Slice On Soi Diana Inn Now Is An International Food Court

Jimmyd

As I was passing Slices on Soi Diana Inn today, I noticed it had changed into "International Food Court."

post-10689-1232263933_thumb.jpg

They have food from a lot of different restaurants, including Thai food from Cherries (on Third Road), Indian food from Ahaar (on Soi Post Office?) and Mexican food from Sam's (Tappraya Road?).

post-10689-1232263888_thumb.jpg

They also have a sandwich bar, a pasta bar, the same Slices Pizza and a place for ice cream. Here's a tour as you enter from Soi Diana Inn:

post-10689-1232264041_thumb.jpg

post-10689-1232264114_thumb.jpg

post-10689-1232264073_thumb.jpg

post-10689-1232264139_thumb.jpg

I didn't eat anything (we were on our way back from breakfast), but the Indian food looked uncommonly good and I may try it tonight. As it's in my neighborhood, I'll try the various foods and report back as I do and would appreciate it if others would chime in their opinions.

Edited by Jimmyd

I had a eyeball at the food they offered. IT LOOKED DISGUSTING. I am not kidding. This is not the same food they offer at the restaurants. I have eaten at Ahaar itself and what they had in the bins there was not the same quality, it looked vile. Of course people will always buy cheap pizza but I predict this venture other than the pizza has no future. Cheap isn't enough, it shouldn't be disgusting.

By the way, Sams is a new place that offers American style Mexican food and also burgers and stuff. To find, go to the Hanuman statue on Thappraya Road, turn left at the 7-11 down to the corner at the Ace Cafe. Turn RIGHT down the soi there (next to new condo) and Sam's is down that soi. I can't speak for their food yet though what they had at this 89 baht stall also looked disgusting. Sorry, I like good food. If you don't care, go at it.

Oh, here is a map for Sam's. Word is they do have good food at the restaurant a web review anyway:

post-37101-1232370574_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jingthing

I had a eyeball at the food they offered. IT LOOKED DISGUSTING. I am not kidding. This is not the same food they offer at the restaurants. I have eaten at Ahaar itself and what they had in the bins there was not the same quality, it looked vile. Of course people will always buy cheap pizza but I predict this venture other than the pizza has no future. Cheap isn't enough, it shouldn't be disgusting.

By the way, Sams is a new place that offers American style Mexican food and also burgers and stuff. To find, go to the Hanuman statue on Thappraya Road, turn left at the 7-11 down to the corner at the Ace Cafe. Turn RIGHT down the soi there (next to new condo) and Sam's is down that soi. I can't speak for their food yet though what they had at this 89 baht stall also looked disgusting. Sorry, I like good food. If you don't care, go at it.

Oh, here is a map for Sam's. Word is they do have good food at the restaurant a web review anyway:

post-37101-1232370574_thumb.jpg

Tried the indian last night and it was excellent.Got there late so they were pretty much sold out.

I had a eyeball at the food they offered. IT LOOKED DISGUSTING. I am not kidding. This is not the same food they offer at the restaurants. I have eaten at Ahaar itself and what they had in the bins there was not the same quality, it looked vile.

I've not seen how they present the food but to be fair, Indian food is not the easiest to make look good when on display. OK, for a single dish in a nice metal serving dish with a swirl of yoghurt and a sprinkle of fresh coriander it can be done, but I think it's very hard to make a mass produced indian dish look appetizing. I love Indian food but most dishes (at least the curries) end up looking like slops. The proof of the pudding as they say....

I had a eyeball at the food they offered. IT LOOKED DISGUSTING. I am not kidding. This is not the same food they offer at the restaurants. I have eaten at Ahaar itself and what they had in the bins there was not the same quality, it looked vile.

