Need Advice On Technology

BillyBobThai

I will be moving to an area 60 km south of Pichit in the next few months that does not have any phone lines. From what I have read on several of the threads here on TV, the TOT satalite internet does not sound like a very good option. I have not had a cell phone since moving to Thailand 5 yr. ago, but it looks like that might change.

HELP! What can I do??

Although its due to be phased out, I'm pretty sure CAT offers CDMA coverage for that area. I think the price isunder 1000B a month, plus the initial price of a CDMA modem, or phone with a built in CDMA modem.

I couldn't tell you about satellite.

Or you can wait until next century for 3G coverage and HSDPA :o

Although its due to be phased out, I'm pretty sure CAT offers CDMA coverage for that area. I think the price isunder 1000B a month, plus the initial price of a CDMA modem, or phone with a built in CDMA modem.

I couldn't tell you about satellite.

Or you can wait until next century for 3G coverage and HSDPA :o

Dunno if their service is in your area at this exact moment either, but he's right, the CAT CDMA rules. My friends have them, and rave about them.

The Novatel "Ovation" MC727 is the newest USB CDMA modem in action out here, you can read about it in PhuketGazette -I forget what month, -I think maybe December or Nov. Khun Woody wrote about it. GPS built in. Fast. Up to 3.1mbps mobile download speeds although perhaps you won't actually *get* that on these network nodes.

Where we live 10km outside Chiang Mai city we can get no landline at present, and we've been using the CAT C-motech USB modem for several months now with fairly satisfactory results. The speed has slowed perceptibly since Christmas, and at times (like now) is hardly faster than we get using EDGE with AIS. But dropouts are rare. The C-motech modem cost about 10,000 baht. The monthly fee is 845 baht. I have just done the Thaivisa broadband test (6 o'clock on Saturday evening), and got these results: ping (latency) - 588 ms; download - 514 kbps; upload - 168 kbps. We previously used IP-STAR (satellite), but within a few seeks it deteriorated badly, with frequent total dropouts, till we gave up. The AIS EDGE service is fairly dependable, though not blindingly fast. I've heard some reports that DTAC do a slightly better version.