Mobile Phone Virus

Crushdepth

Last night I went to Pump Up for New Years, and I got sent a file over Bluetooth on my mobile phone (which I accepted just out of curiosity). It was called CARIBE. So this morning I looked it up on Google and discovered that its a virus/malware that affects Symbian phones and spreads itself via Bluetooth. My phone isn't a Symbian, so the virus was DOA.

About a week ago I had a similar thing happen while on the Skytrain (but in that case I didn't notice the alert until I got off, so I didn't actually receive the file). When I look back at it, that could also have been the same thing (it was from another Symbian phone).

Just wondering if this is common - has anyone else come across CARIBE?

Edited by Crushdepth

Last night I went to Pump Up for New Years, and I got sent a file over Bluetooth on my mobile phone (which I accepted just out of curiosity)

This is how almost all viruses/worms/trojans propogate...don't do that.

Full info and programs to remove it are here:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/cabir.shtml

If your phone is turned on now its probably searching for another gullible victim.

cv

happened to me about a month ago , recvd a message , opened it , it consisted of symbols and numbers and then the phone turned itself off.

couldnt turn it on.

took it to a mobile phone shop and the guy plugged it into his computer for 10 minutes and got the thing going again.

• 2 weeks later...

The Wife's mobile caught this Caribe thing over the weekend (probably in Central Chit lom)

I thought the phone was broke till she took it to the shop. A virus on the phone never crossed my mind.

I was with her but I never use bluetooth as it drains the batteries... a lucky escape.

I came across it again at at restaurant a few days ago on Ratchayohtin. Seems to be a bit of an epidemic!

If you reject the file it just tries to resend so it jams up your phones interface with requests, which is a bit annoying but putting your bluetooth in non-discoverable mode is enough to stop it.