I've not seen how they present the food but to be fair, Indian food is not the easiest to make look good when on display. OK, for a single dish in a nice metal serving dish with a swirl of yoghurt and a sprinkle of fresh coriander it can be done, but I think it's very hard to make a mass produced indian dish look appetizing. I love Indian food but most dishes (at least the curries) end up looking like slops. The proof of the pudding as they say....

OK, I decided to give this place a second look at just to be fair and make sure I wasn't missing something.

Here is my updated assessment.

Looked at the Ahaar food on display. Some of it LOOKED better than the first time, except for the chicken pakoras and veg somosas which looked STALE, the biryani rice and the two chicken curries (tikka masala and vindaloo) LOOKED OK. They had nans but they were hiding them, I am assuming they were not fresh.

Time of visit, dinner hour about 7 pm.

So I ordered thus:

Plain biryani (no extra meat or veg in it) 55 baht

Chicken tikka masala 89 baht

The rice was CRISPY. It was stale. God knows how old it was. The spice was level 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, but not really expecting much spice in that dish.

The tikka masala, again OLD. Tiny portion. 4 small pieces of chicken. The chicken didn't taste particularly tikka, more like stuff you would feed to a dog. The spice level was 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. I know tikka masala isn't is super spicy dish but this was practically tasteless. I can imagine an old white lady from the sticks of Nebraska finding it a revelation, for someone who actually LIKES Indian food, it was an insult.

I realize some rice and one curry is not meant to be a large meal, but after that and a small Tiger Beer (55 baht) my first thought was that I needed MORE FOOD right away. So I went elsewhere and had more food.

If you think eating in a food court gives you good value, this is a case where you are getting much less value than in the restaurant. Tiny portion. Old. No taste. At the restaurant you can of course specify that you want more spice and some places listen to you.

Of course they aren't really looking for expats with this bad value offering. They are looking for the passing tourist bar going trade. ONE OFFS. Maybe they can pull it off, they fooled me ONE TIME.

You have been warned.

Edited by Jingthing

OK, I decided to give this place a second look at just to be fair and make sure I wasn't missing something.

Here is my updated assessment.

Looked at the Ahaar food on display. Some of it LOOKED better than the first time, except for the chicken pakoras and veg somosas which looked STALE, the biryani rice and the two chicken curries (tikka masala and vindaloo) LOOKED OK. They had nans but they were hiding them, I am assuming they were not fresh.

Time of visit, dinner hour about 7 pm.

So I ordered thus:

Plain biryani (no extra meat or veg in it) 55 baht

Chicken tikka masala 89 baht

The rice was CRISPY. It was stale. God knows how old it was. The spice was level 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, but not really expecting much spice in that dish.

The tikka masala, again OLD. Tiny portion. 4 small pieces of chicken. The chicken didn't taste particularly tikka, more like stuff you would feed to a dog. The spice level was 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. I know tikka masala isn't is super spicy dish but this was practically tasteless. I can imagine an old white lady from the sticks of Nebraska finding it a revelation, for someone who actually LIKES Indian food, it was an insult.

I realize some rice and one curry is not meant to be a large meal, but after that and a small Tiger Beer (55 baht) my first thought was that I needed MORE FOOD right away. So I went elsewhere and had more food.

If you think eating in a food court gives you good value, this is a case where you are getting much less value than in the restaurant. Tiny portion. Old. No taste. At the restaurant you can of course specify that you want more spice and some places listen to you.

Of course they aren't really looking for expats with this bad value offering. They are looking for the passing tourist bar going trade. ONE OFFS. Maybe they can pull it off, they fooled me ONE TIME.

You have been warned.

I agree! Far better to spend a bit more and go for freshly cooked food. The problem with this food court, is that it will never be truly busy. In the old days the Royal Garden food court was great, always busy and freshly prepared tasty food. The new one at Royal Garden is a waste of time as well.

Let's face it, you can walk to that Indian place opposite Soi Honey on Soi Buckhow and order some personalised food for 150 baht.

