber band technique to remove it. I think that was up to 10k. 

So now I dont know what to do. It feels huge and so painful. Im using cream. Should I be going to Bkk. What happens if I do nothing for a week or so. Is it going to go away on its own. 

Its just a complete nightmare to have this on my butt right now

thanks

• Confused 2
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 2

The cost of the surgical facility, the anesthetic, the removal and the stitches can really add up. According to MDsave, the average cost of a hemorrhoidectomy in the United States is $9,592. CostHelper suggests that some patients pay as much as $12,000.

Check around they will probably want you to spend at least one night in the hospital in Thailand at a private hospital.

Also, I doubt it will just go away on its own.  Those creams never worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I was quoted 100k to remove a hemorrhoid. Outrageous."

How BIG was it?

If it were as big as a basketball, then maybe the price was right....

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, UWEB said:

Prices in Private Hospitals are complete out of control, and Government Hospitals are not really an alternative.

Just to remove one mole, Bangkok hospital wanted 22k.

I remeved 3 in Norway for 700 baht all included with cancer check. Sometimes my tax money repaying. No way Im ever going to pay tax to Thailand

Edited by Hummin
  • Confused 3
  • Agree 2

17 hours ago, advancebooking said:

I live in a regional city not bkk. Recently went to a private hospital and told the nurse that I have a large painful hemorrhoid on the outside of my butt near the rectum. How much I asked her. After a few minutes she said 100% and that includes spinal anesthesia. She asked if I wanted to see the surgeon. I said no thanks. 

5 yrs ago in Bumrungrad a dr put local into my butt and cut one out and I think it was 3k to 4k maybe. 2 yrs ago I had another one inside my rectum. Same hospital. They used a rubber band technique to remove it. I think that was up to 10k. 

So now I dont know what to do. It feels huge and so painful. Im using cream. Should I be going to Bkk. What happens if I do nothing for a week or so. Is it going to go away on its own. 

thanks

Last year when I was at Bumrungrad for other reasons I noticed a "package" they were flogging for hemorrhoids they were flogging. It was $160,000 including a night in the hospital, local anaesthetic and surgeon and hospital fees. I can't quite see them doing it for 3-4K somehow. 

• Like 1

My wife had this and a very bad case of it. 

She had an injection in the haemorrhoid for ฿25,000 and it went away.

4-6 weeks and it had come off and she's been trouble free since.  

17 hours ago, 3STTW said:

US healthcare prices are not a good comparison. What is worrying is that Thai private healthcare is getting up to EU/UK prices - and this is pushing insurance premiums beyond many expats' budgets.

I was getting treatment the other day and there were at least four of the patients in that department bitching about their bills.

True. My wife's silicone implants were ฿75,000 10 years ago and now to replace them at the same private hospital its ฿300,000. 

17 hours ago, advancebooking said:

thanks

With those kind of "operations" you will have problems up to the end.

Eat/avoid some food. (A lot of fiber, less meat)

And depending on your case here some explanation:

https://generalsurgery.ucsf.edu/conditions--procedures/hemorrhoidectomy.aspx#:~:text=Types of hemorrhoidectomies and related,for Prolapse and Hemorrhoids - PPH)

3 hours ago, retarius said:

Last year when I was at Bumrungrad for other reasons I noticed a "package" they were flogging for hemorrhoids they were flogging. It was $160,000 including a night in the hospital, local anaesthetic and surgeon and hospital fees. I can't quite see them doing it for 3-4K somehow. 

$160,000 for that package is outrageous. 

16 hours ago, Random8 said:

I'm beginning to think this is a troll post...

Yep, especially when it quotes 100% instead of Bht 100k.

They are 100% treatable in most cases by yourself. If you want my opinion toilets are hemrhoid manufacturers. Stay off toilets… well when you go, go right away and get off right away. Do not sit there for an hour like your dad and grandpa did. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, UWEB said:

Prices in Private Hospitals are complete out of control, and Government Hospitals are not really an alternative.

I disagree, there's plenty of excellent government hospitals all over Thailand with well qualified excellent doctors and nursing staff and plenty of English. Shop around.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, advancebooking said:

thanks

Nonsense! 100k baht (2700 US dollars) is a fraction of what you pay in the West for this operation! In Europe it costs around 15k dollars (540k baht) and more.Dream a little more.:coffee1:

Posted (edited)

Old price list from 2019 for all hospitals under the Government of public healh. 

Look at Group 3 for prices if you hold tourist, retirement or marriage visa. I have not yet seen any hospitals starting to use the discriminating prices thanks to Erwin Buse's fight for all of us against the discrimination of foreigners so maybe the price list to the left valid from 29.9.2019 with some price increase is what they charge now.

Hopefully you can use rubber band it is very simple and takes just a few minutes to do so ask for that it is cheap even in UK just £300 Price list | Haemorrhoid Clinic

image.png.ba43077713628b2d17ab9977f221d3aa.png

Edited by Trollmann
  • Thanks 1

Numerous off-topic and/or trolling podts have been rrmoved.

This is the health forum, not the place to make jokes about a valid (and painful) medical condition. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1