Patpong Markets

bluemanna

this soi reminds me of something I would see on animal planet.

dozens of antelope lining to take turns taking a sip from the golden pond, all the while the predators lay and wait for the weak (minded).

that being said, it is the kind of place you must see once - not as exhilerating as bungy jumping, but still an sense of risk none the less.

yes indeed, Patpong, life on the edge.

Can I buy ping pong at Patpong?

No, but I hear you can buy Ping from Pong in Pat Pong.

You can, but Pongs Ping are ting tong in pat tong.

(say that ten times fast)

I heard that Pongs Ping are ting tong from a ling ling in pat pong...am I wrong?

paritally correct, actually The pings you get from Pong in Pat Pong do have slight ring. However, the one's that Ling Ling sells are not in fact not pings at all, they are pongs made by a guy name pat in beijing. I hope this clears up any confusion as to the quality of the pings and pongs on offer in Soi Pat Pong.

I used to be a once-a-month visitor to Patpong years (and years) ago when there were no tat market filling the street. We were Pattaya residents and would have a regular away-day in the city. When the market was unleashed, we all thought it was the death of Patpong as we knew it; I for one stopped the regular visits. As pointed out earlier, for a bunch of young guys on a bar-hop, the option to zig-zag freely from bar to bar from either side and spot potential 'targets' from afar was much better than the squeezed-in stroll down one sidewalk and then a similar stroll up the other. If the market buggers off, I will be back to see who is still alive. Is Randy at Goldfingers still buying a welcome drink for newcomers?

Edited by NanLaew

Can I buy ping pong at Patpong?

No, but I hear you can buy Ping from Pong in Pat Pong.

You can, but Pongs Ping are ting tong in pat tong.

(say that ten times fast)

I heard that Pongs Ping are ting tong from a ling ling in pat pong...am I wrong?

paritally correct, actually The pings you get from Pong in Pat Pong do have slight ring. However, the one's that Ling Ling sells are not in fact not pings at all, they are pongs made by a guy name pat in beijing. I hope this clears up any confusion as to the quality of the pings and pongs on offer in Soi Pat Pong.

Crap. I was way off the mark. Thanks for the 'straightener'.

I used to be a once-a-month visitor to Patpong years (and years) ago when there were no tat market filling the street. We were Pattaya residents and would have a regular away-day in the city. When the market was unleashed, we all thought it was the death of Patpong as we knew it; I for one stopped the regular visits. As pointed out earlier, for a bunch of young guys on a bar-hop, the option to zig-zag freely from bar to bar from either side and spot potential 'targets' from afar was much better than the squeezed-in stroll down one sidewalk and then a similar stroll up the other. if the market buggers off, I will be back to see who is still alive. Is Randy at Goldfingers still buying a welcome drink for newcomers?

Yep, Randy is still buying drinks for newcomers. I received one when I first landed.

Edited by mmushr00m

30,000 for one piece of plywood? you sure about that? they never seem to be doing that good. plus, different tourist seasons would have to have different rates. sounds like conjecture honestly.

A Thai friend of mine asked what the price of a stall was last week and was told 'sam muen' i.e. 30,000 a month. Now you can understand why most items on sale in Patpong are available at Chatuchak Market for less than half price (even without haggling!)

And the price at Chatuchak is?

I used to be a once-a-month visitor to Patpong years (and years) ago when there were no tat market filling the street. We were Pattaya residents and would have a regular away-day in the city. When the market was unleashed, we all thought it was the death of Patpong as we knew it; I for one stopped the regular visits. As pointed out earlier, for a bunch of young guys on a bar-hop, the option to zig-zag freely from bar to bar from either side and spot potential 'targets' from afar was much better than the squeezed-in stroll down one sidewalk and then a similar stroll up the other. if the market buggers off, I will be back to see who is still alive. Is Randy at Goldfingers still buying a welcome drink for newcomers?

Yep, Randy is still buying drinks for newcomers. I received one when I first landed.

Good! I better get the plastic surgery done so he don't recognize me then!

I can barely remember PP before the market and I never liked it, but TIT and enourmous amounts of stang have changed hands because of it. I always thought that if a fire started in there in the wrong place it would be hel_l. Probably make the recent night club fire pale in comparison.

A mate of mine says the Patpong Sois are not actual roads but are private property of I think it is the Patpongpanich family which is why the owner shuts the soi 1 day every year to enforce his right as the landlord to use the area as he sees fit (which is a street by day, and a sealed surface for a night market at night).

The rent per sqm is widely considered to be the average highest rental rate per sqm in Thailand, higher even than MBK; JJ Market is lower because it is only open 2-3 days per week and larger average stall size. The larger stalls are well over 100,000b per month, which is something like 8,000b per sqm. Only cosmetics counters pay more, and even then only a few of them.

JJ Market as I understand the rent tends to be slightly more than 30,000b as the stalls are larger so price per sqm is lower; however the opening hours are actually longer and more practical; 3 days of selling like crazy for 12 hours per day; then 4 days of inventory control and preparation; Patpong is what 4 hours per night X 7 nights max so that is less hours but a higher rent price. Of course JJ market is a buyers market as the buyers tend to be mostly Thai and therefore aware of what things cost; PP market is mostly tourists who will pay in some cases anything at all for the slightest piece of trash luois Vuitton fake bag.

As the landlord, why would he not want to make an additional probably 30MB-50MB baht a month compared to zero if he leaves the street empty? The girly bars probably get about the same amount of customers either way. The BMA probably turns somewhat of a blind eye as he does keep things clean, he provides a free street most of the year and as a result they make money on the sidewalks of Silom and Surawong as well.

Certainly is a fire risk though the few times I've been there; not too many places to escape and lots of flammable stuff.