Rode The Cop's Tiger

Hog Head

I have the local BIB come by several times a day to keep an eye on my house and fil in their little book in the red box on my gate. The Cop is a nice young guy and has taken an intrest in my bikes and workshop goings on.

Yesterday he showed up on a brand new Tiger 250 as I was pulling in on my BMW-1150RT. I asked him about the Tiger and next thing he offered me to take it for a ride. Only 650 km on the clock so I thrashed it gently up the road and gave the brakes a bit of a try. Not impressed with the buzzy engine, lack of power, middling brakes and suspension. The cop was less enthuastic and deemed it a POS. More intresting was his comment that the choice of Tiger for the Cop's ride was a result of corruption, but between my poor Thai and his poor English I could not make out the entire story.

Only in Thailand would a Cop let you take his bike for a ride. Today I am going to see if I can play with his gun

I have the local BIB come by several times a day to keep an eye on my house and fil in their little book in the red box on my gate. The Cop is a nice young guy and has taken an intrest in my bikes and workshop goings on.

Yesterday he showed up on a brand new Tiger 250 as I was pulling in on my BMW-1150RT. I asked him about the Tiger and next thing he offered me to take it for a ride. Only 650 km on the clock so I thrashed it gently up the road and gave the brakes a bit of a try. Not impressed with the buzzy engine, lack of power, middling brakes and suspension. The cop was less enthuastic and deemed it a POS. More intresting was his comment that the choice of Tiger for the Cop's ride was a result of corruption, but between my poor Thai and his poor English I could not make out the entire story.

Only in Thailand would a Cop let you take his bike for a ride. Today I am going to see if I can play with his gun

:o

Not impressed with the buzzy engine, lack of power, middling brakes and suspension.

Well sure, it can't compare to a BMW or even a real Japanese bike, but for only ~80,000 I have to admit that the Tiger 250 sounds like a good value. I say any bike is better than no bike!

Happy Trails

I was not aware that the Thai police has changed the standard motorcycle, as far as I know they (Thai police) still buy Boxer 200 motorcycles. And if they would move to another Tiger model, they have to open new negotiations, new contract etc... The Boxer 250 RS is not a replacement for the Boxer 200

I was not aware that the Thai police has changed the standard motorcycle, as far as I know they (Thai police) still buy Boxer 200 motorcycles. And if they would move to another Tiger model, they have to open new negotiations, new contract etc... The Boxer 250 RS is not a replacement for the Boxer 200

I'm no expert on Tiger Motorcycles, but I thought that other than the addition of 50cc that the the Boxer 200 and the Boxer 250RS are almost identical, no? They sure look the same...

A case of "Same Same But Different"? :o

I have the idea that the comparison Tiger Boxer 200 PX, SE or R vs Honda CBR-150R is done already.

And if the Thai police selected the Tiger Boxer 200 due to corruption, I need to learn how Tiger does that... As I did read that the police in the Philippines is also going for the Tiger Boxer 200...

Edited by Richard-BKK

And if the Thai police selected the Tiger Boxer 200 due to corruption, I need to learn how Tiger does that... As I did read that the police in the Philippines is also going for the Tiger Boxer 200...

As I said I did not fully understand the Cops comments on corruption.

BTW, there is no corruption whatsoever in the Philippines either

I have been looking at Tiger pics and the Cop's had conventional forks and non-piggyback shocks. What model is this as Tiger info seems lacking on-line

Hi BikeBikeBKK,

They look indeed very similar, but the Boxer 250 RS, which is actual a 239cc shares the same cylinder bore, but the piston is different, and the stroke is completely different.

Also there are a few smaller details, like different front forks and rear swingarm, different exhaust system and some other differences.

Hi Hog head,

first i want to say im a real BMW fan as well i rode several BMW's Back in Belgium. I still have a classic 500 cc 1957 .

second How can we compare a BMW with a Tiger Boxer its a only 1/ 10 of the price its a lot easier for the Germans to make a good bike if you can invest that much on a Bike. for TIGER the task is a lot heavier to produce a good bike for only 72000 Bht.

third. I spoke to the Tiger factory boys. they arent aware of any 250 Rs used by the police. So next time check what you are riding on ?

fourth. The reliability of Tiger is a lot more accepted in the philippines coz thais only believe in overseas bikes..Every month Tiger receives more and more orders from the Philippines cops.

fifth . The Tiger Boxer 250 Rs is a complete different motorbike. and is more bike than the 200 cc sister

Continue enjoying your BMW good bike.

second How can we compare a BMW with a Tiger Boxer its a only 1/ 10 of the price its a lot easier for the Germans to make a good bike if you can invest that much on a Bike. for TIGER the task is a lot heavier to produce a good bike for only 72000 Bht.

I didnt read him compare it to a BMW at all.. Only comment that he was using his BMW when he bumped into the cop..

It was compared to the CBR tho..

Sorry for my bad English, with the police comment I only wanted to say that Tiger doing pretty good having police forces of two countries buying their motorcycles.

And I not suggest that there is no corruption in the Philippines, I only wished that I know how they did it... (Also without suggesting that they used corruption to land the contract, as I simply not know the details)

Still the Thai police force is 250,000 officers strong, I see most Thai police officers in pairs on the bike so that would be 125,000 Tiger Boxer 200 (the amount of motorcycles is a rough guess). Now I have no idea how big the Philippine police force is, but belief that it would be bigger... more islands, less structure ..etc.. Anyway the amounts of Tiger Boxer 200's sold or being sold need to be a record number for a single motorcycle model.

