Similans Tourists See Boat People Mistreated

saneroad

It's refreshing to see a government admit its mistakes and be willing to rectify a situation as well as hold those responsible people accountable.

Agreed. Better still when/if the words are actually translated into appropriate actions. We'll see.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk talk talk . . . . . and no action lah . . . . lol

THere may be some action coming: The Nation's scathing report on ISOC- (see General Topics- apparantly the report wasn't 'newsworthy' enough to warrant a place in News Clippings)- may indicate that Abhisit is preparting to clip its wings- and the Nation is doing the preparatory PR work by exposing ISOC for the shadowy anachronism that it is.

On the Bangkok Post this morning...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/9873...gya-accusations

Navy chief rejects Rohingya accusations

The navy has rejected foreign media reports that sailors beat about 100 Rohingya asylum seekers and set them adrift in a simple boat in the Andaman sea. Navy chief Khamthon Phumhiran dismissed a report on the BBC news service in which the Rohingyas accused the navy of towing them out to sea in boats with no engines and no food.

The report said the comments came from survivors who managed to drift to Indonesia and the Andaman islands.

On Thursday, the South China Morning Post ran a front-page story saying dozens of refugees were detained and beaten on an Andaman island in full view of foreign holidaymakers. It was unclear when the incident took place.

Adm Khamthon refused to accept the reports. He insisted the minority Burmese Rohingyas were not set adrift.

Under no circumstances, he stressed, would the navy do anything so inhumane. Even in a state of war and enemy fighters were seen drifting in the sea, the navy would rescue them in keeping with humanitarian principles.

A picture on the BBC website shows scores of Rohingyas lying face down on a beach on Koh Sai Daeng island off Ranong province.

Adm Khamthon said the picture gave the wrong impression. The asylum seekers were made to lie down on the sand as a precaution to prevent them causing harm to security personnel who were outnumbered. There were about 20 navy personnel at the scene.

He said the asylum seekers were later given shelter, food and water. ''But these pictures obviously did not come up in the media coverage,'' he said.

Nice work Admiral.

Full screen of irrelevant material, cross referencing to unrelated threads, outrage over Hitler remarks, incomprehensible input on the actual issue, your post has it all.

Only the sense is missing, but that's typical of Internet groupies, they are here to make noise and contribute kilobytes.

>>>

If not for 500 dead this story would have never ever made it to any Western publication, and now it turns out it was all lies. Everyone had great fun at Thailand's expense, now over to Australian bush fires.

Armchair human rights warriors, their pencil is their sword!

I am always stunned how hastily and willingly people joined the prejudicial crowd and howled: "Justice, Justice, Justice!"

On a story and a couple if pictures, without any hard evidence!

When gov'ts are busy covering up information, denying access to the people involved, then the outcome is going to be some erroneous stories.

And now we also know that the gov't had good reasons to be covering things up.

Yes, except these days their sword is a keyboard.

How do they feel about torturing their own mouse?

I think the collection of headlines from the first pages of this thread should be reposted here:

Thais 'leave boat people to die'

Thailand's deadly treatment of migrants

Hundreds dead, set adrift by Thais

Thailand Is Accused of Rejecting Migrants

"....At least 300 people are reported to be missing at sea."

Abandoned at Sea: The Sad Plight of the Rohingya

"...More than 300 people who were with Muzaffar are missing; they are all believed to be dead." at the end of the second paragraph.

That's how Western media covered the subject, I think I omitted only one Australian story that didn't have "hundreds dead" in it.

I'll remember it for the next time people refer to BBC as a source of correct and truthful information and analysis.

When gov'ts are busy covering up information, denying access to the people involved, then the outcome is going to be some erroneous stories.

No excuse. BBC and other HAD access to the victims, they interviewed them in India and Indonesia, they still got it wrong.

They can't let the truth interfere with all the gore and outrage of the lies.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/14/pol...cs_30095697.php

After being in a state of denial for weeks, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has finally admitted to international media that Thai authorities pushed Rohingya boat people back out to sea and abandoned them.

In an exclusive interview with CNN on Thursday, Abhisit said there was reason to believe some incidents had occurred.

"It's not exactly clear whose handiwork it is," he said. "All the authorities say it's not their policy, though I have reason to believe some instances did happen, but if I can find evidence as to who exactly did this, I will certainly bring them to account."

.....The Navy arrested nearly 1,000 Rohingya boat people in December and January. They were shifted to the strategic military island of Koh Sai Daeng before being towed back out to sea and abandoned...."

