With Less Money, Thaksin Lives A Costly Life Abroad

george

With less money, Thaksin lives a costly life abroad

Thaksin was complaining that living a life in exile was costly, about US$4-US$5 million a year.

Thaksin Shinawatra was staying at one of the 5-star hotels in Dubai on January 15, 2009 when he was interviewed by Noji Shibata, branch manager of Asahi Newspaper's Southeast Asian Branch. It was a hotel suite, which cost about US$500 a night. But the hotel is not one of the best over there.

Thaksin told the Japanese journalist that he is looking for a new source of income almost every day in order to cover the expenses. He explained that he had to sell Man City Football club for the same reason.

Thaksin expected that Pheu Thai Party would keep on supporting him but he said it was not possible for him to give any financial support to the party under current atmosphere.

The interview was published in Asahi Newspaper on January 17, 2009 in its international news section.

In this interview, Thaksin repeated several times that his financial position is in difficult condition so that he is not able to give any financial support to his supporters or Pheu Thai Party at this moment.

Excerpts of the interview, which represented Thaksin's first contact to Japanese media since he left Bangkok in August last year, are as follows:

S: What is the main reason forcing you to face this difficult situation? Was it because you sold your (Shin Corp) shares without paying any tax?

T : That was not main reason, I believe. In fact, it was not possible for me to pay tax according to the law at that time. It is true that this matter gave some impact to activate anti-Thaksin camp at that time. But there were some underground work to put label of "lese majeste" on me by some group of people since the time I was in peak of my status as PM of Thailand. Actually, I respect Thai Monarch much more than any other people but it seems there were some misunderstandings among group of advisors to our king.

S : What is your opinion of the new government?

T : Democrats got their power of majority by receiving support from the courts, the army and the Privy Council. They keep on asking me to stay away from Thai politics simply because they are not confident to win their power if I am still involved in politics. I believe it is the Army and the Privy Council who must stay away from politics.

S : Are you still willing to fight?

T : I will be 60 years old in July this year. I would rather prefer to have a peaceful life and wishing to see reconciliation of Thai people. However, there has been no approach from the government or the anti-Thaksin camps asking for any talks with me. I cannot die without proving my justice. I trust my supporters will keep on fighting against them even after my life ends here.

S : Tell me something about the main figures of anti-Thaksin camp.

T : Sondhi (Limthongkul), one of the PAD leaders is a puppet of anti-Thaksin force. He used to be one of my major supporters when I was PM in the early days. He told me that he would like to own a TV station but I told him it would be difficult because of the law. This was the reason why he suddenly turned himself to the enemy's side. It was really big mistake that I offered top position of Army to Gen Sonthi (Boonyaratglin), who lead the coup in 2006. I should not have chosen him as the top commander. It was my big mistake in my life. Gen Anupong (Paochinda, the current armuy chief) is also one of the puppets like Gen Sonthi.

S : Do you regret your decision to become politician?

T : Yes, certainly I do. Maybe I am being punished for something I did in my former life...You see, I lost my money and assets. Politic is a job which must be handled by "Doraemon" not by "Nobita"...

Source: The Nation 2009-01-22

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a media disinformation:

no name of the Japanese journalist

no name of the journal where him work.

no name of the hotel were him stay.

I dont like polics and i dont care but if they lie ...they lie.

Incredible.

The interview was published in Asahi Newspaper on January 17, 2009 in its international news section.

Incredible.

Go on, read the magazine and find out?

Unless you are saying that the Japanese journalist would be lying too...

Edited by TAWP

no name of the Japanese journalist Noji Shibata

no name of the journal where him work. Asahi Newspaper's Southeast Asian Branch

Incredible.

Learn to read before you post :o

/ Priceless

A branch manager of Asahi Newspaper's Southeast Asian Branch live in dubai or do the journalist in dubai?

Is dubai in Southeast Asia?