I hope by "to see if I can play with his gun" you're talking about his six shooter...... :o

Drat Dave, you beat me to the bad sexual inuendo about riding the cops tiger, and playing with his gun!

On a side note, and not that this may or may not have to do with the conversation, I am pretty sure the Tiger isn't the only motorbike model in the police force's garage. I have seen them on CBR's, old kawasaki's and what have you. So I do not necessarily think there are 125,000 bought by the police force.

Edited by submaniac

Hi Submaniac,

As I understand all Police motorcycles would be replaced by Tiger Boxer 200 motorcycles, and sure some previous motorcycle will stay longer in service then others.

Probably the first wave of bike replacements was/is focused on 2-stroke replacement. Second I'm aware that some police officers have a Honda CBR 150R, but as the president of Honda said Honda will stop selling carburetor motorcycles before the end of this year.

And again the number of police motorcycles is a rough guess, as we only have a few numbers a fact being 250,000 police officers and 1,444 police stations. Some of this police stations are operated by only a few police officers... so in that guess more motorcycles per officers then in case of Bangkok where the norm is 2 police officers on 1 bike... Additional most Bangkok Traffic police ride alone on a motorcycle...

Edited by Richard-BKK

how long is first and second gear?

:o Bikers and police are not supposed to fratinize. Deary me, whatever next?!

In light of comparing a BMW 1150RT (1130cc) to a 200cc single cylinder, lets compare the 1130cc BMW to any of its rivals in it own class...

I bet that the 95 horsepower is not impressing too many people, with the weight of 279kg. Compared to the Yamaha XJR1300 which offers 105 horsepower and the overall weight is 254 kilo.

Still with the Yamaha offering more acceleration power and stopping faster by having less weight (maybe the BMW wins with the linked braking system)

BMW 1150 RT has Power/weight ratio of 0.3680 HP/kg..

Yamaha XJR1300 has Power/weight ratio of 0.4343 HP/kg.

A new BMW 1200 RT costs 1,091,000 Baht (1150 RT is a old model)

A new Yamaha XJR1300 is 777,000 Baht..

Edited by Richard-BKK

In light of comparing a BMW 1150RT (1130cc) to a 200cc single cylinder, lets compare the 1130cc BMW to any of its rivals in it own class...

I bet that the 95 horsepower is not impressing too many people, with the weight of 279kg. Compared to the Yamaha XJR 1300 which offers 105 horsepower and the overall weight is 254 kilo.

105HP for 1300cc engine isn't impressive either.

Tested my 240kg, modifyed 1400cc and came out with whooping 192HP.

Hi CroBiker,

I try to keep things comparable, as I can find on the internet that more people compare the BMW 1150 RT with the Yamaha XJR1300 and in road-handling and riding comfort they seem very compatible.

And I looked to acceleration and braking, the Yamaha is clearly faster in acceleration and with braking, they both seem to do very well...

I bet that the 95 horsepower is not impressing too many people, with the weight of 279kg. Compared to the Yamaha XJR 1300 which offers 105 horsepower and the overall weight is 254 kilo.

105HP for 1300cc engine isn't impressive either.

Tested my 240kg, modifyed 1400cc and came out with whooping 192HP.

105 hp for a 1300cc engine? The Japanese 600s are making 105 hp. The 2008 CBR1000rr makes 178hp.

Edited by submaniac

I agree, many motorcycles with similar engine displacement perform better then either the BMW 1150 RT or the Yamaha XJR1300. But the XJR1300 and the BMW are both something what I would call semi-touring motorcycles, both have a air/oil-cooled engine... and as I said before I selected the XJR1300 as it is also official available in Thailand so it is comparable. The BMW 1150 RT is not available anymore as it is replaced by the BMW 1200 RT.

First This is a very silly topic .Everything has been written before. Comparing whatever bike to the boxer . How many of this topics will be opened here.

Other candidates wanted ??????????

Last year Tiger delivered 20000 boxers to the Thai police and this year again. The Pilippine police isnt ordering bikes in large qty, coz there is no such a central order or however you call it (sorry for my limited English knowledge). Each police station has a small independence to spend money on bikes. Boxer is receiving every month approx 50 orders.

Last Year the Philippine cops nearly didn't order boxers. Since Tiger Beat the so called best bikes in the world JAPANESE.(tiger told there toughest competitor is YAMAHA) . Orders are rolling in frequently.

I suggest To Tiger to start competing here in Thailand too . It should change the Thais their stubborn mind. The only problem is Tiger is producing at about 95% of their production capacity.Even the E- Boxer is not figured in yet .And is really going well too .

The point that im making here is. I ve been reading so many posts about Tiger . No spare parts available , no orders , nearly bankrupt , bad qlty , etc

I own a Tiger myself and went to the factory several times . Good bike and the best service I ever witnessed in Thailand. I can only say all these posts were absolutely wrong and false rumors. some Thais told me TIGER is bad ,without ever ridden one.

Who's next to start another similar topic . Maybe TV should give a trophy ......