"Though, ..but IF I CAN FIND evidence "

Is this the new ThaiSpeak?

Edited by HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor below the answer given by "plus"!

It's about blaming WRONGLY a whole country and it's government for something that never happened!

And now the PM is blamed for something he has become aware of when this "scandal" blew in his face!

"...More than 300 people who were with Muzaffar are missing; they are all believed to be dead." at the end of the second paragraph.

That's how Western media covered the subject, I think I omitted only one Australian story that didn't have "hundreds dead" in it.

I'll remember it for the next time people refer to BBC as a source of correct and truthful information and analysis.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/14/pol...cs_30095697.php

After being in a state of denial for weeks, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has finally admitted to international media that Thai authorities pushed Rohingya boat people back out to sea and abandoned them.

In an exclusive interview with CNN on Thursday, Abhisit said there was reason to believe some incidents had occurred.

"It's not exactly clear whose handiwork it is," he said. "All the authorities say it's not their policy, though I have reason to believe some instances did happen, but if I can find evidence as to who exactly did this, I will certainly bring them to account."

.....The Navy arrested nearly 1,000 Rohingya boat people in December and January. They were shifted to the strategic military island of Koh Sai Daeng before being towed back out to sea and abandoned...."

"Though, ..but IF I CAN FIND evidence "

Is this the new ThaiSpeak?

this is NOT "new Thai speak" it happened to be a new strategy, brought in by at least the Samak lead Government!

Because it was given into the hands of the ISOC it must be considered a "covert operation", as f.E. the CIA does...

So this Government has to clean up some mess left behind by previous Governments!

So keep on blaming....

Edited by Samuian

We're seeing the same tired arguments in this thread from the anti Abhisit brigade as used and countered in the Angelina Jolie one. How about merging the two? Or at least read them both before asking something that's already been covered on the other.

I know who I'm having difficulty believing... it's CNN... as they seem to have gotten their story wrong... again...

PM denies admitting Thai authorities set Rohingyas adrift to sea

BANGKOK, Feb 13 (TNA) - Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday dismissed foreign media report he admitted Thai authorities had towed Rohingya migrants out to sea.

Referring to his interview with CNN, Mr. Abhisit said he did not admit Thai authorities had set Rohingyas adrift to sea. The Thai premier clarified what he actually said was “I have reason to believe that some instances of this have happened.”

CNN asked if the Thai premier knew by whom these were orchestrated and Mr. Abhisit replied if he could have the evidence as to exactly it was, he would certainly bring them to account.

In an exclusive interview with CNN, Mr. Abhisit did not single out any Thai authorities pushed the migrants out to sea.

"I believe that at times when there is …a lot of pressure in terms of the numbers of these people coming in, there are attempts to try to let these people drift to other shores. The one thing that is clear is that when these procedures do occur it is done on the understanding that there is enough food and water supplied,” the prime minister said.

Abhisit ought to give a straight answer instead of winkling around.

Q

"Did the Thai authorities tow out a boatload of grubby refugees recently?"

A

"Yes and it won't happen again.

or

"No"

Its not a difficult question, even for an old Etonian. His answer doesn't have to be as convoluted as the one given above.

“I have reason to believe that some instances of this have happened.” .....that doesn't seem to be wishy washy though. It means that ....some instances have happened.

Edited by Journalist

I know who I'm having difficulty believing... it's CNN... as they seem to have gotten their story wrong... again...

The Thai premier clarified what he actually said was “I have reason to believe that some instances of this have happened.”

There is a difference between "reason to suspect"- and "reason to believe."

If he believes this happened- and he says he does - with reason, no less- then it would be nice if he were a bit more forthcoming and quit dancing - sooner or later- he's going to be asked what that reason is. And if there is none that he can produce- he may very well have made himself some powerful enemies.

Interesting that within a week of him making talking to Cnn, the Nation did a rather damning story on ISOC- and the Post published an interview with Manas. (Who claimed that absolutely nothing questionable happened)--- coincidence?

In his public utterances Abhisit has to shit or get off the pot. He is now the Bossman.

We all know he is an eloquent speaker, with a barrister's touch. But many hope he is going to bring more than semantics and rhetoric. Because he speaks such good English he will be held to higher standards by his foreign audiences.

If he's saying along the lines of ...'No I didn't say the incident took place, I said I had reason to believe that incidents like this took place'.....thats a disingenuous response.

