International Driving Permit (idp)

canopy

I have been through the archives but am not totally clear. Would be nice to have a FAQ pinned about IDP. Any info to clear up any of these particular questions is appreciated.

Q1: For those with a 5 year Thai DL, in what cases is an international driving permit required? When not required are there cases it is recommended? In my case, I wish to drive in the US where I am a citizen but no longer have a DL there.

Q2: An IDP is a translation of the DL. A Thai 5 year DL and has 2 sections on the front. The top is in Thai and the bottom is the exact same thing in English. Does this mean an IDP is not needed when driving in USA since the translation is on the license itself?

Q3: Where can one apply for an IDP (e.g. any DMV or is it limited to Bangkok / select locations)?

Q4: What things (documents, pictures, etc) are necessary to bring when applying?

You can get the IDP at your local Transportation Department. You do need the 5 year license, which you have.

Better to get it, the USA is bound to accept an IDP, whereas it is not bound to accept national drivers licenses from other countries, even if they are in English!

No problem driving in your home country using an IDP, as long as the IDP is not issued in your home country. Per definition IDP's are accepted in all countries (who signed the IDP agreement), apart from the country which issued your IDP. Hence a Thai IDP is not to be used in Thailand (e.g. when you've lost you national one).

I have been through the archives but am not totally clear. Would be nice to have a FAQ pinned about IDP. Any info to clear up any of these particular questions is appreciated.

Q1: For those with a 5 year Thai DL, in what cases is an international driving permit required? When not required are there cases it is recommended? In my case, I wish to drive in the US where I am a citizen but no longer have a DL there.

Q2: An IDP is a translation of the DL. A Thai 5 year DL and has 2 sections on the front. The top is in Thai and the bottom is the exact same thing in English. Does this mean an IDP is not needed when driving in USA since the translation is on the license itself?

Q3: Where can one apply for an IDP (e.g. any DMV or is it limited to Bangkok / select locations)?

Q4: What things (documents, pictures, etc) are necessary to bring when applying?

Go and get your self an IDL based on your 5 year Thai DL, and you will have no problems driving in the US.

Need photos, your current Thai 5 year DL and that should be it apart from paying the fee, as far as I know the only place that issues them is BKK...

When driving in another country on your DL an IDL is always preferable to have on you...you want to drive in the US on a Thai DL, get the IDL

for IDP you need to apply when you make the thai DP, they will charge you another 100 bath or somethin.

using IDP in your native country is not allowed i guess, i dont know for sure.

No you dont need to apply for the IDP when you "make" your Thai DL, its a separate document and in most countries they are only valid for 12 months at a time any way, and almost certainly costs more than THB 100.00 to get a IDL based on your Thai DL.

Of course you can drive in your native country on an IDL provided the driving license the IDL is based on is a foreign license, nationality doesnt have anything to do with it...

You have to bear in mind all a IDL is, is a "legalised" translation of your valid driver license..carrying only a IDL without your original DL as an "attachment" is not "legal" either...

If you enter - [email protected] and search then click onto International Drivers License - International Drivers Document, it will tell you how you can get a 10 or 20 year International driving license.

:o:D

Edited by davyboy

You can get the IDP at your local Transportation Department. You do need the 5 year license, which you have.

<snip>

My friend's wife just had to go to Bangkok to get hers as they wouldn't issue it in Pattaya.

FYI: I just got my 5 year license at Talling Chan (Bkk) which is a big and efficient office, but they wouldn't do the IDP. They told me that I must go to the Mo Chit office. I haven't been there yet.

Go and get your self an IDL based on your 5 year Thai DL, and you will have no problems driving in the US.

Need photos, your current Thai 5 year DL and that should be it apart from paying the fee, as far as I know the only place that issues them is BKK...

When driving in another country on your DL an IDL is always preferable to have on you...you want to drive in the US on a Thai DL, get the IDL

I'm also gonna take my passport, proof of address and work permit - all with signed copies, just in case... (to the Mo Chit office)

Edited by jasreeve17

If you enter - [email protected] and search then click onto International Drivers License - International Drivers Document, it will tell you how you can get a 10 or 20 year International driving license.

:D:D

and you can do it all on line!! :o

As long as you dont mind a worthless piece of paper..

Google IDL scam.. then go get yourself a real legal IDP

and it's all FAKE!