No news about that here:

http://www.gulfnews.com/home/index.html, possible?

find this news in Asahi Newspaper's for me

http://sitesearch.asahi.com/.cgi/sitesearch/sitesearch.pl

this is the result:

EDITORIAL: New Thai prime minister 2008-12-17

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... The nation's political pendulum on Monday swung against forces loyal to former Prime

Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. After ... 1990s. These years have been characterized by

a bitter political struggle between the pro-Thaksin and anti-Thaksin forces ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/...0812170059.html

EDITORIAL: Political crisis in Thailand 2008-12-04

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... The Constitutional Court's ruling Tuesday was rendered against a backdrop of popular

disaffection with the government dating back to former Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra's era. ... After fleeing overseas, Thaksin was found guilty of corruption ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/...0812040053.html

asahi.com:一口メモ - Asahi Weekly 2008-03-26

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... タイのタクシン首相の「代理人」を公言し、新首相に選出された国民の力党のサマック

党首について専門家の意見をAP 通信が“Analysts say his political fortunes will wax

or wane in line with those of Thaksin.” と伝えていた。 ←Back. ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/weekly/memo/memo080326.html

asahi.com:ひとくちメモ - Asahi Weekly 2006-10-01

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... better を用いる。「タイ愛国党 (TRT)」が首都で弱いのは、党ではなく党首に原因があることを

Bangkok Post は TRT's weakness in the capital can be better attributed to voter

dissatisfaction with the party leader Thaksin Shinawatra than the party ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/weekly/memo/memo061001.html

asahi.com : Dispatches from AAN - Asia Network - ENGLISH 2008-02-15

該当ページのディレクトリ

home English Asahi Weekly

該当記事

... tension between China and Taiwan. In Thailand, the People Power Party, which is

pro-former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a coup in

September 2006, won the general election recently. Yet Thailand's political climate ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/asianet/hatsu...atsu080215.html

asahi.com : English 2004-12-30

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... with the people in Aceh. In southern Thailand, Muslims who have hitherto been enraged

by the repressive crackdown of Prime Minister Thaksin, have softened their stance

as the nation enters 5 days of national mourning. But will the surging sympathy ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/asianet/column/eng_041230.html

asahi.com : English 2003-11-24

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... Though Taiwan still made necessary protest to China's nuance in demanding change

on already agreed upon seating arrangement for leaders to prevent Taiwan's Lee

Yuan-Tseh from sitting right next to the Thai host, Prime Minister Thaksin at the ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/asianet/column/eng_031124.html

This story is not in their archive.

Sorry i mean the name of the real journalist and the real news agency that make this interview.

Learn to use SEARCH before you post

/ Priceless

ciao

Edited by oceano

Incredible.

I could not find that journalist on the net either.

A branch manager of Asahi Newspaper's Southeast Asian Branch live in dubai or do the journalist in dubai?

No news about that here:

[...]

Sorry i mean the name of the real journalist and the real news agency that make this interview.

/ Priceless

ciao

I have no idea about the Asahi Newspaper's policies concerning what they publish in English on their website, and I cannot read Japanese.

What I pointed out was that, in contradiction of your earlier post, the journalist's name was given (Noji Shibata), the newspaper was identified (Asahi Newspaper) and, in actual fact, the publishing date was also given (January 17, 2009) so you needn't have searched the newspaper archive back to 2003.

I can only imagine that the newspaper sent their South East Asian bureau chief to Dubai to interview Thaksin. This does not seem unreasonable for a newspaper with a circulation in excess of 8 million copies. They probably wanted the interview to be conducted by somebody familiar with the Thai political situation, rather than by somebody stationed in the Middle East. Just guessing :o

/ Priceless

No news about that here:

http://www.gulfnews.com/home/index.html, possible?

find this news in Asahi Newspaper's for me

http://sitesearch.asahi.com/.cgi/sitesearch/sitesearch.pl

this is the result:

EDITORIAL: New Thai prime minister 2008-12-17

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... The nation's political pendulum on Monday swung against forces loyal to former Prime

Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. After ... 1990s. These years have been characterized by

a bitter political struggle between the pro-Thaksin and anti-Thaksin forces ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/...0812170059.html

