Want To Be A Short-term Monk

Jason999

I wish to be a short-term monk and hope to have the chance to learn from a prominent master.

Have you done any retreats? If not I strongly recommend that you do a few structured retreats first, this will prepare you as well as give you a better idea what you'd be looking for in a teacher.

If you let where you are located we can probably recommend suitable retreat centres or wats.

I'm thinking of doing retreats in chiang mai. I'm a vegetarian and hope to improve my meditation skill.

In Chiang Mai I know of a monestery called Wat Ram Poeng where you can do retreats, though I recall there wasn't much vegetarian food as is the norm in Thailand. You might be able to ordain there after a time.

In the South of Thailand Wat Suanmokh and Wat Kow Tahm both do good 10 day retreats with vegetatrian food, I'd recommend both of them if you haven't done retreats before.

I would agree about Wat Rampoeng in Chiangmai...(on the same road as Wat Umong from CMU but further on a couple of kilos)

If you are staying in CM then go for a look first.

If you are completely new to Buddhism then this may help...

http://www.monkforamonth.com/

One of the 8 precepts at the "monk for a month" website includes:

"Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and decorative accessories"

Does this include antiperspirants?

The only meditation centre that specifically asks you not to use antiperspirants that I've been to are the Goenka ones, in Thailand because most halls are well ventilated a little fragrance is unlikely to irritate your neighbours, not as much as body odour anyway.

I would agree about Wat Rampoeng in Chiangmai...(on the same road as Wat Umong from CMU but further on a couple of kilos)

antiperspirants cannot be used. Well not supposed to. If unscented it could be ok. But I have never smelled a monk that smelled like Old Spice.

I'm nearly certain that Wat Rampoeng wants a 1 month commitment for your first retreat. Wat Chomthong, about an hour's drive south, is also recommended and I believe they too want you to stay for 1 month. Wat Umong will take guests for as long or short as you want. For a quick taste you could try the 2-3 day Monk Chat retreat out of Wat Suan Dok. I've had friends who've been to all of the above and heard good reports. I did a wonderful retreat at Wat Thaton a couple of years ago but unfortunately the meditation center there is now closed.

I'm pretty certain that the Thais never use antiperspirants.... they are more of a Western thing.

It is healthier to perspire and if need be to shower several times a day.

The recommended course for a beginner at Wat Rampoeng is 26 days.... followed by further 10 days retreats.....although they do allow to do ten days if you don't have the time for the longer one.

I'm thinking of doing retreats in chiang mai. I'm a vegetarian and hope to improve my meditation skill.

In Chiang Mai I know of a monestery called Wat Ram Poeng where you can do retreats, though I recall there wasn't much vegetarian food as is the norm in Thailand. You might be able to ordain there after a time.

In the South of Thailand Wat Suanmokh and Wat Kow Tahm both do good 10 day retreats with vegetatrian food, I'd recommend both of them if you haven't done retreats before.

I would most defintely recommend Wat Suanmokh. I was just there. Really great place, with two western monks who speak English and an almost perfect locale to practice meditation.

antiperspirants cannot be used. Well not supposed to. If unscented it could be ok. But I have never smelled a monk that smelled like Old Spice.

:o

I'm pretty certain that the Thais never use antiperspirants.... they are more of a Western thing.

It is healthier to perspire and if need be to shower several times a day.

The recommended course for a beginner at Wat Rampoeng is 26 days.... followed by further 10 days retreats.....although they do allow to do ten days if you don't have the time for the longer one.

Lots of Thais use antiperspirants, as evidenced by supermarket and convenience store shelf space dedicated to the various brands and sizes. Uscented is available.

• 2 months later...

I would like to be a short term monk in Bangkok. Surprising question perhaps but is three days possible because I only stay in Bangkok for few days (1-8 july 2009 and 4 days end of august) with my wife and daughter

Do you know a place, temple,... were this could be possible? :)

I would like to be a short term monk in Bangkok. Surprising question perhaps but is three days possible because I only stay in Bangkok for few days (1-8 july 2009 and 4 days end of august) with my wife and daughter

Do you know a place, temple,... were this could be possible? :)

Why? What do you hope to gain from 3 days as a monk?

Hi

I've seen recommendations for wats in this thread for Chiang Mai and southern Thailand....

wondering if there are any wats recommended in Isaan?

anywhere in isaan would be interesting to me... but especially to know about lower Isaan (e.g. Ubon Ratchathani, Si Saket, Surin, Buriram) would be the most interesting.

thanks much

I think it would be better for you to stay at a monastery in the capacity of an upasaka or anagarika. Take the precepts from a bhikkhu and attend morning and evening chantings plus whatever else is offered such as meditation sessions for lay followers. Help with any Sangha dana or any other ceremonies that take place during your stay.

Most temples would be happy to have you. This would be better than an ordination and deordination which would both entail formal ceremonies to be performed and would take up a decent portion of your first and third day. For such a short stay, my suggestion may seem more practical.

I recommend Wat Marp Jan (www.watmarpjan.org) in Rayong. It is the 73rd branch of Loong Pu Chah's Wat Nong Pah Pong. There are several monks from US and Australia residing there. It is quiet and serene......and near the Suvarnabhumi Bangkok Airport (about 2.5hrs car trip)