Swimming Coach

Ducati

Hi. I am looking for a swim coach as I want to start training for a triathlon.

The bike and run elements I can train for no problem...but I need to get back to basics and learn how to swim better if I'm going to manage nearly 2kms of water...at the moment I can do about 2 lengths of the pool and then sink.

Any recommendations for a coach to get me going on the basics?

For front crawl, pretend there is a ring the size of a bagel above your head in the water. Move your fingertips, wrists, elbows, and shoulders through this same hole. Try to avoid the head up, life guard, style; but don't bury your head, either. Propulsion is from the arms in front crawl. Don't kick, this cavitates the water. Your feet will move as counter balances, you don't have to think about them. Let your legs relax and 'think' about the arms. One of the biggest stroke flaws is bouncing a ten pound ball around, I mean the head. This distance swim, with no breath, streamlines the head and trains the muscles to feel a smooth stroke. Putting those ankle floats on is great for training.

One of the best ways to 'develop' a smooth, efficient swim stroke is to measure how far you can swim without taking a breath. When you establish a good distance in one breath, say on length, see how far you can go taking one breath, then 3 and so on. The breathe is taken in the bow wave under your arm pit with the head making a smooth, small pivot, and back to center. Every photo of an Olympic swimmer, you will notice half of their mouth is 1/2 open and the other half stays under water.

The last time I was coaching, there was debate about whether opposite breathing, every third stroke gave the least amount head movement, over gold medal winners breathing one side and getting more oxygen.

For training I would recommend a lot both sides, every third stroke breathing, but if you 'feel' like one side breathing in a race, do it. In a crowd of swimmers, it's always good to be able switch sides just to see what is going on.

Get this book. >>>http://www.abebooks.co.uk/products/isbn/9780720707625/Firby,+Howard/Howard+Firby+on+Swimming/

http://www.cshof.ca/accessible/hm_profile.php?i=347

Oh, if you live near a river with a current that can move you along, train by swimming 'with' the current. That will train your mechanics for you. They used to swim against a current to 'build strength', but that actually causes stroke flaws.

This is the best swimming instruction available especially for adults who are just getting into the water or for those looking to improve their form, I highly recommend contacting this person. Check out the website. He did wonders for my swimming and for other swimmers in Thailand.

www.swimtithailand.com

Turok

• 7 months later...
Does anyone know of any clubs in Bangkok for swim training. Preferably triathlon oriented training, but traditional swim training (for long distance) would also be okay.

Hi all,

I run a triathlon training squad in Bangkok, with weekly swimming, biking and running workouts. All levels are welcome, from the first timers to ironmans.

For more info << Use PM >>Cheers,

Vinnie

Edited by thaiphoon
e-mail address removed per forum rules - thaiphoon