EDITORIAL: Political crisis in Thailand 2008-12-04

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... The Constitutional Court's ruling Tuesday was rendered against a backdrop of popular

disaffection with the government dating back to former Prime Minister Thaksin

Shinawatra's era. ... After fleeing overseas, Thaksin was found guilty of corruption ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/...0812040053.html

asahi.com:一口メモ - Asahi Weekly 2008-03-26

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... タイのタクシン首相の「代理人」を公言し、新首相に選出された国民の力党のサマック

党首について専門家の意見をAP 通信が"Analysts say his political fortunes will wax

or wane in line with those of Thaksin." と伝えていた。 ←Back. ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/weekly/memo/memo080326.html

asahi.com:ひとくちメモ - Asahi Weekly 2006-10-01

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... better を用いる。「タイ愛国党 (TRT)」が首都で弱いのは、党ではなく党首に原因があることを

Bangkok Post は TRT's weakness in the capital can be better attributed to voter

dissatisfaction with the party leader Thaksin Shinawatra than the party ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/weekly/memo/memo061001.html

asahi.com : Dispatches from AAN - Asia Network - ENGLISH 2008-02-15

該当ページのディレクトリ

home English Asahi Weekly

該当記事

... tension between China and Taiwan. In Thailand, the People Power Party, which is

pro-former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a coup in

September 2006, won the general election recently. Yet Thailand's political climate ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/asianet/hatsu...atsu080215.html

asahi.com : English 2004-12-30

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... with the people in Aceh. In southern Thailand, Muslims who have hitherto been enraged

by the repressive crackdown of Prime Minister Thaksin, have softened their stance

as the nation enters 5 days of national mourning. But will the surging sympathy ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/asianet/column/eng_041230.html

asahi.com : English 2003-11-24

該当ページのディレクトリ

home ENGLISH

該当記事

... Though Taiwan still made necessary protest to China's nuance in demanding change

on already agreed upon seating arrangement for leaders to prevent Taiwan's Lee

Yuan-Tseh from sitting right next to the Thai host, Prime Minister Thaksin at the ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/english/asianet/column/eng_031124.html

/ Priceless

ciao

C'mon folks! Stop sniping at each other, Taksin is the real enemy, obviously TAWP is a fellow traveller...let Taksin wallow in his own trough...it's obvious that he's the paymaster of the "red shirts"!

My english in not good, some people insult me for that.....everyday.

If they use their good english for find the real news and the fake news like me is better for all.

Taksin is in SINGAPORE...use internet dont loose you time whit me.

ciao

Thaksin was complaining that living a life in exile was costly, about US$4-US$5 million a year.

Thaksin Shinawatra was staying at one of the 5-star hotels in Dubai on January 15, 2009 when he was interviewed by Noji Shibata, branch manager of Asahi Newspaper's Southeast Asian Branch. It was a hotel suite, which cost about US$500 a night. But the hotel is not one of the best over there.

Thaksin told the Japanese journalist that he is looking for a new source of income almost every day in order to cover the expenses. He explained that he had to sell Man City Football club for the same reason.

Thaksin expected that Pheu Thai Party would keep on supporting him but he said it was not possible for him to give any financial support to the party under current atmosphere.

In this interview, Thaksin repeated several times that his financial position is in difficult condition so that he is not able to give any financial support to his supporters or Pheu Thai Party at this moment.

Excerpts of the interview, which represented Thaksin's first contact to Japanese media since he left Bangkok in August last year, are as follows:

S: What is the main reason forcing you to face this difficult situation? Was it because you sold your (Shin Corp) shares without paying any tax?

T : That was not main reason, I believe. In fact, it was not possible for me to pay tax according to the law at that time. It is true that this matter gave some impact to activate anti-Thaksin camp at that time. But there were some underground work to put label of "lese majeste" on me by some group of people since the time I was in peak of my status as PM of Thailand. Actually, I respect Thai Monarch much more than any other people but it seems there were some misunderstandings among group of advisors to our king.

