Burnley Appeal Over Defoe Being Not Eligible

MSingh

Redknapp again, when will he learn the rules... :o

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...Cup-defeat.html

Burnley are attempting to get Tottenham Hotspur thrown out of the Carling Cup final at Wembley as they believe Jermain Defoe was not eligible to play in last week's semi-final.

The Championship side will write to the Football League on whether Defoe should have appeared in the second leg - when he was not eligible for the first.

Sense will prevail in this, I beleive Spurs will play in the final there's no doubt about that.

I think if only Defoe had scored at the death then, they (Burnley) would have far more of a case but, Pavleychenco scored the first of the two late ones. Sorry for Burnley but, you can't knock Spurs out for an admin error and, should someone at the FA not be looking out for these things before the game kicks off....!

redrus

I think they should kick United out and let Spurs and Burnley play in the final :D

lol, behave numb nuts, like I said in my first sentence.........., you know about sense....., oh forget it.... :o

:D

redrus

Seems unlikely Spurs will be denied a place in the final and it would be an astonishing administrative cock-up on their part if they were shown to have breached a League Cup rule by fielding Defoe. In which case, tough titties!

I am sure if their name was Burnley, Bury, Sunderland, Swindon, Torquay or Droylsden, there would already be no doubt that they had broken the rules and they would have been swiftly kicked out the competition last week.

Sense will prevail in this, I beleive Spurs will play in the final there's no doubt about that.

I think if only Defoe had scored at the death then, they (Burnley) would have far more of a case but, Pavleychenco scored the first of the two late ones. Sorry for Burnley but, you can't knock Spurs out for an admin error and, should someone at the FA not be looking out for these things before the game kicks off....!

redrus

Well they kicked us out for an admin error a few years back cos we fielded a Player we shouldn't have done, & he didn't even touch the ball let alone score & play for 120 minutes..

Redknapp again of course after we beat Villa in the Quarter Finals....

http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_...27/func,fb_pdf/

It was a loan spell with Gillingham in 1999 that produced Omoyinmi's most infamous moment. During his loan spell, he turned out for the club in the Football League Cup, before returning to West Ham, where he appeared as a substitute in a later round of the same competition. This meant Omoyinmi was ineligible (cup-tied), and it saw the Hammers kicked out of the competition.

i thought there was a rule that a player couldn't play for the same club twice in a 12 month period? so spurs shouldn't have been able to re-sign defoe or chimbonda?

Are you insinuateing that Harry Redknapp abides by the rules of the Premier League & FA Stevie ?? :o

How dare you... :D

Edited by MSingh

It was a loan spell with Gillingham in 1999 that produced Omoyinmi's most infamous moment. During his loan spell, he turned out for the club in the Football League Cup, before returning to West Ham, where he appeared as a substitute in a later round of the same competition. This meant Omoyinmi was ineligible (cup-tied), and it saw the Hammers kicked out of the competition.

If I remember correctly they were made to replay the game which they went on to lose.

i thought there was a rule that a player couldn't play for the same club twice in a 12 month period? so spurs shouldn't have been able to re-sign defoe or chimbonda?

Are you insinuateing that Harry Redknapp abides by the rules of the Premier League & FA Stevie ?? :o

How dare you... :D

he does seem to get away with murder compared to other managers. he's the only one who consistently talks about signing other teams' players in his press conferences which is in direct contravention of the rules.

If I remember correctly they were made to replay the game which they went on to lose.

Correct, on Penalties..

I doubt even if this Burnley Game would be replayed, it would still have the firts leg 4-1 Sp*ds part which i very much doubt they'd overturn anyway, but rules are rules..

The Football League have confirmed that Defoe was eligible to play.

Full article from skysports:- http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,13864_4851720,00.html

Spurs should still be kicked out, just because they are who they are.

i agree 100%. i want spurs to get relegated, something i didn't want before bent harry went there.

Seeing the Woodenspoons go down would make my day, aloing with the $1000 Singapore dollars that I'll collect off my mate. :o