Rock Gigs In Bkk/ Art Bars

bellestar

Lullabar is to close shortly, which is a shame as it was such a characterful venue....I believe the lease has run out.

Also check out Noriegas on Silom Soi 4, it's right at the end of the soi. They occasionally have indie/alternative nights on featuring local live bands.

The Tube in Coco Walk Ratchetewi is about to start a regular live night every Wednesday. First show is February 4th (next Wednesday) Abuse The Youth are playing and there will be 2 or 3 other bands I believe.

Tonight there is a indie show at the Rock Pub, Ratchatewi BTS, featuring 3 bands....The Standards (brit pop), Tabasco (punky disco) and Blood Thirst Spider (punk/indie) all original material, not cover bands.

There are shows happening in Bangkok with some good bands but it's quite a small scene and would benefit from more support.

Most Thais seem to prefer the Thonglo or Ekamai bars where they can drink whiskey and sing along to the latest hits by Thai cover bands.

The best places to look for what's going on tends to be the social networking sites like Myspace or Hi5

arrrgh! too bad i didn't check the forum yesterday! i missed the show! i hope to catch that brit pop band, looks interesting as well as the disco-punk one...yeah, i think the scene here is not as big, but is worth checking out, it's usually the first bits of culture i wanna touch on-- i am enjoying thai pop at the moment though as well!

if anyone knows a good indie pop gig coming up, let me know :o

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok Gig Guide

Tokyo Joe's. Suk 24.

Tokyo Joes is closed indefinately

Yeah, what's up with that? When did it close and does anyone know why?

It (yes, soi 26) closed about one month ago due to poor management.

Edited by barky

if anyone knows a good indie pop gig coming up, let me know :D

It's all about New Young Pony Club - will they, won't they?

New Young Pony Club will be playing at Tiger Translate February 21st

Fantastic! (Playground)

Any details? Google is bare :o

waahh! where is that? i wanna catch that so please send me a link to the details :D oh, and i found out snow patrol and placebo will be headlining BKK 100 rockfest so i think i wanna see that as well :D

waahh! where is that? i wanna catch that so please send me a link to the details :D oh, and i found out snow patrol and placebo will be headlining BKK 100 rockfest so i think i wanna see that as well :D

Bangkok 100 rockfest? When is that?

sorry, got too excited and found out that was way back couple of years ago! but they usually hold it in November :D

Lullabar is to close shortly, which is a shame as it was such a characterful venue....I believe the lease has run out.

Also check out Noriegas on Silom Soi 4, it's right at the end of the soi. They occasionally have indie/alternative nights on featuring local live bands.

The Tube in Coco Walk Ratchetewi is about to start a regular live night every Wednesday. First show is February 4th (next Wednesday) Abuse The Youth are playing and there will be 2 or 3 other bands I believe.

Tonight there is a indie show at the Rock Pub, Ratchatewi BTS, featuring 3 bands....The Standards (brit pop), Tabasco (punky disco) and Blood Thirst Spider (punk/indie) all original material, not cover bands.

There are shows happening in Bangkok with some good bands but it's quite a small scene and would benefit from more support.

Most Thais seem to prefer the Thonglo or Ekamai bars where they can drink whiskey and sing along to the latest hits by Thai cover bands.

The best places to look for what's going on tends to be the social networking sites like Myspace or Hi5

thanks for these tips, i will check some of these out when i get back to BKK (frolicking on the islands now). more updates like this would be great!

sorry, got too excited and found out that was way back couple of years ago! but they usually hold it in November :o

Ah well, got my hopes up :D

Bangkok 100 Rock was scheduled for last November but was canceled due to the International bands (Manic Street Preachers, Ash, Hoobastank etc) not being able to get here due to the airport closure. The organizers then announced they would reschedule the show at the end of February then canceled it again last week......Not sure why.

Abuse The Youth is my favourite local band these days. Check out their new MV 'Way Out' on youtube or facebook (better quality on fb).

I checked out The Tube a couple nights ago, wasn't impressed but it has potential if they can get the bands in.

its so disappointing that, when playing live in clubs, most of the Thai rock bands simply recycle the same old western shit; hotel CA, sweet home AL, zombie, etc.

thai rock and pop is fine and i'd like to see thai bands playing thai music but as far as i can tell, it doesn't happen in clubs and pubs, only in town/village festivals and they only happen occasionally.

do any of the places mentioned so far have thai bands playing thai rock and pop music?

Slur (the best of all the thai indie pop bands imo) are doing a university tour of bkk next month.

Cracking live band too.

i saw their video for their new single "Magazine" and i like it! :o would you know where they have a regular gig?

its so disappointing that, when playing live in clubs, most of the Thai rock bands simply recycle the same old western shit; hotel CA, sweet home AL, zombie, etc.

thai rock and pop is fine and i'd like to see thai bands playing thai music but as far as i can tell, it doesn't happen in clubs and pubs, only in town/village festivals and they only happen occasionally.

do any of the places mentioned so far have thai bands playing thai rock and pop music?

Yeah Silly Fools, Modern Dog, Ebola, Paradox, Saturday Seiko, Saliva Bastards, Siam Secret Service... they all play Hotel California. :o Bands like this play frequently in places like RCA and events like Dude/Sweet nights.

If you go to dull places, expect dull music.

