Need To Sell A Few Gold Coins

remorhaz

Hi there,

I have a some gold coins I would like to sell but given what I have read people only want Thai gold bars? I haven't approached any of the goldsmiths I have seen in Pattaya yet and as a farang I of course would like to avoid the automatic farang discount of gold price minus 50% :o I have a Pandas and Canadian Maple Leafs. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I am in Pattaya so if we could stick to that area this would be helpful.

thanks!

Hi there,

I have a some gold coins I would like to sell but given what I have read people only want Thai gold bars? I haven't approached any of the goldsmiths I have seen in Pattaya yet and as a farang I of course would like to avoid the automatic farang discount of gold price minus 50% :o I have a Pandas and Canadian Maple Leafs. Any advice on this would be appreciated. I am in Pattaya so if we could stick to that area this would be helpful.

thanks!

Your impression of the gold dealers in Thailand is way off.

They run a fine operation in Thailand and buying and selling gold is a pleasure compared to the over regulated industry in most Western nations.

If you take your gold coins to a gold shop here you'll just get paid for the weight in gold at the daily buy rate posted (can change often throughout the day) minus 5% commission. Obviously a gold dealer anywhere must charge commission otherwise there's no reason for them to be in business. This commission is very reasonable compared to what they charge in many other countries.

I doubt any gold dealers here would consider the coin itself has any intrinsic value other than its weight in gold. Canadian Maple Leaf coins don't usually have any extra value unless of course a collector was looking for a particular coin for a collection.

You're going to have a realy difficult time selling coins in Thailand. The local culture doesn't provide a market place for them. You'll get a very low price at any shop, as the shop will need to either export them to sell, or else hold them and hope for a foreign customer. Either way, it will be a high risk deal with little upside for the shop owner.

The closest reliable place to sell them is Mustafa Centre in Singapore. If you have a bunch of them, that is where I would recommend you go. Otherwise, I would say a private sale is your best option. It sounds like you have several offers already. I am also a buyer, but I'm a bottom feeder. I only make steeply discounted offers on things nobody else wants. :o

You're going to have a realy difficult time selling coins in Thailand. The local culture doesn't provide a market place for them. You'll get a very low price at any shop, as the shop will need to either export them to sell, or else hold them and hope for a foreign customer. Either way, it will be a high risk deal with little upside for the shop owner.

The closest reliable place to sell them is Mustafa Centre in Singapore. If you have a bunch of them, that is where I would recommend you go. Otherwise, I would say a private sale is your best option. It sounds like you have several offers already. I am also a buyer, but I'm a bottom feeder. I only make steeply discounted offers on things nobody else wants. :o

You'll have no trouble selling gold coins for their weight in gold. Gold is gold in any form.

The gold shops will probably just melt them down once they've purchased them.

"Need To Sell A Few Gold Coins" ... A few? What's the fair value of one gold coin, a fair bit I'd have thought?

Yesterday the price of gold (didn't check today) was 14,050 per 14.6294 grams of gold (1 baht of gold = 15.16 grams of 96.5% [23ct] gold).

A one troy ounce gold coin would fetch 29,872 baht at this price less a 5% trading commission = 28,378 baht (yesterday)

Just for anyone interested, you may have noticed 2 prices on gold shop windows 100 baht apart. The lower price to purchase gold bullion. The higher price is what you pay for 23 carat (96.5%) gold in jewelry.

Edited by tropo

Just for anyone interested, you may have noticed 2 prices on gold shop windows 100 baht apart. The lower price to purchase gold bullion. The higher price is what you pay for 23 carat (96.5%) gold in jewelry.

Specifically, the lower price is what the shop will in theory pay for 96.5% gold bars stamped with a recognized refiners symbol, but that depends on their mood at the time. Also, some of them will give that price for gold chains sold from their shop with a receipt, but not all.

If you try to sell unknown chains, you'll get around 600 baht below this price (the shop will bargain with you based on how much they like the chain and if they think they could sell it for more than scrap value), and trying to sell coins or farang jewelry will bring even less than this as the gold isn't in a recognized form. In that case, it will have to be sold for scrap to be exported and melt down, which incurs additional overhead.

As I said previously, selling Western gold coins to a Thai gold shop is not something you want to do. Possible yes, but many of them will just say no because they don't know what it is and can't verify it, and those that will take it will give you an exceedingly low price because they consider it scrap. If you are willing to accept $50 below spot per oz. for your coins, then by all means try the Thai shops.

