Colleges Urged To Crack Down On Student Internet Flesh Trade

george

Colleges urged to crack down on student internet flesh trade

BANGKOK: -- Colleges and universities ought to take action against students found to have engaged in "direct-sale" prostitution via social-network websites like Hi5, according to a well-known academic.

Assoc Prof Sukhum Chaloeysap of Suan Dusit Rajabhat University said all institutes of higher learning should admit the problem existed and join forces to combat it.

Some students are said to have touted sexual services on Hi5, which has links to more than 1,000 other websites that openly post students' pictures, many in uniform, and suggestive messages.

He urged the principals of colleges and universities to investigate.

Many students' part-time jobs are affected by the economic slowdown, driving some to prostitution to earn extra money, he said.

He said Suan Dusit had established a call centre to keep students informed and provide counselling on personal and other problems while offering more part-time jobs to support needy students so that they could earn an extra Bt3,000 a month.

Meanwhile, Culture Minister Theera Salukpetch yesterday said the ministry would write to the ICT Ministry, Education Ministry, Social Development and Human Security Ministry and Royal Thai Police as well as Internet service-providers asking them to step up the watch for prostitution on the Web.

He blamed the online student sex trade on youth's faulty values and overspending on luxurious and unnecessary items that drove young people to such lengths to get quick cash.

He called for strong families and proactive educational and religious institutions to counter the trend.

Ramjitti Institute director Dr Amornwit Nakhonthap said the Internet flesh trade was a long-standing issue and he was not surprised that a popular website like Hi5 was used as a channel for it.

He said this reflected young people's idea that switching sexual partners was common and it also changed the erstwhile perspective that only poor children sold themselves, citing a survey that found that most young people in the sex trade were not poor but just wanted money to buy things.

He urged the government to promote healthy values by praising young people who set a good example and to speed up projects to find jobs for students to earn extra money in salubrious ways.

"Direct-sale" student prostitution came to light when Thais aboard urged the Culture Ministry to investigate after they found Thai students, both male and female, posting their pictures, vital statistics, universities and telephone numbers with a view to sexual favours priced between Bt1,500 and Bt3,000.

-- The Nation 2009-02-01

students earning added baht via extracurricular activity of the 'mai supap' (not proper) type

unfortunately for some farang, such students exclusively deal with Thai men, because the communication (online or otherwise) is in their native tongue (pun intended).

How about some equal opportunity here?!

Plus, if the students of ill repute opened online communication with farang, they would get a chance to improve their English skills, and perhaps also their French (...kissing), besides earning added money to buy more skin-whitening cream and pretty new covers for their Bt.9,000 cell phones. ....oh and more stuffed animal toys.

why dont these people go out and get a real job ?

oh i forget , they get paid an absolute pittance of a few dollars for a night serving tables. surviving like that is an absolute struggle, on top of studies.

no wonder they take short cuts

This is all about controlling women, it's their genitals to do with what they please. Criminalizatin of CENSORED doesn't work, it only serves to expose poor women to corruption and violence.

If a govenrment is serious about stopping it criminalize the buyers, like in Sweden.

But then not so many tourists woud still...come .

He urged the government to promote healthy values by praising young people who set a good example and to speed up projects to find jobs for students to earn extra money in salubrious ways.

he urged the government to promote healthy values by renouncing kickbacks , renouncing dubious moral values , turning a blind eye to the myriad of injustices that are perpetrated in this country on a daily basis against the poor , trimming inflated expense accounts , abandoning fact finding junkets with 5 star accommodation , and the accumulation of unusual wealth using insider information.

government survey discovers amazing new use for money.

citing a survey .............. just wanted money to buy things.

This is all about controlling women, it's their genitals to do with what they please. Criminalizatin of CENSORED doesn't work, it only serves to expose poor women to corruption and violence.

If a govenrment is serious about stopping it criminalize the buyers, like in Sweden.

It is criminalized as you suggested, but (as with so many Thai laws) never enforced.

I think its just jealousy.

Before old Thai men could cruise around outside universities in thier BMW or Merc and easily pick up girls willing to sell their bodies.

Now, they are struggling as the girls are in their rooms hooking up with a younger model on the internet, and these old Thai men are getting a little upset about this, and want a return to the "old ways".

I think if they could ban the internet in Thailand, they would. The new Democrat government (run by the old power clique) is trying its best it seems.........

feminist hypocracy from the horse doctor again.

why penalise the men ?

if the women should be allowed to willingly , but for a price , pleasure men with their genitals , then surely men should be free to take them up on the offer.

prostitution will never be stopped , its purely market forces in operation.

what should be targeted is the selling into prostitution of those unwilling to be sold and the prosecution of those who run the trade and those who knowingly patronise the trade.

Actually I don't see it as any of the colleges business at all.

If it isn't on campus and college computers, and they are not out in school uniforms,

then it isn't the colleges business at all.

Not to say it is 'good actions' by these students,

but this is invasive policy, to make certain hi-so wives feel good

about their children's fellow students. They don't like to imagine

THEIR pure as snow kiddies are schooling with part time hookers....

Arrange for jobs that aren't onerous for students time and health,

for a decent pay scale, that would go a long way.

But trying to track down internet sex is a ludicrous waste of resources.

Teach good morals, by example. Not by attepmting the unenforcable

and personally invasive attacks on individuals.

