Cruise Control Aversion By Thai-producers: Why?

Sam Drucker

Anybody know why Cruise Control seems to be a feature that is unavailable on most Thai-produced cars? Take the Honda Jazz for instance: In other markets it (or it's Honda Fit counterpart) are sold with Cruise Control standard. On the Thai version, Cruise Control is unavailable in any version.

Chevrolet makes it unavailable on all models except their top of the line Captiva.

Is Cruise Control available on these models via other means (like aftermarket installation?) If so, is it any good? Does the installation look neat and clean?

I think the manufacturers know their market well.... would you trust a Thai with cruise control???? :o

Imported cars have cruise control. As useless as some people may think it is in Thailand, it's not bad on certain stretches of road...

To answer question about installation... I'm sure they can install it for you, it's just a matter of cost I would think, because the parts are there... and I don't think CC has anything to do with the main ECU or other electrics of the car, rather it's an accessory function independent of the other electrics (besides throttle control, maybe?), so maybe it's possible. I would bet that it would be rather expensive, though, if not just for the fact that nobody really does it (I say this because I asked the Mitsubishi Dealer to install the same perimeter-screening system from the Space Wagon into my Triton, and they just gave me confused looks... I would think it couldn't be that difficult, because those sensor systems are completely independent... in the end, I just resort to stupidly backing into things and replacing my tailgate every few months :D

Anybody know why Cruise Control seems to be a feature that is unavailable on most Thai-produced cars? Take the Honda Jazz for instance: In other markets it (or it's Honda Fit counterpart) are sold with Cruise Control standard. On the Thai version, Cruise Control is unavailable in any version.

Chevrolet makes it unavailable on all models except their top of the line Captiva.

Is Cruise Control available on these models via other means (like aftermarket installation?) If so, is it any good? Does the installation look neat and clean?

Not being ficious but I don't believe Thai drivers with Auto Pilot would be a good combination! :o

I have had cruise control on my last two cars (my current is the Captiva) but I never use it. The way the locals drive here makes its almost impossible to maintain a constant speed for more than a few minutes seconds.

Same here - last 3 years and never use it

I had cruise control on a grand cherokee. Apart from trying it out when i bought the car i never used it again. I drive too much like the Thais now to even consider using it myself. I dread to think of some of these fast pickups with cruise set to 140km/hour careering down the highways. Safer to ban them completely

I had cruise control on a grand cherokee. Apart from trying it out when i bought the car i never used it again. I drive too much like the Thais now to even consider using it myself. I dread to think of some of these fast pickups with cruise set to 140km/hour careering down the highways. Safer to ban them completely

Cruise Control (Auto Pilot) + Thai = Set Controls and Go To Sleep :o

I have had cruise control on my last two cars (my current is the Captiva) but I never use it. The way the locals drive here makes its almost impossible to maintain a constant speed for more than a few minutes seconds.

Au Contrair ( or something to that effect ).

when ever i reach >38 km/h ( which min setting ), i use it instead of my gas pedal ( accelerator ). Feet off the pedals........ and off i go. I use the OverDrive button alot to slow down a little - like an exhaust brake........ ( flick lever to disenguage c.control, and then hit OD button, or pull gear lever back from D to 2 to slow some what if OD cannot be used (i.e. too slow )

In the Camry its where i hold the wheel anyway, so its so easy to just give it a flick with a finger.

Except Bumper to bumper traffic, i use it all the times. i.e. Going up Ratchada for example, u usually do between

would love to migrate the switch to the head of my gear stick.

I realize i am one of the few who use it contstantly - became a habit.

With the C.Control and the OD/Gear lever - touch the pedals infrequent....

Would love a joy stick steering for long haul trips........

Edited by skippybangkok

My new CRV has cruise control as standard and I tried it on the Mitrapharb Highway coming south from Udon. Nope... not practical on Thai provincial highways with trucks that tend to stick in the right lane and motorcycles coming at you on both left and right hard shoulders. I think the cruise control was invented and primarily perfected for use on the US Freeways which were so named as you could freely and legally pass slower traffic on either side thus maintaining a near constant speed. In countries where the law says that slower traffic must keep to certain lanes like in Europe, the system works well until you get into heavier traffic.

IMHO, In Thailand where there are poorly enforced laws on passing lanes and a general lack of responsibility behind the wheel/handlebars, the cruise control is as much use as tits on a boar pig, chocolate fireguard, etc..

Cruise Control -- Thailand -- What next? Caravans and Trailers!

I wouldn't be game enough to use it out here in the sticks my self and to think that some pissed up Thai was heading for me in Cruise Control is beyond thinking about.