T : Democrats got their power of majority by receiving support from the courts, the army and the Privy Council. They keep on asking me to stay away from Thai politics simply because they are not confident to win their power if I am still involved in politics. I believe it is the Army and the Privy Council who must stay away from politics.

T : I will be 60 years old in July this year. I would rather prefer to have a peaceful life and wishing to see reconciliation of Thai people. However, there has been no approach from the government or the anti-Thaksin camps asking for any talks with me. I cannot die without proving my justice. I trust my supporters will keep on fighting against them even after my life ends here.

T : Sondhi (Limthongkul), one of the PAD leaders is a puppet of anti-Thaksin force. He used to be one of my major supporters when I was PM in the early days. He told me that he would like to own a TV station but I told him it would be difficult because of the law. This was the reason why he suddenly turned himself to the enemy's side. It was really big mistake that I offered top position of Army to Gen Sonthi (Boonyaratglin), who lead the coup in 2006. I should not have chosen him as the top commander. It was my big mistake in my life. Gen Anupong (Paochinda, the current armuy chief) is also one of the puppets like Gen Sonthi.

T : Yes, certainly I do. Maybe I am being punished for something I did in my former life...You see, I lost my money and assets. Politic is a job which must be handled by "Doraemon" not by "Nobita"...

he "couldn't pay taxes as HE changed the laws prior to the sale...

Pure bred Taxinista speech all filled with honest mistakes, he hasn't done anything wrong - his past life is the reason why... take this guy for real!

Edited by Samuian

If they use their good english for find the real news and the fake news like me is better for all.

ciao

Are you saying that Thaksin ave been in Singapore for the last week and you have sources that prove that? Bring 'em then?

The more accurate info we can get, the better...

ciao

Are you saying that Thaksin ave been in Singapore for the last week and you have sources that prove that? Bring 'em then?

my source is irc...internet relay chat...you can find all you want...and beliveme many time they said all the true about something then the newspaper...

many times i see that.

Use internet is not only look the 1st page of google.....

Also what you think is true in your post before...never had a confirmation but you belive "the nation " like gold...

ciao

Edited by oceano

ciao

my source is irc...internet relay chat...you can find all you want...and beliveme many time they said all the true about something then the newspaper...

many times i see that.

Also what you think is true in your post before...never had a confirmation but you belive "the nation " like gold...

Must be true then, people on the internet wouldn't lie.

BTW, Thaksin visited Singapore about two years ago (which was after the coup) and it resulted in a bit of a diplomatic row between Thailand and Singapore. Also found that on the internet, so I know it to be true.

Edited by OriginalPoster

ciao

many times i see that.

less then the news paper....so do you find this news somewere or not?

Show to me the news in the japan site...were is it????????????

do you find this journalist or not?

i had show to you that is a fake....

what do you want more?

take care

ciao

many times i see that.

less then the news paper....so do you find this news somewere or not?

Show to me the news in the japan site...were is it????????????

do you find this journalist or not?

i had show to you that is a fake....

what do you want more?

take care

Don't know about the Japanese journalist, I was responding to your unsupported claim that Thaksin is in Singapore.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Leaving aside where Thaksin was or is right now, that final mention of Doraemon and Nobita suggests that maybe he has so much time on his hands that he whiles it away reading manga comics/watching anime or maybe he just knows/got told how to reach a Japanese audence.......... Either way, some entertaining ironies:

A majority of Doraemon episodes are comedies with moral lessons regarding values such as integrity, perseverance, courage, family and respect for elders.

The stories are formulaic, usually focused on the everyday struggles of fourth grader Nobita, the protagonist of the story. In a typical chapter, Nobita comes home crying about a problem he faces in school and/or the local neighborhood. After hearing him out, Doraemon always offers helpful advice to his problem(s), but that's never enough for Nobita, who is consistently looking for the "quick, easy" way out (which offers insight to the viewers as to why Nobita's life turned out the way it did). Finally, after Nobita's pleading and/or goading, Doraemon produces a futuristic gadget out of his aforementioned pouch to help Nobita fix his problem, enact revenge, or flaunt to his friends.

