Puea Thai Party May Face Dissolution

ozzieman05

^Yes, lets hope Abhisit can dictate his own agenda. He needs to deal with the economy as a priority as Thailand is not immune from the global credit crisis, and whilst he needs to be mindful of Thaksin's everlasting aspirations, he may feel that tolerating a castrated PTP in opposition is expedient for him right now.

Indeed especially as they are busy splitting themselves up and cant even choose a leader probably partly out of fear that will rip the main factions apart.

The economy and government response is the issue of this year. Look at how everything Abhisit announces is about that: handounts, free this and that, job creation. No doubt the rural areas will get some soon. The government know the economy is going to go bad and messy and they are going to do their best to not go down with it.

I guess what remains of PTP when their spat is over plus whatever bit of the red side control DTV will do well to concentrate on economy rather than fixating on politcal issues which will become yesterdays new fairly quickly if people start suffering.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taksin is a great businessman, but his time in politics might just be over... hopefully.

I used to think that, but now that I know he started life a policeman, married into an influential family, and suddenly sky rocketed into financial success ... I have to wonder if it was due to his business acumen ... or corruption .... :o

Could it be that time is the greatest enemy to those "would be" dictators?? Taksin, Bush W, Cheney and their ilk seem to have had their commerupance over time, maybe, just maybe the penny will drop on poor delusional Khun Taksin that he is just pouring good money after bad and the people he is trying to control are just as bent as he is (and ripping him off)(mug)?? :D

I used to think that, but now that I know he started life a policeman, married into an influential family, and suddenly sky rocketed into financial success ... I have to wonder if it was due to his business acumen ... or corruption .... :o

Thaksin has never sought to hide that he owes his initial success and breakthough to "Big Jod" (Yai Jod was of General rank I recall) amenably signing off on an extremely large IT procurement. And that deal was structured in the usual Thai way.

This is a prove how desperate Thaksin is. He is a lost case and he know it, his era is over and hes out of the game for good. In short bye bye billions of Baht, no decent country to run to, coming back no option. Poor man you should have know that once the Thai juridical system comes in action its crushes people completely. Nobody will miss you Khun Thaksin, you are forgotten already, but you not seems to realise it yet. So keep quit and join the ranks of the other forgotten dictators in exile.

Also its a prove that Phuea Thai MP's are cronies of Thaksin, without him they are nothing, just a bunch of losers.

Cannot understand what you have put down?!?!

Thaskin a dictator :o

Unless I am mistaken, was he not democratically elected twice.

First Thai PM to serve a full term.

Deposed by a military Coup-de-tat.

Dictator/s usually seize power with help from the military?

When I am up at the GF parents farm north of Korat, Thaskin is spoken of highly.

Me, no opinion since back in the UK we have ex PM's and cabinet ministers who are millionaires, yet were on the public payroll all their lifes. i.e. Late Ted Heath, John Major, Jim Callaghan.

Pot calling the kettle black springs to mind? If your another Nationality? Let me know, sure I can find public servants just as bad.

From the ever helpful wiki:

In modern usage, the term "dictator" is generally used to describe a leader who holds and/or abuses an extraordinary amount of personal power, especially the power to make laws without effective restraint by a legislative assembly. Dictatorships are often characterized by some of the following traits: suspension of elections and of civil liberties; proclamation of a state of emergency; rule by decree; repression of political opponents without abiding by rule of law procedures; these include single-party state, and cult of personality.

Thaksin didn't go as far as to suspend elections and declare state of emergency, it wasn't necessary to go on with all his other dictator things.

From the ever helpful wiki:

In modern usage, the term "dictator" is generally used to describe a leader who holds and/or abuses an extraordinary amount of personal power, especially the power to make laws without effective restraint by a legislative assembly. Dictatorships are often characterized by some of the following traits: suspension of elections and of civil liberties; proclamation of a state of emergency; rule by decree; repression of political opponents without abiding by rule of law procedures; these include single-party state, and cult of personality.

Thaksin didn't go as far as to suspend elections and declare state of emergency, it wasn't necessary to go on with all his other dictator things.

Wikipedia has modern usage. Check Oxford dictionary.

It is agreed that Hitler and Stalin were dictators.

We have the old former Eastern bloc countries, Romania springs to mind whose leaders make Thaskin out to be a bleeding heart liberal.

I am not for or against Thaskin. Just cannot understand why non-Thais have such strong views on a "Democratically" elected former PM of this country, when they themselves are only guests/long stay (holidaymakers) on a visa.

Do they not:

1) Believe in Democracy, one man one vote?

2) Believe that governing a country should be left to 'elected' individuals.

3) Believe that all sections of Thai society are entitled to a voice.

Maybe I am coming across as "Devils Advocate". If so apologies, not intended. Only ever become agitated with politicians in my own country or those of other countries doing harm to MY country?

Rant over, orange box smashed and lighting the BBQ

Edited by tmd5855

tmd5855>> You seem confused. Just because people don't like Thaksin doesn't mean the are in favor of or against your list. It's a straw man attack. You aren't playing devils advocate, you are playing Sunrise07 etc. And your opinion that many of us are 'only guests/long stay (holidaymakers) on a visa' [sic] and therefor shouldn't have an opinion on matters is just sad.

Edited by TAWP

tmd5855>> You seem confused. Just because people don't like Thaksin doesn't mean the are in favor of or against your list. It's a straw man attack. You aren't playing devils advocate, you are playing Sunrise07 etc. And your opinion that many of us are 'only guests/long stay (holidaymakers) on a visa' [sic] and therefor shouldn't have an opinion on matters is just sad.

If I was confused would have had similar spelling/grammar mistakes as above :D

In all seriousiness cannot quite get my head around your second sentence. No need to clarify please, let me stay confused as you state

Playing Sunrise07. Hope you do not mean in the Biblical sense :D . Do not even know the person you refer to, methinks he/she wil be just as knowledgeable of me. Yet you seem to know better :o

We are all guests, live here under the whim of the Thai goverment unless your an elite (Which can be revoked).

Nowhere in my post do I infer that Guests should not have an opinion on Thai matters.

More, why they get so heated, that when someone, not of the same hue as them asks "why" they are called sad.

You demonstrate the ability to reinforce same reasons, why I asked about the subject in the first place.

For that I thank you, you have helped free me from confusion, so as to see and understand 'intolerance' a little more.

Edited by tmd5855

Wikipedia has modern usage

What's wrong with modern usage?

It covers a bit more ground than "one man one vote".

As for democracy - here's an old article from the days when Thaksin's position wasn't under threat:

PM'S DECLARATION:'Democracy is not my goal'

Thaksin suggests he'll block any move for amendments to rein in his power

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra yesterday revealed for the first time the value he places on democracy, saying it was not the foremost thing Thailand needed.

In a candid statement made ominous by its release on Constitution Day, Thaksin said that as long as the country could progress and the people were happy, he was not concerned about the means used.

"Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it's not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned," he said. "Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress."

In a comment to counter calls for constitutional amend- ments that would support the sputtering checks-and-balances mechanism, the prime minister hinted that he would block the campaign to amend the charter, an issue that could cause a fall-out between him and his Chat Thai Party allies.

"Democracy is a vehicle," Thaksin said. "We can't drive a Rolls-Royce to a rural village and solve people's problems. A pickup truck or good off-road car will do. We just need to think carefully and make the right choices."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thaksin-demo...3780#entry33780

If you lived here through those days, when thousands of people were slaughtered in the streets in the name of "drug war" and dozens of journalists were ordered to be secretly investigated by the most powerful Thai agency, you'd probably have a different opinion of Thaksin.