His predecessors would have just lied..."Nope, it didn't happen", but his refutation is almost Clintonesque. I hope he doesn't go down that route.

In his public utterances Abhisit has to shit or get off the pot. He is now the Bossman.

We all know he is an eloquent speaker, with a barrister's touch. But many hope he is going to bring more than semantics and rhetoric. Because he speaks such good English he will be held to higher standards by his foreign audiences.

If he's saying along the lines of ...'No I didn't say the incident took place, I said I had reason to believe that incidents like this took place'.....thats a disingenuous response.

His predecessors would have just lied..."Nope, it didn't happen", but his refutation is almost Clintonesque. I hope he doesn't go down that route.

"I did not push that woman, Somchaia, out to sea..."

Remember- he is playing primarily for a local audience- and part of that audience consists of powerful elements over which he has zero control- (he wouldn't be the first sitting PM to attempt to blow his own self up in a botched self-assasination attempt) and he knows it- yet he has sent out a strong message here-- he has 'reason'- and reason means evidence- not gut feeling- or suspicion.

That message has been delivered through the international- and now, through the local media.

A very clever move.

I suspect that he knows exactly what he's doing - and begrudgingly- I give him a tip o' the hat. And a sidelong wink.

He needn't explain this - there is no law forcing him- but he has let it be known that he's not as naiive as he might appear-

He can't name anybody- even if he had the names- he is way down the totem pole- only PM- that's not much in this country- but he has the ability to sway public opinion-

I can't help but find it odd- the liberties that the English speaking media (and possibly the Thais) are taking with the military- a flippant back page article today in one of the papers came very close to suggesting that Gen Sonthi is- if not a crook- then ... demented. These papers know on what side their bread is buttered.

Edited by blaze

Yes, except these days their sword is a keyboard.

How do they feel about torturing their own mouse?

I think the collection of headlines from the first pages of this thread should be reposted here:

Wow - so good they named posted it twice......... first on the Angelina Jolie thread and now again here. :o

To save ThaiVisa members needless fatigue, I won't copy the above bad form by repeating my own post from the Jolie thread which deals with these headlines/articles at length ( http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thailand-War...50#entry2534722 ) other than to point out here that the one headline listed above (out of dozens) which does - wrongly - mention "hundreds dead" is the Sunday Post....... in Hong Kong. Western media? :D

And then Samuian rushes to quote it in full yet again to claim "It's about blaming WRONGLY a whole country and it's government for something that never happened!". Correct - it never happened (or hasn't been proved to have happened). More importantly, with the exception of the one sloppy Hong Kong Sunday Post headline - the widespread sensationalising/overblowing media coverage claiming it (as characterised by Plus/Samuian) never happened.

As for "I think I omitted only one Australian story that didn't have 'hundreds dead' in it"? This is, to put it very mildly, disingenuous. Where anything like "hundreds dead" appears (and it does not appear at all in many reports skipped by Plus), it is properly attributed to Rohingya people as "allegedly", "the tale.... if accurate" etc. More often it's "missing" or "unaccounted for"........ not dead.

Awkward things these facts - but necessary.

Remember- he is playing primarily for a local audience- and part of that audience consists of powerful elements over which he has zero control- (he wouldn't be the first sitting PM to attempt to blow his own self up in a botched self-assasination attempt) and he knows it- yet he has sent out a strong message here-- he has 'reason'- and reason means evidence- not gut feeling- or suspicion.

That message has been delivered through the international- and now, through the local media.

A very clever move.

I suspect that he knows exactly what he's doing - and begrudgingly- I give him a tip o' the hat. And a sidelong wink.

He needn't explain this - there is no law forcing him- but he has let it be known that he's not as naiive as he might appear-

He can't name anybody- even if he had the names- he is way down the totem pole- only PM- that's not much in this country- but he has the ability to sway public opinion-

I can't help but find it odd- the liberties that the English speaking media (and possibly the Thais) are taking with the military- a flippant back page article today in one of the papers came very close to suggesting that Gen Sonthi is- if not a crook- then ... demented. These papers know on what side their bread is buttered.

I think Blaze has the more accurate take on this situation. IMO Abhisit cannot move too far too quickly and needs to allow/get key supporting opinion to build further before he can take anything like firm action. Personally, I also think he wants to - but it's playing with fire.

As I've mentioned previously, it seems likely that a certain colonel (and possibly an equivalent-rank navy opposite number) will already be considering which "inactive post" he's got coming. That's the Thai way and SOP for most military........ "deputy heads will roll".