Nobita usually goes too far, despite Doraemon's best intentions and warnings, and gets into deeper trouble than before. Sometimes, Nobita's friends (usually Suneo or Jaian) steal the gadgets and end up misusing them. However, by the end of the story, there is usually retribution to the characters who end up misusing them, and a moral is taught.

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doraemon ]

Doraemon was sent from the 22nd century by Nobita's grandson. His mission was to save Nobita from poverty and from marrying Jiyan's ugly sister. He popped out of Nobita's desk drawer one day and that's when all their adventures began. Doraemon has a fourth dimensional pocket that links to the 22nd century. He can put almost anything in there and pull lots of weird gadgets out! He often uses the gadgets to save Nobita, but Nobita ends up misusing the gadgets and getting himself into more trouble.

[ http://doraemon.wingsee.com/doraemon.htm ]

Nobita is the biggest loser of all anime history. Nobita is clumsy, cries a lot, gets zeros on all his tests, sucks at all sports, and always gets bullied by Jyian and Suneo. He is the boy that Doraemon helps A LOT. He is the one that messes up everything that Doraemon gives him. Now that I think of it, Doraemon is pretty stupid to give him all the gadgets. Without the help of Doraemon, he would probably be dead right now. Doraemon's object right now is to try to make Nobita's future a good one.

[ http://doraemon.wingsee.com/Nobita.htm ]

post-14906-1232621920.gif [Doraemon]

post-14906-1232621933.gif [Nobita]

My hard bleeds for him. He should come back and face the music.

As for Oceano's claims that he is in Singapore, he has made this a couple of times in other posts, but has yet to show any evidence to back it.

I find it unlkely that he is there, but maybe oceano is correct and he shacked up in Hotel 81 in Geylang and going for Thai food and drinks at The Golden Mile :o

"my heart bleeds for him" :o

現在位置:

asahi.com

検索結果

Noji Shibataのサイト内検索結果

サイト内

Web

サイト内詳細検索サイト内検索の使い方検索総合ガイド

(PR) スポンサーリンク詳しく

測定器【レンタル】

測定器レンタルは自動見積の株式会社メジャー!当日発送可能

http://www.major1.co.jp

サイト内検索結果

検索結果がありません。

Is not a journalist for the asahi.com

He never write in english and japanise in this site.

Him is a Public relation for Major1 but never write nothings.

This site dont ever write this news , in english and japanise.

This site dont have jornalist in Dubai...think about one manager of a small japan site, one day, find taksin in dubai and make interview to him....

They dont also sell the interview to nobody also if they can make a lot af money...

they put also in english from 2004 all news about taksin and now that they have a scoop they dont write a word.....

come on...

For last, many journalist they share and find story on IRC, so i think is a good place for find something about someone and at this moment Mr. T is very popular.

ciao

Edited by oceano

My hard bleeds for him. He should come back and face the music.

As for Oceano's claims that he is in Singapore, he has made this a couple of times in other posts, but has yet to show any evidence to back it.

I find it unlkely that he is there, but maybe oceano is correct and he shacked up in Hotel 81 in Geylang and going for Thai food and drinks at The Golden Mile :o

Show me the evidence about this story....

as i said before nobody write about this, no one word about this interview, the journalist or the manager dont exist, the interview is not on that site, in english and in japanise....

so?