Here are a few, alpha order with music quality rating (my opinion only) in stars:

Ad Here (blues and rock), Samsen Rd ****

Brick Bar (rock, ska, pop), Khao San Rd ***

Overtone (rock, fusion), RCA ****

Park 2 (rock, ska, jazz), Sukhumvit 64 ***

Rain Dogs (occasional rock gigs, special events only), Rama IV ****

Rock Pub (rock, fusion), Phayathai Rd **

Saxophone Pub (blues, rock, jazz), Victory Monument ****

Shamrock Bar (rock), Khao San Rd ****

Can you tell me more about this place? I live on soi 75 and wouldn't mind something slightly close to home to enjoy a few pints at.

Cheers,

BFD!

SLUR is refreshing and they still are fun. They're back from a weird Swiss German tour and doing their wacky Thai version of the Strokes & the Libertines. Given time they'll let go the boy band leanings (if Pae can reign in his big ego). They take some getting used to because Pae the singer/guitarist comes off as a bit full of himself. They at least have easy to remember names like Boo and Bank. Yes is long gone though (unless he came back, but I dunno.)

Here's where they are playing. Just be prepared for alot of screaming girls and Thai university guys trying hard not to be uncool. The SmallRoom Campus Tour;

7 Feb 2009 18:00 Kasetart Uni BKK

13 Feb 2009 18:00 Mongkut Uni Thonburi BKK

24 Feb 2009 18:00Mahidol Uni BKK

25 Feb 2009 18:00 Srini Uni Ongkharak BKK

28 Feb 2009 20:00 Seed Show Chiang Mai

7 Mar 2009 20:00 RedBull Festival BKK

20 Mar 2009 20:00 SanMiguel festival BKK JJ Mall

I'm going to try and make the karaoke knuckleheads come up to Bangkok with me to see them at red Bull or SanMiguel. I figure if they make me do an Issan dancing night, I can show them what real fun is :o These guys are well worth seeing, because they do put on a good show and its fun.

Edited by geriatrickid

Here are a few, alpha order with music quality rating (my opinion only) in stars:

Ad Here (blues and rock), Samsen Rd ****

Brick Bar (rock, ska, pop), Khao San Rd ***

Overtone (rock, fusion), RCA ****

Park 2 (rock, ska, jazz), Sukhumvit 64 ***

Rain Dogs (occasional rock gigs, special events only), Rama IV ****

Rock Pub (rock, fusion), Phayathai Rd **

Saxophone Pub (blues, rock, jazz), Victory Monument ****

Shamrock Bar (rock), Khao San Rd ****

Can you tell me more about this place? I live on soi 75 and wouldn't mind something slightly close to home to enjoy a few pints at.

Cheers,

BFD!

I double-checked and it's on Soi 66, not 64. The last time I went it was a Saturday night and they had three bands. The third was the best, a hard-rocking ska band whose name I didn't catch but I preferred them to Teddy Ska of Brick Bar fame or T-Bone.

SLUR is refreshing and they still are fun. They're back from a weird Swiss German tour and doing their wacky Thai version of the Strokes & the Libertines. Given time they'll let go the boy band leanings (if Pae can reign in his big ego). They take some getting used to because Pae the singer/guitarist comes off as a bit full of himself. They at least have easy to remember names like Boo and Bank. Yes is long gone though (unless he came back, but I dunno.)

Here's where they are playing. Just be prepared for alot of screaming girls and Thai university guys trying hard not to be uncool. The SmallRoom Campus Tour;

7 Feb 2009 18:00 Kasetart Uni BKK

13 Feb 2009 18:00 Mongkut Uni Thonburi BKK

24 Feb 2009 18:00Mahidol Uni BKK

25 Feb 2009 18:00 Srini Uni Ongkharak BKK

28 Feb 2009 20:00 Seed Show Chiang Mai

7 Mar 2009 20:00 RedBull Festival BKK

20 Mar 2009 20:00 SanMiguel festival BKK JJ Mall

I'm going to try and make the karaoke knuckleheads come up to Bangkok with me to see them at red Bull or SanMiguel. I figure if they make me do an Issan dancing night, I can show them what real fun is :D These guys are well worth seeing, because they do put on a good show and its fun.

thanks for this rad info! i will take note of that one-- i might not be able to catch them on the Uni legs, but maybe i will get to see them play live at the RedBull/ San Miguel Fest too :o

Does Slur perform any originals?

Slur perform mostly original material....They're very much the "darlings" of the Thai Indie scene. I find the singer rather uncharismatic but the band are more than capable.

The Tiger Translate show has now been announced, February 21st at Magic Land, Phahonyotin. BTS Phahonyotin.

Featured artists are New Young Pony Club (UK), Paradox, Flure, Slot Machine amongst others.img_content20090221_large.jpg

post-11675-1234003417_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Does Slur perform any originals?

Slur perform mostly original material....They're very much the "darlings" of the Thai Indie scene. I find the singer rather uncharismatic but the band are more than capable.

The Tiger Translate show has now been announced, February 21st at Magic Land, Phahonyotin. BTS Phahonyotin.

Featured artists are New Young Pony Club (UK), Paradox, Flure, Slot Machine amongst others.img_content20090221_large.jpg

i am SOOOOOO excited for this one-- i had a Thai friend translate the stuff in the poster, sent an email to the website, and got two FREE tickets to catch New Young Pony Club! thanks so much for posting. now i am beginning to think the BKK music scene ain't that bad after all! :o

Does anyone know times/running order for the acts? I really want to see NYPC and Paradox, but don't want to be there for 5 hours listening to every band that comes on.

Cheers

New Young Pony Club should be on about 9.30pm and Paradox at about 11pm.