Col Manas Kongpan is the regional commander of the Internal Security Operations Command.

post-13-1234722094_thumb.jpg

He was one of three officers blamed by a Thai court for a massacre of Muslims five years ago. :D

Now he is being accused of ordering more than 1,000 Rohingya boat people fleeing Burma to be set adrift at sea over the past two months.

The Colonel however insists this is not true, and that although the boat people are not allowed into Thailand, their boats are repaired and they are given food and water before being sent out of Thai waters. ....SOOOOOOO....and

dismisses such accounts, saying they had never been confirmed. and

"They all come from journalists who have problems with Thailand and just want to slander us,"

He argued that no other country treated asylum-seekers as humanely as Thailand, and that if any proof of ill-treatment were presented to him, he would resign :o

Col Manas Kongpan is the regional commander of the Internal Security Operations Command.

post-13-1234722094_thumb.jpg

He was one of three officers blamed by a Thai court for a massacre of Muslims five years ago. :D

Now he is being accused of ordering more than 1,000 Rohingya boat people fleeing Burma to be set adrift at sea over the past two months.

The Colonel however insists this is not true, and that although the boat people are not allowed into Thailand, their boats are repaired and they are given food and water before being sent out of Thai waters. ....SOOOOOOO....and

dismisses such accounts, saying they had never been confirmed. and

"They all come from journalists who have problems with Thailand and just want to slander us,"

He argued that no other country treated asylum-seekers as humanely as Thailand, and that if any proof of ill-treatment were presented to him, he would resign :o

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7888909.stm :D

" They all come from journalists who have problems with Thailand and just want to slander us "

Blame it on the foreigners for reporting the facts. Probably be locking up more foreign journalists soon to teach them a lesson.

Sounds like the crap the PAD has been putting out.

Loads of anti foreigner sentiment out there these days.

I guess we should all start behaving like good little north koreans.

Edited by UncleFrank

the one headline listed above (out of dozens) which does - wrongly - mention "hundreds dead" is the Sunday Post....... in Hong Kong.

Ok, my mistake, didn't read past Sunday Post.

As if it changes all the other headlines or the fact that Western media played the hundreds dead issue to the tilt.

Without dead there would be no story.

So who do we believe? Abhisit Vejajiva, who says the incident did happen, and Plus, who says it didn't ?

I'm talking about "hundreds of people eaten by sharks" crap, not the rest. Roughing them up and loading them on boats without engines sounds about right. They could have died and Thais were certainly putting their lives at risk but got off lucky, apart from a stick from the West, and people on the ground who took that decision don't really care about BBC, do they?

People who do care might change the policy for the future, which is a good thing, right?

the one headline listed above (out of dozens) which does - wrongly - mention "hundreds dead" is the Sunday Post....... in Hong Kong.

Ok, my mistake, didn't read past Sunday Post.

As if it changes all the other headlines or the fact that Western media played the hundreds dead issue to the tilt.

Without dead there would be no story.

So who do we believe? Abhisit Vejajiva, who says the incident did happen, and Plus, who says it didn't ?

I'm talking about "hundreds of people eaten by sharks" crap, not the rest. Roughing them up and loading them on boats without engines sounds about right. They could have died and Thais were certainly putting their lives at risk but got off lucky, apart from a stick from the West, and people on the ground who took that decision don't really care about BBC, do they?

People who do care might change the policy for the future, which is a good thing, right?

First the splatter, now the splutter...........

"As if it changes all the the other headlines". Ermmmm - which "all the other headlines"? The other four listed by Plus? Anything in those that doesn't stand up to scrutiny or doesn't get properly handled in the body of the articles themselves? Not to mention now largely conceded by the PM himself in the CNN interview (with the later qualification that it's not identifiable "Thai authorities" who did it): "It's not exactly clear whose handiwork it is," he said. "All the authorities say it's not their policy, though I have reason to believe some instances did happen, but if I can find evidence as to who exactly did this, I will certainly bring them to account." (thanks to Sriracha John for posting the TNA release containing the PM's single qualification of what CNN reported). So, he's not talking about "if" it happened ("reason to believe..... " etc) - but about "who" did it.

Maybe it's headlines/articles yet to be discovered? By Plus' account, there must be so many - where are they?

"They [bBC et al] can't let the truth interfere with all the gore and outrage of the lies." Which "gore" - where? Does it really need saying yet again that these articles properly attribute quotes to Rohingya and qualify them with terms like "allegedly", "the tale.... if accurate" etc etc.............. ? Even the quotes themselves are singularly lacking in "gore".