I had a friend who tried to sell 10 AGE's over here about 8 years ago. The shop owner took a blow torch to one of them to check it's gold content. Pure gold will melt and then harden with no discernible change in color. AGE's will turn green because they aren't 999. The shop owner then, after destroying your coin, offers you a low price because of the impurities. Be very careful taking Western coins to a Thai shop.

If you want fair value, go to Singapore with coins where there is an actual market for them.

Specifically, the lower price is what the shop will in theory pay for 96.5% gold bars stamped with a recognized refiners symbol, but that depends on their mood at the time. Also, some of them will give that price for gold chains sold from their shop with a receipt, but not all.

If you try to sell unknown chains, you'll get around 600 baht below this price (the shop will bargain with you based on how much they like the chain and if they think they could sell it for more than scrap value), and trying to sell coins or farang jewelry will bring even less than this as the gold isn't in a recognized form. In that case, it will have to be sold for scrap to be exported and melt down, which incurs additional overhead.

As I said previously, selling Western gold coins to a Thai gold shop is not something you want to do. Possible yes, but many of them will just say no because they don't know what it is and can't verify it, and those that will take it will give you an exceedingly low price because they consider it scrap. If you are willing to accept $50 below spot per oz. for your coins, then by all means try the Thai shops.

I had a friend who tried to sell 10 AGE's over here about 8 years ago. The shop owner took a blow torch to one of them to check it's gold content. Pure gold will melt and then harden with no discernible change in color. AGE's will turn green because they aren't 999. The shop owner then, after destroying your coin, offers you a low price because of the impurities. Be very careful taking Western coins to a Thai shop.

If you want fair value, go to Singapore with coins where there is an actual market for them.

Obviously you've been dealing with the wrong gold dealers. My dealer will pay for weight in gold no matter what form it's in. They always melt gold jewelry down and never try to resell it. She is a skilled dealer who can test the purity of gold. She can easily test a 0.9999 gold coin without destroying it.

Flying to Singapore to sell something which can easily be sold in Pattaya is a little extreme unless they pay extra for the coinage...which I very much doubt.

Sure, I'll agree there are many unprofessional dealers in Pattaya that will try their best to rip you off, but there are good dealers here too.

If anyone is looking for an honest dealer who speaks English well, PM me.

Just to verify what I'm saying here, I'm going to pop in and ask her specifically what she will give for gold coins. Stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

thanks!

hi

i live in pattaya.i might be interested in your coins.further info please-weight,year.condition,and price.iam not a dealer-just a gold bug.

raymundo

Tropo, you said we should "stay tuned". That was January 24. Today is February 17. Did you ever check with your friendly dealer?

No, I never asked my gold dealer. No one commented or showed any interest in my offer, so I didn't bother.

Do you need to know about selling gold coins here in Pattaya or are you just being a smartass?

• 10 years later...
19 hours ago, BlackJack said:

Maple leaf 1 oz and kangaroos 2 oz

Black Jack don't know if any help but the only dealer I have come across in Pattaya is a  is a Farang . His name is Jan a Danish guy that has been here forever. I used to have his number but lost it. He is sometimes at the PSC bowling every Friday. They bowl above the old Tops supermarket on cnr Klang & 2nd Road usually around 14:00 hrs. Wouldn't make a special trip but if the area stop up & ask one of the bowlers, . if he is not there one of the Thai girls bowling may have his or his wife number. If I track down his number will pm you.

5 hours ago, Baboy said:

Black Jack don't know if any help but the only dealer I have come across in Pattaya is a  is a Farang . His name is Jan a Danish guy that has been here forever. I used to have his number but lost it. He is sometimes at the PSC bowling every Friday. They bowl above the old Tops supermarket on cnr Klang & 2nd Road usually around 14:00 hrs. Wouldn't make a special trip but if the area stop up & ask one of the bowlers, . if he is not there one of the Thai girls bowling may have his or his wife number. If I track down his number will pm you.

Pattaya is full of gold dealers! Dozens around Pattaya Tai. Do not deal with a farang as it will be an illegal action.

14 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Pattaya is full of gold dealers! Dozens around Pattaya Tai. Do not deal with a farang as it will be an illegal action.

Really ?  You know Jan & the business he operates & has done for 20 years plus. May want to check facts sir as working with a work permit in a registered business is not illegal or at least it wasn't last time I heard. Care to share if the law has changed as I would be interested .

Blackjack up 2 u about trying to contact Jan. He is above board & legal but I defer to those with superior knowledge of all things on TV. When I get back to Pattaya ( after Songkran ) I will dig up his contact & PM you. You can talk to him and make your decision from there.  

If you want PM me the price you are looking for on each coin, I may know someone interested in a least one of them.

Edited by Baboy