For much of the food at this Diana joint, the food is NOT cooked there. It is trucked in, God knows how old it is. Real food courts everything is cooked to order.

Which food court sells FRESHLY MADE Indian, mexican, pizza,pasta,burgers and more for 89bt and down.I had alibaba last night my bill was over 1000.

I am sure you have a number of dishes for 1000 B.

Let us break it down.

Food court portion was 1/3 at best a resto portion so that's 89 baht times 3 (and it wasn't at all good and very old tasting) equaling about 270 baht for the curry, probably similar to Ali Baba for tikka masala. So like I said, food court in this case means very bad value.

I am sure you have a number of dishes for 1000 B.

Let us break it down.

Food court portion was 1/3 at best a resto portion so that's 89 baht times 3 (and it wasn't at all good and very old tasting) equaling about 270 baht for the curry, probably similar to Ali Baba for tikka masala. So like I said, food court in this case means very bad value.

Ali baba tikka masala had 5 pieces of chicken the same as I had at indian by nature for 320bt.The indian rice was over 100bt,let me know where I can get these size portions with 15 pieces of chicken at any real indian restaurant around here.How can you compare the two?

Ali baba tikka masala had 5 pieces of chicken the same as I had at indian by nature for 320bt.The indian rice was over 100bt,let me know where I can get these size portions with 15 pieces of chicken at any real indian restaurant around here.How can you compare the two?

You are in luck.

There is a new Indian restaurant with GOOD FOOD and BIG PORTIONS and GOOD PRICES!

Get there soon.

It is called:

CURRIES INDIAN RESTAURANT

33/142 SOI LK METRO off Soi Bukhao

It is perpendicular to Soi Bukhao, not on the same soi as Bob's BBQ but nearby

Sample prices:

Chicken Tikka Masala 160

Saag Paneer 90

Fish Balti 140

1/2 Tandoori Chicken 140

Chicken Vindaloo 140

Mutton Rogan Josh 160

Edited by Jingthing

You are in luck.

There is a new Indian restaurant with GOOD FOOD and BIG PORTIONS and GOOD PRICES!

Get there soon.

It is called:

CURRIES INDIAN RESTAURANT

33/142 SOI LK METRO off Soi Bukhao

It is perpendicular to Soi Bukhao, not on the same soi as Bob's BBQ but nearby

Sample prices:

Chicken Tikka Masala 160

Saag Paneer 90

Fish Balti 140

1/2 Tandoori Chicken 140

Chicken Vindaloo 140

Mutton Rogan Josh 160

How can you compare Ahaar Indian to Curries Rest that's a joke.Go to Ahaar on 2nd rd and soi post office pay 10bt more for a dish and then you can see the difference.It's like comparing Bob"s bbq to mcdonalds.

I bought some pizza slices there today.

Very average.

They need to reheat them for longer when you go in.

Maybe they are scared of making you wait. But they are OK if you only have 55 baht and fancy a light snack.

Next time I will ask them to heat it in the convection oven for longer.

I had a look at the curry section. Actually the curries looked very good. I am sure re-heating might make them tasty. I will try them next time.

I must emphasize though, this place is really only for after-drinks snacks or emergency grub.

News flash!

Yet another great new Indian place in Pattaya!

It is the Royal Indian Hut, of the same ownership as the well known place down by the Mountain Hotel.

Very lush new place. Great food, great prices.

Nan -- 20 baht

1/2 tandoori chicken 120 baht

Chicken tikka masala 150 baht

It is located on the same side of the street as the Beverly Hotel going a little ways towards Jomtien (Pratumnak).

Indian food lovers will most likely like it,

You have been warned.

Sure seems like it with 55 baht per slice of suck azzed pizza from Slices.

You have been warned.

Sure seems like it with 55 baht per slice of suck azzed pizza from Slices.

Thinking about it. The pizza slices are mean being 1/8th size. They could at least offer 1/6ths. These days 55 baht=1.20pence (UK)