The new thai drivers licenses are in thai AND english. You don't have to wait for renewal time

to get yours changed to one of the new ones.

Also see..........Drive in the U.S. on foreign DL

U.S. gov site only recommends IDP IF your dl does not have english. the new dl in thailand do. USAGOV

Also, if you are from the U.S. and your dl has expired, easy to get it renewed.

Beachbunny

Edited by Beachbunny

Thanks LivinLOS and Naam, I didn't know it was a scam, I just saw the advert in the Bangkok Post!

:D

Can either of you or anyone tell me how long a legal IDP lasts?

12 months. Cost is 505 baht. Yes, 505. (Well it has been for the past 2 years as of about 2 months ago when I got my newest one).

Also, about the IDP SCAM websites.... why does ThaiVisa have a banner advertising one of these sites? Is it legit? (I can't imagine it could be, as there is only one legal way to get an IDP)..... Has anybody ever clicked on it, and if it is a SCAM, why is TV pushing it? hmm...

Thanks LivinLOS and Naam, I didn't know it was a scam, I just saw the advert in the Bangkok Post!

:D

Can either of you or anyone tell me how long a legal IDP lasts?

12 months. Cost is 505 baht. Yes, 505. (Well it has been for the past 2 years as of about 2 months ago when I got my newest one).

Also, about the IDP SCAM websites.... why does ThaiVisa have a banner advertising one of these sites? Is it legit? (I can't imagine it could be, as there is only one legal way to get an IDP)..... Has anybody ever clicked on it, and if it is a SCAM, why is TV pushing it? hmm...

Thanks jcon, yes a bit pricey but I suppose worth it when you need it. :o

Those ones are not permits, just a translation and not governmentally approved, you need to get the IDP from the Transportation Department in Thailand if you have a Thai license. The internet licenses such as the one they have a commercial on here in Thai visa has been warned about from most countries as fake. Look up any country and see who is allowed to issue them on behalf of the government, only these are actually fully legal to use.

I also had a 5yr license and no current one from the US. Found out that one needs the IDP to rent a car in the US. Some hokey rental locations may let you rent without one but be careful as if you get into an accident the insurance company may refuse to cover you.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Better to get it, the USA is bound to accept an IDP, whereas it is not bound to accept national drivers licenses from other countries, even if they are in English!

Completely untrue. USA does recognize the various international conventions on drivers licenses. I know because I was a cop for 7 years there, plus I just did a bunch of reasearch into this to see what changes have occurred since I left.

No problem driving in your home country using an IDP, as long as the IDP is not issued in your home country. Per definition IDP's are accepted in all countries (who signed the IDP agreement), apart from the country which issued your IDP. Hence a Thai IDP is not to be used in Thailand (e.g. when you've lost you national one).

This is a nonsensical statement because the country which issued your IDP will be the country which issued your actual drivers license, so there is no need for an IDP. An IDP only translates your license into other languages and does not permit you any additional rights already granted by the original license by international convention, it only makes things a little easier if dealing with authorities in another country. And again, IDL's don't exist, (i.e. they are a scam) and IDP's, IMO, are useless, particularly if the license is already in one of the ten typical languages the IDP translates it in to. Thai drivers licenses are already in English and Thai (At least mine is) and so an IDP is unessiary. I believe the Land Transport still does them because people ask for them and it makes them some money.

Real IDP link/info:http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpc.html

And good IDP FAQ: http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpfaqc.html?a...ed&secure=N

Mostly from the US perspective, but lots of info that pertains to the IDP in general.

Edit: After some searching, I did find a couple of notations stating that Hungary and Spain required translations of foreign drivers licenses, (IDP) but I also found just as many sources stating the opposite, that your DL from home will suffice. Also, Hertz China states that and IDP is needed to rent a car only if your DL isn't already in English of Chinese.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Completely untrue. USA does recognize the various international conventions on drivers licenses. I know because I was a cop for 7 years there, plus I just did a bunch of reasearch into this to see what changes have occurred since I left.