Some students are said to have touted sexual services on Hi5,

I naively signed up for a hi5 account about a year ago to keep in touch with people I knew.

I lasted about 2 weeks the whole thing made me feel like gary glitter.

never saw anything like what the report suggests though. most of the profiles seem to be teeny boppers making silly faces and trying to be popular by competing to add as many "friends" as they can.

Plus, if the students of ill repute opened online communication with farang, they would get a chance to...

Ok, where do I sign up?

:o

Before old Thai men could cruise around outside universities in thier BMW or Merc and easily pick up girls willing to sell their bodies

Not sure about that. Street prostitution is really the bottom of the barrel, not for BMW/Merc owners. There are plenty of young girls at karaoke joints and gentelmen's clubs.

What the universities don't say, but should realise ....

If they want to avoid pushing students towards this type of activity they should cut out all the ridiculous extra expenses they force onto the students. Stupid things like special shirts for particular occasions (that get worn once), flowers or bits and pieces for events they are required to participate in, many 'excursions' that seem to add little to the learning component of the courses. I can't believe the stuff they have to find money to pay for, 500 baht here, 1,000 baht there. Where the hel_l do the unis expect the students to find this money? especially in the rural unis. In most cases, mum and dad can't just hand it over on demand. So that leaves limited time to perform part-time jobs (if they can be found) to get paid an absolute pittance OR .....

AH its just a women thing is it?

Demand and supply....

Cyber sex...the safest sex....future sex.

Hmmmm AI graphics are evolving quickly....soon nobody will be able to differentiate...then only thought crime will exist....

~runs back to Room 101~

Some students are said to have touted sexual services on Hi5,

I naively signed up for a hi5 account about a year ago to keep in touch with people I knew.

I lasted about 2 weeks the whole thing made me feel like gary glitter.

never saw anything like what the report suggests though. most of the profiles seem to be teeny boppers making silly faces and trying to be popular by competing to add as many "friends" as they can.

I joined a few months ago after a (Thai) buddy of mine did, so I could keep in touch and put some (motorcycle) pics online. Haven't seen any sign of uni girls (or others) offering anything.

Must be looking at the wrong profiles or something. Then again, I can't read Thai so I really don't have any idea what they may be offering. :o

Colleges urged to crack down on student internet flesh trade

BANGKOK: -- Colleges and universities ought to take action against students found to have engaged in "direct-sale" prostitution via social-network websites like Hi5

"Direct-sale" student prostitution came to light when Thais aboard urged the Culture Ministry to investigate after they found Thai students, both male and female, posting their pictures, vital statistics, universities and telephone numbers with a view to sexual favours priced between Bt1,500 and Bt3,000.

Apparently, it didn't "come to light" 10 years ago when the exact same was available, but as a hand-held film photo album and write-up descriptions of all available students. Interestingly, the price hasn't changed at all in 10 years.

Edited by sriracha john

Why should anyone other than the two agreeing adults of the transaction and service in question give a hoot? Criminalizing a buyer and allowing someone to sell is just silly all around too. It's done to 'protect the women'. If they where really interested in protecting them it would be legal and regulated, brought into the same realm as any other service job.

Hi :o

I'm on Hi5, too, and it's true - almost daily some girl age between 12 (!!) to 20 adds me as a "friend". It really seems to be some sort of "collecting competition" going on there, i rarely look a the profiles at all bu the ones i do look at usually have hundreds of "friends".

Luckily they rarely contact me at all, if so then in Thai (which i can't read) or in pidgin English...... and, being gay, i'm not interested in those girls anyway :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

Plus, if the students of ill repute opened online communication with farang, they would get a chance to...

Ok, where do I sign up?

:o

Before old Thai men could cruise around outside universities in thier BMW or Merc and easily pick up girls willing to sell their bodies

Not sure about that. Street prostitution is really the bottom of the barrel, not for BMW/Merc owners. There are plenty of young girls at karaoke joints and gentelmen's clubs.

sorry but you are wrong........take a walk around the outside of lumpini park in the evening....you will see many very young looking girls getting picked up by thai men in expensive cars...

This is not a solely Thai problem, its happening all over the world even with high school girls. In my country they investigate the matter and find out that they even have sex for a credit on their SIM card. In Japan its a well know phenomena that female students do it to buy luxury goods.

Actually I don't see it as any of the colleges business at all.

If it isn't on campus and college computers, and they are not out in school uniforms,

then it isn't the colleges business at all.

Not to say it is 'good actions' by these students,

but this is invasive policy, to make certain hi-so wives feel good

about their children's fellow students. They don't like to imagine

THEIR pure as snow kiddies are schooling with part time hookers....

Arrange for jobs that aren't onerous for students time and health,

for a decent pay scale, that would go a long way.

But trying to track down internet sex is a ludicrous waste of resources.

Teach good morals, by example. Not by attempting the unenforceable

and personally invasive attacks on individuals.

That part could start by universities coming down hard on the professors busted on "sex for good grades" which was the subject of two separate and recent threads.

Read what a Thai newspaper has to say on the matter. A translation in English from 31 Jan, Thai Raj issue. Plus photo.

Selling Sex on the Net: Direct Sales

Thank you for that very interesting report, but you forgot to include the photo from the article with your informative link.

Mai pen rai.... I got it:

hi5studentsellsex.jpg

:o Seriously tho', a good write-up.

I also like how the individual university's distinctive buttons and pins are deleted with the photos.

Edited by sriracha john