Price Of Land

My wifes father asked my wife and I if we would be intersted in buying 11rai of land about 1km of the main highway in Nakhon Phanom it has water and power close by and has chanote title, it's a friend of my wifes dad who is selling it and he is asking for 200,000baht, seems a bit cheap to me, or is land still that cheap in the northeast?

Don't know any other details yet, thanks for any replies.

200k per rai sounds in the ballpark, depending on the specifics. Land within 1km of any main highway is never cheap.

200k for 11 rai sounds like a scam. There is no way it is that cheap....not even in Yala where you're likely to lose your head. 200k for 11 rai is too cheap even for uncleared land in the middle of nowhere without any road access.

The 200k is either per rai, you heard wrong, or there is more to this story than you are telling us.

I was offered land up north from a family contact for 10 rai for 100k late last year.. It was sor por kor tho (I think, was a few months back either that or tor bor ha.. Theres little to no nor sor sam gor up around there) and really, what do I want some rice land for ?? It had road access, and was rice land so needed filling / raising if you wanted to build..

I have been offered a bunch of different rural land for throwaway money a few times, what surprises me most is that it might be chanote, my experience is very little agricultural land up there is, NS3G being about the best for non urban land there.

200k per rai sounds in the ballpark, depending on the specifics. Land within 1km of any main highway is never cheap.

200k for 11 rai sounds like a scam. There is no way it is that cheap....not even in Yala where you're likely to lose your head. 200k for 11 rai is too cheap even for uncleared land in the middle of nowhere without any road access.

The 200k is either per rai, you heard wrong, or there is more to this story than you are telling us.

It's 200,000 for the 11 rai and that's what I thought.

My wife and I live in Scotland and we aren't due to go back over to Thailand till October at the earliest so I haven't seen the land and it's not just my money we will use, my wife works over here also so half will be hers. I had mentioned to her dad last year that we were looking for a bit of land, around 3/4 rai, on which to build a house and so to be honest 11 rai is way more than we need but up were my wife is from, the Thai/Chinese are buying up loads of the land and just sitting on it and so maybe it would be a good idea to buy the 11 rai as an investment for our son for when he is older.

Sorry but there is nothing more to the story that I know of, why would I ask for opinions but not give the whole story?

The offer may not be for real ownership. It may instead be for pseudo ownership. In other words, you develop the land, infrastructure, build house, etc. and then if/when you break up with your wife, the family gets it back. It sounds like he's getting Bt.200k for you fixing up the property - which he or his family will get back eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
We bought 10 rai for 100k last year, far from mainroad! But you see it is possible for 10.000 baht/rai!

But we also bought riverfront land (Mekong) for almost 1000000/rai, it is all about LOCATION!

I follow up this tread with my questions about Price of Land:

My wife also was offered land to by from her aunt.

The land is located near Phetchabun , Nnang Nua .My wifes aunt want 30 000 Bhat for a rai. The land has a total size of 8 rai.It is paddy field about 6 km from tarmac road.

To my opinion it is to expensive.What are your opinion about this?

I will have a look to the locality during my next visit in April.

Franz

It's all conjecture untill you get back to Thailand. A friend of mine had a legal problem the other year over land, and while we all gave him our best educated guesses on the state of play, the best advice he got was to go see a lawyer - Somebody who actually knows the rule of law. The problem was sorted with the minimal cost.

It does seem cheap, but good deals do happen, and you're maybe getting a good deal BECAUSE of you relatives. When you get back to LOS, have a talk with the people involved, and go see a lawyer. May cost you a bit, but you're buying peace of mind really.

As I actually live in Issan & not to terribly far from Nakon Phanom, I'd say the price is reasonable to a wee bit of a deal. 200,000/11 rai = 18,182 Bt per rai. This is not to bad for "1 Km OFF the main highway" and "water & power CLOSE BY". Most rice paddy land around here (North of Mukdahan) goes for about 20,000 per rai.

This description means no Highway frontage & possibly 3 Kilometers down a dirt road. Water is no problem as you can drill a well fairly cheap, but power could be expensive for you to run to the land. The power company will charge you for poles, cable, meter & possibly transformer, which can add up quickly for a long distance run. If like us, you need 3 phase, you could well pay more to run the 3 phase power than the cost of the land.

I would want to see the Chanote paper to make sure it is indeed titled that way. No matter what I would not consider buying it until I put my eyes on it, walked and measured the lines, located the markers & verified the numbers, & checked out the surroundings. If you can't locate the markers or the numbers don't match the drawing on the Chanote, call the land office & have them survey just to insure that you are buying the land they tell you that you are buying.

In farang land, its Buyer Beware. Here it's trust no one, especially the wife's family & be skeptical about everything anyone tells you, even/especially a farang, then buyer beware.

• 4 weeks later...

hi guys, been reading articles on here for a while now, so i thought it was about time i got ppls advice thoughts and opinions on my own story. ok here goes. me and the wife have got some land in surat thani,in a moo baan. 2km to the beach, 8km to market town, it is concidered farm land, not paddy fields, neither the two rai we own nor surrounding lands are farmed or used in anyway. the land is 150m from concrete goverment road. ok, we have 2rai. 1st rai bought in 2006 for 100,00 baht 2nd adjoining rai bought in 2008 for 150,000 baht. the 2rais are 150m fron goverment road, and no acess so we had to build the road, 150mx3mx2m and a turn of 30mx3mx2m also half a rai filled 2m high all with mountain stone. used 251 10 wheel loads @900 baht a load =225,900 baht, this included 360 machine at mountain, truck to transport 3km away to land and rot thai tractor to spread and compact ?

please let me know what u think guys......... thanks v much.....

Pretty much what tagaa said. I have bought land in the north before, for between 10k and 100k per rai, dependent on location. Rice land is about 25k and land on a tarmac road with power etc is 75-100k at least. None of it had chanote paper, but there were markers.

Witnessed by puyai in the village.

You will probably find that you are the only ones able to afford the land....which somewhat limits the resale value

the 2rais are 150m fron goverment road, and no acess so we had to build the road, 150mx3mx2m and a turn of 30mx3mx2m also half a rai filled 2m high all with mountain stone. used 251 10 wheel loads @900 baht a load =225,900 baht, this included 360 machine at mountain, truck to transport 3km away to land and rot thai tractor to spread and compact ?

So, if your land is 150m from the road, with no access, who's land did you build the road on?

the 2rais are 150m fron goverment road, and no acess so we had to build the road, 150mx3mx2m and a turn of 30mx3mx2m also half a rai filled 2m high all with mountain stone. used 251 10 wheel loads @900 baht a load =225,900 baht, this included 360 machine at mountain, truck to transport 3km away to land and rot thai tractor to spread and compact ?

So, if your land is 150m from the road, with no access, who's land did you build the road on?

thanks

we bought the land from family and road is shown on ns3 ans surrounding lands ns3 owned by family and apparantley its stated that a road can be built and used by all, just we are first to use land so had to build road, land office seems to agree with this when we went to see them..

thanks

The offer may not be for real ownership. It may instead be for pseudo ownership. In other words, you develop the land, infrastructure, build house, etc. and then if/when you break up with your wife, the family gets it back. It sounds like he's getting Bt.200k for you fixing up the property - which he or his family will get back eventually.

Absolutely

The price of any land may be cheap .but

You need the land title ( Chanode the best ), many try to sell untitled land -

You need access , or you will have to pay extra for access and perhaps not be able to get access at all , how much ? , -

You will need to put in infrastructure - Cost ?