柴田 = shibata

タクシン = thaksin

This is the result for taksin in japanise:

現在位置:

asahi.com

検索結果

タクシン のサイト内検索結果

サイト内

Web

53件中1~10件表示

(PR) スポンサーリンク詳しく

貸金庫 海外移住、ロングステイ

銀行より便利な貸金庫 海外移住、ロングステイ時に大変便利 年中無休

http://www.safety-box.co.jp

卓球用品 ジャスポ 激安通販

ラケットも!ラバーも!卓球用品が激安!全国通販で販売中!

http://jasupo.com

タイ

1500万件以上の旅行体験談、クチコミランキングで選ぶホテル予約

http://www.TripAdvisor.jp

サイト内検索結果

タイで下院補選、連立与党が優勢 バンコク都知事選も 2009-01-12

該当ページのディレクトリ

home 国際

該当記事

【バンコク=山本大輔】タイで11日、下院補欠選挙(被選挙数29)の投票が

あり、即日開票された。同日夜の選管の非公式集計によると、昨年12月にタクシン

元首相派から政権を奪った民主党主導の連立与党が20. ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/international/update/...0901110167.html

英国サッカー界も金融危機の影 富豪ランクに変動 2009-01-09

該当ページのディレクトリ

home スポーツ

該当記事

... 代わって1位に浮上したのは、アラブ首長国連邦(UAE)の王族と関係が深

い投資開発会社のオーナーである38歳のシェイク・マンスール氏。タイのタクシン

元首相からマンチェスター・シティーを買収し、総資産は ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/sports/fb/KYD200901090005.html

タイ首相、国会外で施政方針演説 野党議員らは参加せず 2008-12-30

該当ページのディレクトリ

home 国際

該当記事

【バンコク=柴田直治】タイのアピシット首相が30日、バンコクの外務省で施政

方針演説をした。タクシン元首相を支持する「反独裁民主同盟」のメンバーが下院

の解散を求めて国会包囲を続けたため予定を1日延ばし. ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/international/update/...0812300153.html

今度はタクシン派が国会包囲、新首相の演説延期 タイ 2008-12-29

該当ページのディレクトリ

home 国際

該当記事

【バンコク=柴田直治】タイのタクシン元首相を支持する「反独裁民主同盟」の

約9千人が29日、国会を取り囲み、予定されていたアピシット首相の施政方針

演説を延期に追い込んだ。同同盟は下院の解散・総選挙を求. ...

URL

http://www.asahi.com/international/update/...0812290172.html

The last news was the 2009-01-12:

2009年1月12日0時50分印刷ソーシャルブックマーク

【バンコク=山本大輔】タイで11日、下院補欠選挙(被選挙数29)の投票があり、即日開票された。同日夜の選管の非公式集計によると、昨年12月にタクシン元首相派から政権を奪った民主党主導の連立与党が20議席を獲得し、元首相派など野党勢力は9議席にとどまっている。

昨年12月に憲法裁判所が旧与党3党の解党と幹部の公民権停止を命じ、29議席が欠員になった。このうち13が元首相派の政党の議席だった。アピシット首相にとっては、就任後初の審判となった。

この日はバンコク都知事選も投開票され、民主党公認のスクムパン氏が当選確実となった。

They talk about to close the ppp not about interview whit thaksin

ciao

現在位置:

asahi.com

検索結果

Noji Shibataのサイト内検索結果

サイト内

Web

(PR) スポンサーリンク詳しく

測定器【レンタル】

測定器レンタルは自動見積の株式会社メジャー!当日発送可能

http://www.major1.co.jp

サイト内検索結果

検索結果がありません。

Is not a journalist for the asahi.com

He never write in english and japanise in this site.

Him is a Public relation for Major1 but never write nothings.

This site dont ever write this news , in english and japanise.

This site dont have jornalist in Dubai...think about one manager of a small japan site, one day, find taksin in dubai and make interview to him....

They dont also sell the interview to nobody also if they can make a lot af money...

they put also in english from 2004 all news about taksin and now that they have a scoop they dont write a word.....

come on...

For last, many journalist they share and find story on IRC, so i think is a good place for find something about someone and at this moment Mr. T is very popular.

ciao

If you read the Nation and not the quote at the beginning of this thread, you'll find that the journalist's name is Naoji (not Noji) Shibata. I did a google with this name and got 1290 hits of which 401 also contained the word "Asahi". I looked at a few of them and they all identified Naoji Shibata as a journalist for Asahi Shimbun.

Maybe would be a good idea to consider the fact that typos occur, occasionally :o

/ Priceless