La Boulange - French Bakery

JimmyTheMook

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a 'Subway' sandwich is 69 baht for a small one and they have lots of filling.

Subway is the same as eating at McDonald's.

We're talking real food here !!!

excellent flame, I could not have done that better :o

However, the baguette was rock hard (tore the roof of my mouth to shreds) and I'm not a big fan of that processed cheese. Could've just been a bad batch of bread but on first impressions I won't be rushing back.

Try yank toast next time, you just experienced crispness :D

Well with this place closing at 4.30pm, its a little early for me so i go directly opposite (a bit later on) and get Beef Steak, French Fries with Salad freshly cooked for 79 bt - its delicious - the place is a motorcycle shop in the day and then at night time its Noodles and Steak. Directly opposite the Carwash - Yummy....

sandwiches at Le Baguette in front of the Woodlands Resort more than this place

Where is Woodlands? I am on the darkside. How would I get there?

Le Baguette might be a bit more price ybut they are GOOOOOD!!!

On Pattaya Naklua Road about 100 metres from Dolphin roundabout on the left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think a 'Subway' sandwich is 69 baht for a small one and they have lots of filling.

Agreed - Subway is crap dressed up as crab.

Agreed - Subway is crap dressed up as crab.

I suggest that anyone who slags of Subway sandwiches is a high-street-chain snob of the highest order. The bread that they use is fresh and often baked on the premises.

The main fillings whether, chicken, turkey, beef, cheese or tuna are always of a high standard.

The salad part of the sandwich is always fresh and not shrivelled up or 'old'.

The selection of dressings are near perfect, different mustards etc.

Hygiene levels are visibly high. (They prepare the sandwich in clear view with plastic gloves).

Go back now to the OP's photographs: Processed cheese squares, fresh ham? I am sure the bread is fresh and high standard. But I would opt for a Subway sandwich every time.

To the above posters who insist on slagging off Subway, tell me why! Educate me!

1. Bad bread. Subway bread is terrible, even though they make it themselves.

2. Cheap fillings. What they call ham and salami, I call spam.

Ok, I'm a bit over the top here on the fillings, but the fact is their bread is soft mushy garbage.

that is a subway franchise owner? How can anyone post about subway in this thread?

Now I have to get to the place mentioned and photo'd by the OP.

That baggette place by Woodlands is maybe the best in town. I got a couple bags of stuff

including the best bread and cressont rolls. I could not find a sandwich like

in the picture above. Thanks for telling me about both of these places !

LMFHO

JmmyTheMook, raro, Tyke, Jimmyd, newname...............

All quick to ridicule Subway, but unable to provide any reasoned argument against their produce.

For the record, I am in no way connected with Subway sandwich stores, I just happen to think that they offer reasonably priced, fine quality produce and I hate to see narrow-minded so called experts slag-off a well known chain, due to snobbery and ill-founded prejudice.

Either put-up or shut up. if you don't like their produce:Fine.

If you dismiss it as rubbish or sub-standard tell me why.

I am particularly disappointed with raro's comments: He/She should know better.

:o

If you can't tell that Subway's fillings are cheap just by looking at them or that their bread is not great just by tasting it, then you are a target customer. To people with higher standards for food, they know Subway is just very cheap low quality fast food, and that their fillings here are lower quality than in the US, and they aren't great there either!

If you can't tell that Subway's fillings are cheap just by looking at them or that their bread is not great just by tasting it, then you are a target customer. To people with higher standards for food, they know Subway is just very cheap low quality fast food, and that their fillings here are lower quality than in the US, and they aren't great there either!

Step by step. Bread.

What is wrong with their freshly baked bread? Often baked on the premises, it is sold alone in its own right. Usually five different types. Do you really find their bread that offensive? I would struggle to find better bread in Pattaya.

Their fillings: They are fresh. A regular turnover of sandwiches sold makes it so. Can you show me better roast beef, roast chicken or better tuna in Pattaya? I doubt it.

Again, I suggest that food critics on this forum are conceited snobs. I bet blindfolded, you would fail a challenge: Subway vs. Snobby French-named place.

Positive feedback appreciated.

Its cool if you like Subway. Some do, some don't. In the US I considered it desperation food on par with McDonalds. In other words if you were on a road trip and starving and there was nothing else at the rest stop, then do a Subway, it is a kind of food.

Do they do a boudin blanc sandwich?

Boudin Blanc is a sausage mixed with milk... and dunno...many ingredients...

Boudin Blanc sandwich..? How it will look like? :o

La Boulange in Bangkok had Boudin Noir (Black Pudding) for breakfast.....

But now, none.... why not?

That pretty much sums it up nicely.

They appeal to different markets, one is like eating a McDonald's type of dogfood vs. actual human food.

Life often presents little choices like these to us.....

LMFHO

JmmyTheMook, raro, Tyke, Jimmyd, newname...............

All quick to ridicule Subway, but unable to provide any reasoned argument against their produce.

I am particularly disappointed with raro's comments: He/She should know better.

:o

Although Jingthing worded it perfectly, I'd like to comment as well since you mentioned me.

The McDonalds/Subway comparison is not far fetched, both are American franchise chains and as a general rule, with mass production quality goes down.

Yes, the bread is made fresh in the shop. Same at La Boulange and at the café at Woodlands. So here all three shops are on par.

Now we add TASTE to the equation, and then Subway is loosing out. The bread is not crisp whatsoever and they have (if I remember well) nothing but mayonnaise-based sauces on offer. I do not eat mayonnaise unless it is freshly made and try to avoid what I call "factory food" wherever I can.

Call me a food snob, but I am quite picky of what I ingest and in my kitchen you won't find any cans, ketchup or other ready-made stuff. Only fresh ingredients and soup is made from bones, not soup cubes!

Hope that explains it. :D

I would almost agree about Subway, it is obviously cheap ingredients in most cases, however in a comparison with La Boulange, I would say it is a hard choice to make. La Boulange is over-priced and not that good. The ingredients are usually pretty crap too, though their chicken is better.

La Boulange = Western prices for less than western quality.

Subway = Slightly less than western prices (of Subway) for similar quality (as western Subway)

I'm usually less disappointed with a Subway, but I have lower expectations...

Thanks Mook....was in there 2 times last week for the ham and cheese sandwich.....very tough to beat that sandwich for 65 baht.....excellent bread....big sandwich and a bargain at that price. Do you know if they offer any other sandwiches there?

I think that is it in the sandwich department.

Try some of the pastries as they are outstanding as well.

The baguettes are probably about as good as you can find in Thailand.

La Boulange first opened in Bangkok about 10 years ago on Soi Convent. The original shop is still there and open for breakfast through to dinner with excellent french specialities.

The Pattaya branch must have opened 3 years ago and their bread, bakeries and sandwiches can be bought at Foodmart, Villa market and Friendship supermarkets. They also supply many restaurants in Pattaya.

La Boulange first opened in Bangkok about 10 years ago on Soi Convent. The original shop is still there and open for breakfast through to dinner with excellent french specialities.

The Pattaya branch must have opened 3 years ago and their bread, bakeries and sandwiches can be bought at Foodmart, Villa market and Friendship supermarkets. They also supply many restaurants in Pattaya.

Tops Supermarket on 2nd road and Pattaya Klang also has their bread and pastries - did not spot any sandwiches

• 3 months later...
3rd Road? No, went to Soi Convent, as I was in the area. Not sure what you mean by 3rd Road... What's the full address?

3rd Road, Pattaya. Soi Convent is Bangkok. This is the Pattaya forum.

:)

I think Sadako is a bit lost :D