This is a nonsensical statement because the country which issued your IDP will be the country which issued your actual drivers license, so there is no need for an IDP. An IDP only translates your license into other languages and does not permit you any additional rights already granted by the original license by international convention, it only makes things a little easier if dealing with authorities in another country. And again, IDL's don't exist, (i.e. they are a scam) and IDP's, IMO, are useless, particularly if the license is already in one of the ten typical languages the IDP translates it in to. Thai drivers licenses are already in English and Thai (At least mine is) and so an IDP is unessiary. I believe the Land Transport still does them because people ask for them and it makes them some money.

Real IDP link/info:http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpc.html

And good IDP FAQ: http://www.aaa.com/vacation/idpfaqc.html?a...ed&secure=N

Mostly from the US perspective, but lots of info that pertains to the IDP in general.

Your maybe missing his point.. In this case 'home country' is where he comes from, is a citizen of, but probably no longer has a license from. In that case if hes going back there briefly and has a Thai license, he needs to get his Thai IDP to drive there if his home country license has expired.

I can also use this process, as a Brit that left there 16 odd years ago, I can use my Thai license with IDP in the UK, but could not use my Thai license alone there.

For me this is useful as these days bike licenses in the UK are non trivial to have, and I dont have a full UK motorcycle license but my IDP covers me todrive there based on my Thai motorcycle license for visits to the country as long as I am not a resident there.

Edit: After some searching, I did find a couple of notations stating that Hungary and Spain required translations of foreign drivers licenses, (IDP) but I also found just as many sources stating the opposite, that your DL from home will suffice. Also, Hertz China states that and IDP is needed to rent a car only if your DL isn't already in English of Chinese.

Many countries dont take the Thai license (the UK being an example) alone without the IDP. I know UK, I would presume most of EU, for a start until very recently they were unreadable in Thai script, thats certainly not going to work.

UK Gov

There is no mention of any requirement for an IDP in the UK.

1) thats a different answer than they gave me by phone when I called them about 18 months ago.

2) any of the old style licenses are purely Thai script, I even had to make a mark on one so I know the car from the bike. So a Thai script on a self laminated card, with no romanized letters on the whole thing would be a hard sell.

• 1 year later...

I also had a 5yr license and no current one from the US. Found out that one needs the IDP to rent a car in the US. Some hokey rental locations may let you rent without one but be careful as if you get into an accident the insurance company may refuse to cover you.

I have rented a car and driven in the US on my British licence and even been stopped by the police no problem.

Don't the new drivers license come in both Thai and English?

I also need to return to the USA but will only have a 1 year. Anyone know if it is in English and Thai if it's accepted to drive in USA?

Otherwise, I have to wait 1 YEAR to go home to see the family. My current license from USA just expired and they would not renew by mail. :angry:

Don't the new drivers license come in both Thai and English?

I also need to return to the USA but will only have a 1 year. Anyone know if it is in English and Thai if it's accepted to drive in USA?

Otherwise, I have to wait 1 YEAR to go home to see the family. My current license from USA just expired and they would not renew by mail. :angry:

The Thai 5-year is in English and Thai - it's NOT valid in the USA unless you have the accompanying IDP. The Thai 5-year license is valid in all 10 ASEAN countries.

I just picked up a new one in BKK before I came to the US for a visit (I had lost my previous Thai license - actually, no I didn't, I just gave it to the cop when he gave me a ticket some time ago - had another cop pick it up later so I have 2 just in case I need to do the same thing again). Cost = 120 baht (or 140, I can't remember but it's cheap).

IDP you just get after you have your Thai license (I think you have to have the 5-year but I'm not sure). Cost for the IDP is 505 Baht. Took me 10 minutes to get both at the Thai-DMV which is near Saphan Kwai, Bangkok. You can access it from Vipawadee at the after the Suttisan intersection (back entrance) or from Pahonyothin right after the Mor Chit BTS stop going toward Sapan Kwai. IDP is valid for 1 year from date of issue and must be accompanied with the Thai license for it to be valid. It's valid in around 120 countries (but not the UAE, for some reason - you can drive in Somalia, but not the UAE!!!)

UK Gov

There is no mention of any requirement for an IDP in the UK.

from uk gov web site for visitors to UK - Driving licences issued in any other country excluding eu and british isles inc, jersey isle of man etc.

* you can drive any small vehicle eg cars and or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence, for a period of 12 months from the date that you last entered the country, as long as it remains full and valid

* you can only drive larger vehicles eg lorries and buses, shown on your licence, that have been registered outside of GB which you have driven into the country

Edited by steve187