5 year thai driving license now available

Seems like some common sense has kicked in in the LOS regarding red tape and beauracracy. Just renewed my Thai driving license, and they offered me a 5 year version for 505 baht. So I went for it, and my driving license expires in 2552 (appears longer than 5 years; not sure how they work it out). I only have a non imm O, and have doing 90 day visa runs, so no special visa requirements appear to be required. Might be necessary to renew your license a couple of times on a yearly basis before they offer you the longer term one. They have also changed the license a bit; maybe they are making it more difficult to forge? The 5 year one may be a discretionary; maybe dependant on the mood of the officials?

Seems like folks (Thais) were getting fed up with their driving licenses expiring after a year, and anyway, who has all the time in the world to hang around government offices all day doing paper work?

PS: I was the first foreigner to get a Thai driving license in Sukhothai provence; they told me some years back to come back the following day so they could work out what the procedures are for foreigners :o

Seems like folks (Thais) were getting fed up with their driving licenses expiring after a year

It's the other way round. After three years, thais get an unlimited driving license (my wife and my father in law have one without bribing). Maybe now they begin to put a limit like any civilized country.

How long do you have your previous licenses. Maybe the limit is 10 years including the years you had your old license (I just guess).

MaiChai,

I did report that 5 year licences are now being issued

in my post on 24th August at:

http://forum.thaivisa.com/cgi-bin/ikonboar...t=ST;f=2;t=1781

Take a good look at the expiry date of your Licence

I think you will find that it is your next Birthday after 5 years.

I have held a Thai licence for only 2 years - and I was given the 5 years Licence within an hour at Mochit.

I understand that Lifetime Licences are no longer being issued.

5 years is now the norm.

Roger

OK, I confirm above, renewed mine today at Bangkok No. 3 office. Was not even asked, "I give you 5 years". Baht 505.

Licence actually for 10 years from 2541 til 2551, issued today means 5 years no need to go there. Confirm expiration on my birthday in 2551

After having eliminated the lifetime license option at the end of July, I would imagine that the next move would be to make *all* renewals of the five-year variety thereby eliminating the one-year renewal license.  This course of action would make sense but I haven't heard of any such plan...

Interesting. I have a one year Thai driving license which has now expired. My wife called the department and they informed her that I have one year to renew.

Doesn't make much sense but I have had no trouble with the police when I get pulled over for some offense. I don't pay the bribe but rather the fine at the local police station. Of course I try to talk my way out of a ticket. I am now batting .500.

Interesting. I have a one year Thai driving license which has now expired. My wife called the department and they informed her that I have one year to renew.

Doesn't make much sense but I have had no trouble with the police when I get pulled over for some offense. I don't pay the bribe but rather the fine at the local police station. Of course I try to talk my way out of a ticket. I am now batting .500.

Hi Vagabond,

OK you have one year of grace in which to renew

your expired licence ...

Meanwhile - is it a VALID licence under your Insurance

Policy?

If you maim or kill someone - when your Insurance is not valid because you do not have a Licence which your Insurance Co. considers to be valid - the Injured or deceased relatives can take you to court and you could lose all that you own ...

- unless of course you are REALLY rich

Roger

I seem to remember a very long post about Thai driving license, I must be getting old. I was also offered a 5 year license, I did post this and was shouted down. I also pointed out that Thais can get a lifetime license on the 3rd year, this was also a misinterpretation of the facts. I live in hope that some people will get things right eventually, just listen to the old timers. My wife just got her lifetime licence. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not entirely certain but it appears that people have an option to take a one year for 105 baht or a 5 year for 505. I got a one year at Mochit today because they are likely to change the rules again and revoke the 5 year licences as they did the life time licences. IIt makes sense to pay as little as possible in this country as you never know what will happen tomorrow.

because they are likely to change the rules again and revoke the 5 year licences as they did the life time licences.

Not sure, what you mean by this. If you got a life time licence, that's the pink one, it is valid. OK, they did change this for foreigners, switched to 1-year-only and now give you a choice, 1 year or 5 years. So if you get 5 years today, you can drive until your birthday in 2551, thats 2008.

Maybe the rules change in 2005 again, only 1 year, but this does not mean your licence, valid until 2008, will be revoked.

I don't pay the bribe but rather the fine at the local police station. Of course I try to talk my way out of a ticket. I am now batting .500.

What actually happens, if you get a ticket and do not go to the station to pay?

At least in those cases where you did not surrender your dr. licence.

You are all not batting on the right wicket, just imagine. Okay I have a brand new 5 year license, you an the other hand have nothing but your lovely passport. Firstly your insurance is invalid; secondly you are driving without the permission of the Thai Police. I show them my brand new 5 year, Okay fine. That guy who just came out of nowhere is in the shit, I am going home to a cold beer. Think about the consequences of it, just follow the rules a little bit.

agree...the reason to get your thai driver's license is to validate your insurance.  sure, many company's say an international or even your valid home country license is okay...they will say anything when selling you a policy and taking your money.  but when it comes time to pay a claim, their claims/legal department will be handling the matter and not their sales department.  suddenly, your local license will be no good.

My International License ran out quite few years back, and I  got stopped on one of the expressways. Thought I could show the International, and policeman wouldn't be able to read it. Wrong. Had to give the guy a 2000 baht bribe, otherwise I would be in for all sorts of problems. Incentivised me to get a Thai license. One of the most useful bits of paper I ever got, not to mention earning respect from the Thais for having one whenever I have to show it.

The Land Transport Department don't like processing foreigner applications, so I recon they will try and encourage you to get a 5 year one, so they don't have to deal with you again next year.

OK, I confirm above, renewed mine today at Bangkok No. 3 office. Was not even asked, "I give you 5 years". Baht 505.

Licence actually for 10 years from 2541 til 2551, issued today means 5 years no need to go there. Confirm expiration on my birthday in 2551

:o  :D  B)

Axel,

Happy Brithday in 2551.

You will by then be the longest living being on this planet in the Euro calender "ofcourse".

:laugh:

Axel,

Happy Brithday in 2551.

You will by then be the longest living being on this planet in the Euro calender "ofcourse".

What a surprise and thank you.

You know for 2551 I have one birthday wish.

That all the girls I know since 2521 are retired by then and

new comers dare to wish me all the best.

Cheers!

What actually happens, if you get a ticket and do not go to the station to pay?

At least in those cases where you did not surrender your dr. licence.

Has anybody experience on this question?

I remember I had a ticket for an illegal U-turn 2 years ago. Since I claimed, not having a driving licence on me, the kind guy in brown accepted a name-card and insisted giving me a ticket. Even claimed, it was close to end of the month and needed more tickets, not cash.

I asked an friend to call the station, got a reply that sure have to pay the ticket, if not they will charge 20% when renewing the car-licence.

No problem, see below or click

http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country at the Land Transportation Department.

The following are required to make the application :

Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. (Individuals with a Tourist Visa don't qualify)

Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau

Medical certificate stating good health

2 photographs Driving License of the respective country Application in person.