Perhaps he's just a tad confused - mixing up the media coverage of Rohingya with Robert Shaw's famous "Indianapolis" scene from "Jaws". But, ermmm....... that's a 1975 movie. Very good, though. Here it is (starts 3 mins into the clip):

Haven't seen anything like that in the media coverage - but then, neither do I think the Andaman Sea is on a par with the boating lake in Lumphini Park.............

On a more positive note - yes, I agree that it would be a "good thing" if "People who do care might change the policy for the future"......... difficult and complex as the Rohingya migrant/refugee issue is for Thailand and other states in the region to deal with. Facing facts, as always IMO, is a good start.

Edited by Steve2UK

BANGKOK, Feb 13 (TNA) - Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Friday dismissed foreign media report he admitted Thai authorities had towed Rohingya migrants out to sea.

Referring to his interview with CNN, Mr. Abhisit said he did not admit Thai authorities had set Rohingyas adrift to sea. The Thai premier clarified what he actually said was "I have reason to believe that some instances of this have happened."

CNN asked if the Thai premier knew by whom these were orchestrated and Mr. Abhisit replied if he could have the evidence as to exactly it was, he would certainly bring them to account.

In an exclusive interview with CNN, Mr. Abhisit did not single out any Thai authorities pushed the migrants out to sea.

"I believe that at times when there is …a lot of pressure in terms of the numbers of these people coming in, there are attempts to try to let these people drift to other shores. The one thing that is clear is that when these procedures do occur it is done on the understanding that there is enough food and water supplied," the prime minister said.

If the poster is going to abridge the item quoted, it's considered proper to say so and/or, at least, provide a link.

Here is the rest of the item and a link:

"Mr. Abhisit also said he regretted 'any losses' which might have occurred from the migrants' ordeals, but said he was doing the best he could to improve the situation.

The plight of Rohingya boat people became an issue after some of hundreds of Rohingya rescued in Indian and Indonesian waters in recent weeks said they were beaten by the Thai military before being towed out to sea with few supplies. Some of them were reportedly missing.

The Thai military, however, denied the allegation".

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=8592&t=2

As I read it, the PM is clarifying just one aspect of his CNN interview as reported - i.e. "he did not admit Thai authorities had set Rohingyas adrift to sea. The Thai premier clarified what he actually said was 'I have reason to believe that some instances of this have happened.' [my emphasis]. Am I missing something?

Given that "Thai authorities" is capable of more than one interpretation, I certainly think it would have been better for CNN to have avoided the term and to have used another less ambiguous one. I think most of us would regard a ministry or a provincial governor or a top general as clearly an "authority" - but what about, say, an "ordinary" general or a colonel who is an ISOC Regional Commander? Do either of those levels constitute an "authority" by any reasonable definition? Perhaps someone more conversant with Thai terms than I am could comment on whether there is a clearer distinction in Thai language than there is in English.

BTW, you say "CNN... gotten their story wrong... again". Do you mean this CNN story's wrong in other ways - or some other(s)?

[Edit to fix link]

Edited by Steve2UK

Healines are headlines. They don't have quantifiers like "if correct" or "allegedly". They are pretty shocking: Thais 'leave boat people to die', Thailand's deadly treatment of migrants, Hundreds dead, set adrift by Thais.

I'm not going to waste time arguing that they do not contain referrals to dead people, as it is bloody obvious.

Healines are headlines. They don't have quantifiers like "if correct" or "allegedly". They are pretty shocking: Thais 'leave boat people to die', Thailand's deadly treatment of migrants, Hundreds dead, set adrift by Thais.

I'm not going to waste time arguing that they do not contain referrals to dead people, as it is bloody obvious.

Makes you wonder if he ever actually reads what others post. All the stuff repeated yet again here is dealt with earlier and on the Jolie thread - case by case. I post here to explore issues and not to feed one member's need for arguing the toss.

Speaking of which - a certain Monty Python sketch springs to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

Enjoy. :o

I'm not going to waste time on reading explanation how deaths mentioned in headlines were not about dead people and how the media didn't intend to stress death in these stories.

I didn't write them, I didn't even post them, I took them off others posts earlier in this thread.

You can go search bbc website for Thai stories and all articles related to Rohingyas talk about hundreds of deaths. One even mentions 500 dead.

"Only" the first two had death in the headlines, though, as if it's any excuse.

That's a good example of sensationalism and gross misrepresentation of reality.